Hammock help^*

  • roamingteen
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2006
      Well i am planning my first trip into the rainforest.
      so far i need a hammock and am currently checking out this one.
      http://cgi.ebay.com/Army-Green-GI-Style-Jungle-Hammock-Great-For-Camping_W0QQitemZ180030154384QQihZ008QQcategoryZ16040QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
      or this one
      http://cgi.ebay.com/WOODLAND-CAMO-JUNGLE-HAMMOCK-Cover-Keeps-The-Bugs-Out_W0QQitemZ200029059267QQihZ010QQcategoryZ16040QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
      tell me what you think of these.

      I'm 6 foot 2 and still growing if anyone can suggest something else
      I'd highly appreciate it. bugnets and rain tarp are a must though.
      I'll put ^* next to the subject of my other clone post so that people
      wont keep on looking at the same thing
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 25, 2006
        the first one apears to be gone. The other hammock sells for $19
        dollars and there is a reason....BTW I bought the second one. I
        bought it for my son trying to get him a suitable (and affordable)
        hammock after buying myself an original HH on sale. I took it out
        (the military knockoff) for a few trial runs but never could get it
        to hang like the pics show and also always felt very tipsy in it.
        So why did I foolishly carry it for a 4 day 3 night trip. Well I
        planned to sleep in my HH. However, after my son pronounced his
        hammock junk I decided to give it a go. Flipped it over bout as
        fast as you could say (too late...already flipped it). After the
        boys (there were 3 and one other adult) got done laughing they
        helped extract me from the top of the hammock. I spent that night
        on the ground sans a tarp (lucky it didnt rain at night the whole
        trip) sleeping on a truck windshield reflector. the next night my
        son had to go to the ground. The last night I did again. This was
        before I knew how to make a hammock. There are several hammocks
        available with bug protection that will suit your needs or you can
        study some of the DIY options and still have bug protection. If you
        go the buy route, I higly reccomeded a Speer or HH. There are
        several other good ones but I have no first hand experience with
        those. I would think bug protection would be high on your list
        going to the rainforest.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "roamingteen"
        <roamingteen@...> wrote:

        > Well i am planning my first trip into the rainforest.
        > so far i need a hammock and am currently checking out this one.
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/Army-Green-GI-Style-Jungle-Hammock-Great-For-
        Camping_W0QQitemZ180030154384QQihZ008QQcategoryZ16040QQrdZ1QQcmdZView
        Item
        > or this one
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/WOODLAND-CAMO-JUNGLE-HAMMOCK-Cover-Keeps-The-
        Bugs-
        Out_W0QQitemZ200029059267QQihZ010QQcategoryZ16040QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
        > tell me what you think of these.
        >
        > I'm 6 foot 2 and still growing if anyone can suggest something else
        > I'd highly appreciate it. bugnets and rain tarp are a must though.
        > I'll put ^* next to the subject of my other clone post so that
        people
        > wont keep on looking at the same thing

      • Johan van Dijk
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 26, 2006
          Let me first say that I do not have any experience myself with the hammocks
          mentioned in the original post.

          That said, I have the following questions/remarks/ probable prejudices :-)
          * Tarp section is small, even though the rain forests mostly produce rain
          falling down straight, instead of 'side blown'
          * They are made of canvas: ergo heavy
          * They look, like Coy Boy said, easy to tip out of.
          * They are cheap though...

          I have used my hammock (HH) in the tropical rainforests of Thailand,
          Malaysia, Guatemala and Honduras, with more then 9 months of sleep in it.
          Fwiw, I am 6 foot 1, weight eeh 75 kg (eeeh 165 lbs).

          Now I am still in the (for me steep) learning proces of learning to stay at
          just the right temperature in Holland (nights of about 10-15 celsius, eeh by
          heart about 50-60's F). With a JRB underquilt I am toasty one time, just a
          tad to cold the other time, without any real top blanket cover.

          Even in the jungles I found that my sarong could provide just an extra very
          welcoming layer. So I second Coy Boy's opinion, if you go buying: speer or
          hennessy. There might be others too but my main concern with them is/was
          weight. If money is an issue, you have time and capabilities <eg> go DIY. I
          still want to try a silk DIY one, once my HH is no longer doing the job (and
          my wallet, time schedule etc allow me to <g> )

          Sorry for the short message, gotta go teach some scuba diving in the pool.
          If you wanna have more info, either pm of on the list._,___

          Grtz Johan

          mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
          email: gonewalkabout2003@...

          http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
          http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

        • Jeff Ross
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 26, 2006
            I have one of the GI type that you saw in ebay. It's junk. It's
            heavy, flimsy, and will tip over easily. And a big guy just won't be
            comfortable in it.

            If you are going to "the rainforest" you are probably going to spend
            a lot of money on airplane tickets, ground transportation, etc.
            already. So buying a top quality hammock would be a good investment.
            Besides being comfortable and dry, you MUST keep from getting bit by
            mosquitos as much as possible because of malaria, yellow fever, etc.

            When you get there you probably won't be able to buy anything decent
            to replace bad equipment that you brought with you either. Another
            reason to buy good stuff before you go.

            I am 6' 3", 200lb. I bought a Hennessy Expedition Asym hammock last
            fall, used it on a rainy September backpack elk hunt, and was very
            pleased. The whole thing cost about $300. I've used it several times
            since in good weather. If you buy one of these get the extra big
            rainfly with it. Also get the "under cover" which is a thin foam
            layer and another nylon layer. It's meant for keeping you warmer,
            but it will keep mosquitos from biting you thru the hammock. Are you
            backpacking everything yourself? If you have a way to take more gear
            than you want to carry (like a truck, mules, etc.), take a big (12 x
            16 or so) plastic tarp and some nylon parachute cord and bungies
            too. It's great to have a big dry area for people to hang around in
            when its raining. Kind of a living room, dining room, kitchen area.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Johan van Dijk"