Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Campout Sep 22-24 Hot Springs

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2006
      yep... it was the best "hammock campers campout" yet for me. i enjoyed it greatly. and it was indeed good to see hammockers that i`ve already camped w/ & several that i had not met untill this weekend.
      lots of great hammock talk & demonstration.
      youngblood got religous & baptized both me & karen... it wasn`t a dunking but i sure wouldn`t call it a sprinkling either... somewhere in between i guess :~)
      and ed... how could you not tell the rest of the group about the bear attack???
      karen herd what was going on at bob`s hammock (1st night in a hammock) in the middle of the night & quickly woke ed & sent him over to rescue bob from the bear that bob was trying to fight off !!! ed defused the situation, used the bathroom, & went back to bed. no worrys ed ! and bob just laughed about the bear attack. i think he`s an allright guy.
      i guess that`ll teach us not to tell bear storys before bed. i even got a photo of the tracks the next morn, but i`m not sure how well they turned out.
      speaking of photos, i`m assuming that differant people can add photos to the same album for that campout. so unless someone else gets to it before i do i`ll start an album for that campout... then others can add to it.
      oh yeah... then there`s the gate nazi & threats to tow away our cars:~0...but that may be to much for the rest of the group!!! (just funnin)
      thanks again to ed & karen for a great weekend. ...tim

      Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote: Our Hammock Hangers campout this past weekend in Hot Springs was great fun.
      Our thanks to everyone who came. We had an excellent turnout with 11
      hammocks Friday night & 15 Saturday night! Folks came from as far away as
      CA, MI, OH & FL! GA, WV, TN, & NC were also represented. We welcomed back
      numerous old friends & made some new ones. Michele & Bob got their first
      nights in a hammock-both did just fine. As always, Karen & I were amazed &
      pleased at the instant comrade of such an otherwise diverse group. Of
      course gear discussions & demos ruled the weekend. With me & Karen, Dave,
      Rick, Jeff & Tim, we certainly had the majority of the make-it-yourself
      camping hammock expertise in the US! Everyone eagerly shared & demonstrated
      their gear. The rain Friday afternoon, Saturday night & Sunday am didn't
      seem to damper the group's spirit-but it did rain a lot! We still managed
      to stay dry & slept well. As usual, the Saturday evening hot dog roast went
      well, thanks to Karen's preparation.

      Our next SEHHA Campout will be atop Springer Mtn, GA on New Years' Eve-this
      will be a winter ordeal, so be prepared! Next year, we'll be hosting 3 more
      campouts at Hot Springs (April, June & September)-details as soon as we have
      them. Everyone is invited to these campouts & Karen & I look forward to
      seeing each of you who can make it...Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc