Hanging Hammock

  • run2q
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2006
      I am new to the group and haven't done any hammock camping yet. I recently purchased a
      Byer mosquito hammock and their tree straps. I also bought some nylon backpacker rope
      but I am not sure if it is strong enough for hanging the hammock. It is listed as 1/8 in
      diameter and for use with light weight tents and flys. I am thinking that it is not going to
      be good enough for the weight in a hammock.. What would you use to attach the
      hammock to the tree straps? The tree straps have a loop on each end to put something
      through. Any help would be appreciated.
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2006
        What would you use to attach the
        hammock to the tree straps? The tree straps have a loop on each end to put
        something
        through. Any help would be appreciated.

        Depending on the angle of the hang the tension on the rope can easily exceed
        4 times your weight.

        And you would like some safety factor.

        Try hanging your hammock with your 1/8 rope a short distance above soft
        ground. If it fails only your dignity will suffer (speaking from experience
        your significant other will be very amused).
        Most of us use rope or strapping that is a little more substantial. You also
        want rope that has little or no stretch.

        Ralph

      • Rat
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 26, 2006
          I don't have one but, IIRC the Moskito and the smart strap from Byer
          use a 'biner or a hardware hook to attach the hammock ring to the
          strap system. I think Jeff (or someone) is currently testing the smart
          strap for the Byer. It has an Alu. sliding block or something for
          adjustment.

          Of course you could always just tie a 12' length of Poly strap to the
          ring and use the four-wrap knot, proly save tons of weight.

          Pretty much what to look for is around a 700 pound breaking strength
          of the rope or strap you use minimum. You can always go higher, but
          many times it is much heavier, and usually not needed.

          If you are unsure of the breaking strength you can test it at 'low'
          altitude. It sounds like what you have is similar to 550 cord
          (parachute cord). even though the breaking strength is 550 pounds
          knots can reduce this by 50% or more (usually more). So keep that in
          mind when choosing cord or strap.

          Rat

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "run2q" <trishau@...> wrote:

          > I am new to the group and haven't done any hammock camping yet. I
          recently purchased a
          > Byer mosquito hammock and their tree straps. I also bought some
          nylon backpacker rope
          > but I am not sure if it is strong enough for hanging the hammock. It
          is listed as 1/8 in
          > diameter and for use with light weight tents and flys. I am thinking
          that it is not going to
          > be good enough for the weight in a hammock.. What would you use to
          attach the
          > hammock to the tree straps? The tree straps have a loop on each end
          to put something
          > through. Any help would be appreciated.

        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 26, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@...> wrote:

            > I think Jeff (or someone) is currently testing the smart
            > strap for the Byer. It has an Alu. sliding block or something for
            > adjustment.

            I'm testing the Crazy Creek...it has a sliding buckle like that. Not
            the Byer, though.

            > It sounds like what you have is similar to 550 cord
            > (parachute cord). even though the breaking strength is 550 pounds
            > knots can reduce this by 50% or more (usually more).

            Yep - a few folks here have broken 550 cord on hammocks. Lucky no one
            was watching...

            Jeff