Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Campout Sep 22-24 Hot Springs

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2006
      I sure had fun this weekend Ed. It was great to see so many of my
      on-line hammock camping friends from all over.

      The variety of warmth systems up and ready to be examined was pretty
      incredible. The Nest and its variations was there, my WarmHammock
      variation of the Speer type hammock, your PeaPods, and the Hennessey
      system were all represented.

      I also enjoyed my first AT hike since my July leg breaking accident -
      the seven miles from Tanner's Gap back to the campground. My leg was a
      little sore by Saturday evening, but did fine on Sunday and today.

      It was fun to have the showers on Saturday and then the more steady rain
      on Saturday evening. It is always nice to have real rain to know how
      the systems all work.

      My ride home on the motorcycle started with drizzle and I was into
      pretty heavy rain by the time I reached Kentucky. Then it got really
      heavy with difficulty seeing. But just about the time I reached
      Cynthiana Ky, the sky broke up into beautiful rows of cumulus with
      bright blue inbetween. The temperature dropped from the mid 70s to the
      mid 60s at the same time. I was home in time to have supper with my
      wife and enjoy a nice sunset.

      Rick

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 25, 2006
        Glad you made it home in the rain OK Rick. Boy, you just really caught it
        with the rain this weekend didn't you? Of course, the time you've spent on
        the trail probably has taught you to bend with the weather & make the most
        of it. Anyway, it was great seeing ya at Hot Springs

        All the best on your next adventure in TX...Ed

        _____

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 25, 2006
          yep... it was the best "hammock campers campout" yet for me. i enjoyed it greatly. and it was indeed good to see hammockers that i`ve already camped w/ & several that i had not met untill this weekend.
          lots of great hammock talk & demonstration.
          youngblood got religous & baptized both me & karen... it wasn`t a dunking but i sure wouldn`t call it a sprinkling either... somewhere in between i guess :~)
          and ed... how could you not tell the rest of the group about the bear attack???
          karen herd what was going on at bob`s hammock (1st night in a hammock) in the middle of the night & quickly woke ed & sent him over to rescue bob from the bear that bob was trying to fight off !!! ed defused the situation, used the bathroom, & went back to bed. no worrys ed ! and bob just laughed about the bear attack. i think he`s an allright guy.
          i guess that`ll teach us not to tell bear storys before bed. i even got a photo of the tracks the next morn, but i`m not sure how well they turned out.
          speaking of photos, i`m assuming that differant people can add photos to the same album for that campout. so unless someone else gets to it before i do i`ll start an album for that campout... then others can add to it.
          oh yeah... then there`s the gate nazi & threats to tow away our cars:~0...but that may be to much for the rest of the group!!! (just funnin)
          thanks again to ed & karen for a great weekend. ...tim

          Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote: Our Hammock Hangers campout this past weekend in Hot Springs was great fun.