Mosquitos bite through hammock

  • Jeremy Westcott
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 18 9:00 PM
      I live in east Texas and slept in my hennessy hammock the other night. It was warm so I just
      slept in shorts and no blankets. Every place my bare skin was I got bit by mosquitos. Does
      anyone have tips on using the hennessy in warm areas where you don't want to be sleeping
      on pads or blankets but still have mosquito protection?

      I'm using the Expedition A-Sym. Thanks!
    • list@moz.geek.nz
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 18 9:57 PM
        > anyone have tips on using the hennessy in warm areas where you don't want
        > to be sleeping on pads or blankets but still have mosquito protection?

        I've found that the only reliable way is to attach a layer of mosquito
        netting under the hammock. I'm in the process of sewing a second layer
        on under the hammock to do this and also hold my underpad in place when
        I'm using that. Basic tests without the pad (and lots of pins) make
        me think that it should work reasonably well, although the entry slit
        does need some attention - I'm intending to sew extra velcro along
        there so that I have vercro both sides holding the two layers together
        as well as the bits holding the slit closed.

        HTH
        Moz
      • Wynne Eden
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 21 8:03 AM
          (Not Hennessy specific)

          The first hammock I made/adapted, I made a bug net like a tube with
          drawstrings at each end. It slid over the hammock and ridgeline
          before hanging, cinched down at the foot and I just pulled it up to
          the top and cinched it down when I got in.

          This allowed the bottom to hang lower than the hammock, effectively
          keeping bugs off the nylon.

          If I were doing it again, I'd pre-taper the bottom to reduce the
          amount of weight (minimal) and let it close tighter. You need the
          width at the top to be able to pull it over you effectively.

          One drawback is that I can never get the top pulled completely
          closed, as I am lying in the hammock while doing this.

          Someone has this on their hammock site -- can't remember who or
          where.

          Wynne Eden
          Americus, GA
        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 21 10:30 AM
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Wynne Eden" <stickbow@...>
            wrote:

            > Someone has this on their hammock site -- can't remember who or
            > where.

            http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingBugfree.html
          • Richard Perlman
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 25 9:38 AM
              Jeremy Westcott wrote:
              > Does
              > anyone have tips on using the hennessy in warm areas where you don't want to be sleeping
              > on pads or blankets but still have mosquito protection?

              In August, right after the NE heat wave, I did a section of the Massachusetts AT with my son.
              I used my new Hennessy BP Hyperlite with my new JRB Shenandoah as an underquilt.

              Since I knew it was going to be warm and the bugs in MA can be tenacious, I treated the
              bottom of the hammock with permethrin. For that matter, we treated our clothes, too.

              Believe me, the stuff works. People at the October Mt. shelter were swatting and running
              for cover at dusk, but we were fine in our treated clothes.
              I did have the JRB underquilt hung on the bottom of the hammock, but since it was warm, I had the
              "windows wide open". Read here:
              http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Nesting%20Tricks.htm

              I could hear the bugs, but was not bothered. It was nice being toasty warm on the bottom
              and not having to use my Speer TopBlanket on the really warm nights (I stuffed it between
              the bug netting and the ridge line down at the foot end).

              The last night, at the Mark Noepel Shelter on Mt. Greylock, we were on a ridge, the wind
              was blowing and it was a spectacular, clear night. The temps were in the 50's F, so I
              "closed the windows" on the underquilt, donned my long johns, microfleece pullover, balaclava,
              possumdown sleep socks and cuddled beneath the TopBlanket with the tarp (8 x 10 Speer)
              folded back on the leeward side exposing the stars and moon. What a great night! :-)

              I highly recommend the JRB Shenandoah Summer Quilt.

              Rich
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 25 11:16 AM
                After I discovered that the mossies could bite through the Expedition fabric, I sprayed the bottoms with Permethrin. Seems to work well.

                Note that other models don't have this problem, as they material with a tighter weave.

                Bear