Shoulder pain

  • RevT
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 13, 2006
      Maybe some folks here can give some recomendations. I'm just starting
      to hammock camp, I have one like Rick's homemade hammock, and a Crazy
      Creek LEX.

      I suffered a shoulder injury a few months ago, and its starting to act
      up again. More of strain in some process in the shoulder. But when I
      sleep in the hamock, it really agrivates it. My bed aggravates it some
      as well, not as much as the hammock, and I'm sure not near as much as
      the ground.

      The main reason is the hammock tends to roll my shoulders in some.
      I've tried adding some slack especially in the crazy creek to allow me
      to lay flater, but I've been experimenting with a new sleeping bag and
      my homemade hammock for cold weather camping and I cant add too much
      slack to it.

      Any suggestions? I cant sleep on my stomach in the hammocks, tried, it
      doesnt work well. Have tried my side, it does ok, but I still get some
      pain from my shoulder rolling down...

      I start Physical Therapy for it at the end of the month, will know
      more about it then.

      Thanks,
      Brian
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 13, 2006
        brian... i don`t know if you use a pad in your hammock, but even a ccf pad will spread the hammock a fair amount.
        i use an exped DAM & shoulder squeze is pretty much a thing of the past.
        ...tim

        RevT <brian.tannehill@...> wrote: Maybe some folks here can give some recomendations. I'm just starting

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 13, 2006
          When I broke my leg the first week of July, I found that 4 weeks later I
          still could not sleep in a hammock. By 8 weeks everything was fine.
          You may just need to do some healing up to sleep comfortably.

          Rick

          RevT wrote:
          > Maybe some folks here can give some recomendations. I'm just starting
          > to hammock camp, I have one like Rick's homemade hammock, and a Crazy
          > Creek LEX.
          >
          > I suffered a shoulder injury a few months ago, and its starting to act
          > up again. More of strain in some process in the shoulder. But when I
          > sleep in the hamock, it really agrivates it. My bed aggravates it some
          > as well, not as much as the hammock, and I'm sure not near as much as
          > the ground.
          >
          > The main reason is the hammock tends to roll my shoulders in some.
          > I've tried adding some slack especially in the crazy creek to allow me
          > to lay flater, but I've been experimenting with a new sleeping bag and
          > my homemade hammock for cold weather camping and I cant add too much
          > slack to it.
          >
          > Any suggestions? I cant sleep on my stomach in the hammocks, tried, it
          > doesnt work well. Have tried my side, it does ok, but I still get some
          > pain from my shoulder rolling down...
          >
          > I start Physical Therapy for it at the end of the month, will know
          > more about it then.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Brian
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • RevT
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 13, 2006
            Well the injury happened last Oct. It was good for a while but now its
            come back like twice as much. I've been more active at work though.
            The new job requires more manual labor type stuff. So I think thats
            part of it.

            Thanks for the help everyone,
            Brian

            > When I broke my leg the first week of July, I found that 4 weeks later I
            > still could not sleep in a hammock. By 8 weeks everything was fine.
            > You may just need to do some healing up to sleep comfortably.

          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 13, 2006
              I second the Exped recommendation if you can afford it. The Exped in
              the Crazy Creek LEX is the only way I can actually sleep on my stomach
              in a hammock (otherwise I just spend a few minutes at a time on my
              stomach). It opens the hammock up much better than my ThermaRest and
              makes the hammock lay much flatter.

              Actually, I don't think that hammock is very comfortable w/o that pad.

              Jeff

              > brian... i don`t know if you use a pad in your hammock, but even a
              ccf pad will spread the hammock a fair amount.
              > i use an exped DAM & shoulder squeze is pretty much a thing of
              the past.
              > ...tim
            • RevT
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 13, 2006
                Hey send me yours so "I can try it before I buy it" I mean being in school
                and all you dont really have the time to test it out....Plus your trip to
                the east coast and such, would hate for such a peice of gear to just sit all
                alone at your house...LOL

                Brian

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 14, 2006
                  Shoulder squeeze in a hammock can be a factor of many things. I've
                  had it before but nothing of a serious nature and for me it occured
                  on my 'outside' shoulder when I lay on a diagonal. I found sleeping
                  down the center of the hammock, slightly rotating my sleeping
                  position or laying on the opposite diagonal would relieve the
                  squeeze on the sensitive shoulder. Of course laying down the center
                  tends to hyper extend the knees so you may need to put some type of
                  padding under your knees if you do that so you don't just trade one
                  problem for another. Another issue that sometimes comes up is
                  sensitivity on the back of your heel and with that one laying more
                  on your side or having a thicker air mat sometimes helps.

                  Likes others have mentioned, various types of pads effect the lay of
                  a hammock as well as the stretch of the fabric the hammock is made
                  of, the length, the width and the sag of the hammock. With some
                  experimenting you will soon figure out how all that plays out.

                  Dave

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, RevT <brian.tannehill@...>

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 14, 2006
                    Thanks again to everyone for the advice. I took my therma rest
                    basecamp model out and put it in the hammock tonight. I only got to
                    lay in it a few minutes before I had to go pick up a kid, but I could
                    tell right off that the pad made the hammock lay flater. This is my
                    homemade hammock btw.

                    The pad is too wide for the pad holder in my crazy creek, but I could
                    possible use it in there. Something else to test.

                    It will also provide some much needed warmth as its about an inch or
                    so thick. I'll wrap my sleeping bag around me and the hammock. I also
                    have a larger 0 deg bag that I'm going to have a friend modify for me
                    to be able to run the hammock through the bag. She sews REALLY well so
                    I'll ask her to sew a zipper or something like that in it. All these
                    Ideas I gleamed from Coy Boy when we hiked together last year in
                    Bama....

                    Thanks,
                    Brian
                  • Fuzzy
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 25, 2006
                      I third the recommendation - sort of. I use a Big Agnes Insulated
                      Air Core in the Crazy Creek LEX I am testing, and it keeps enough
                      pressure off my shoulders for any sleeping position, even when not
                      fully inflated.

                      Fuzzy
                      back to lurking...