Re: [Hammock Camping] How can I stay COOL & MOSQUITO FREE in a Hennessy in Texas????

  • Scott Schroeder
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 13, 2006
      I did part of the four C trail about two years ago in august....so I
      know what you are talking about. Just sleep nekid and spray the bottom
      of you hammock with permethrin. You can buy the stuff made for clothes
      at wally world I believe. Works like a charm for me.

      good luck
      scott

      On 9/13/06, gladjeremy <jeremywestcott@...> wrote:
      > I recently bought a hennessy hammock and want to use it in my yard in
      > east Texas. HEAVY MOSQUITO COUNTRY. And these guys are big (everything
      > is in Texas, right?), and they don't give up, and they're fast too.
      >
      > Anyway, first night out there I got several bites in about 10 minutes
      > from the underside of the hammock. I was in shorts and t-shirt.
      >
      > Last night I put down one of those reflector emergency blankets and
      > that kept them off. But my back was sweating and wet through my
      > t-shirt. And the relfector blanket was a pain to get situated. I had
      > one small part of bare skin between my pant leg and sock which didn't
      > have the reflector blanket under it and sure enough I woke up about an
      > hour later with a bite right there!
      >
      > I know putting down a sleeping bag would solve it, but then I'd be too
      > hot. Has anyone had any experience with this? I just want to keep cool
      > but find something to lay on that will keep out the mosquitos. If I
      > were full clothing I'll be sweating all night.
      >
      > Thanks!
    • Matthew
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 13, 2006
        Ditto on what Scott said. Permethrin will do the trick, even with
        those TX skeeters. By the way,the 4-C is a great little trail. Very
        kid friendly. I took my son on an overnighter there this past March.
        Always enjoy it down there.
        Matt

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Schroeder"
        <schrochem@...> wrote:

        > I did part of the four C trail about two years ago in august....so
        > know what you are talking about. Just sleep nekid and spray the
        bottom
        > of you hammock with permethrin. You can buy the stuff made for
        clothes
        > at wally world I believe. Works like a charm for me.
        >
        > good luck
        > scott
        >

        > On 9/13/06, gladjeremy <jeremywestcott@...> wrote:
        > > I recently bought a hennessy hammock and want to use it in my
        yard in
        > > east Texas. HEAVY MOSQUITO COUNTRY. And these guys are big
        (everything
        > > is in Texas, right?), and they don't give up, and they're fast
        too.

        > > Anyway, first night out there I got several bites in about 10
        minutes
        > > from the underside of the hammock. I was in shorts and t-shirt.
        > >
        > > Last night I put down one of those reflector emergency blankets
        and
        > > that kept them off. But my back was sweating and wet through my
        > > t-shirt. And the relfector blanket was a pain to get situated. I
        had
        > > one small part of bare skin between my pant leg and sock which
        didn't
        > > have the reflector blanket under it and sure enough I woke up
        about an
        > > hour later with a bite right there!
        > >
        > > I know putting down a sleeping bag would solve it, but then I'd
        be too
        > > hot. Has anyone had any experience with this? I just want to
        keep cool
        > > but find something to lay on that will keep out the mosquitos.
        If I
        > > were full clothing I'll be sweating all night.
        > >
        > > Thanks!

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 13, 2006
          Permethrin should work. If you don't like chemicals, you could make a
          JRB Weather Shield out of no-see-um netting. Probably weigh a few
          ounces and wouldn't cut down on the breeze too much.

          You could call it the Skeeter Shield. It would keep skeeters from
          coming in any gaps you have in the entry slit, too (unless the gap was
          higher up than the net covers).

          Jeff
        • Rosaleen Sullivan
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 13, 2006
            Jeremy -

            I am guessing that you bought an Asym deluxe or possibly a Hyperlight. The Deluxe models have an oxford-like bottom material that is great for breathability, but those darn mosquitoes can stick their little proboscises right through the fabric and into the hammocker's body. DANG! The Hyperlight has a 30 dn bottom fabric that is tightly woven, but stretches a bit, so I don't know if it is bite-resistant.

            The Permethrin idea is probably a great first line of defense. I like the dangling bottom screen sprayed with Permethrin, too. In a more northerly clime, I'd suggest a light foam pad, but for where you are--the Permethrin and maybe hanging bug net sound like the way to go.

            Best of Luck!

            Rosaleen

            How can I stay COOL & MOSQUITO FREE in a Hennessy in Texas????
            Posted by: "gladjeremy" jeremywestcott@...<mailto:jeremywestcott@...> gladjeremy

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 14, 2006
              Jeremy,

              I also am in Texas just north of Houston and have had
              a similar problem with mosquitos getting me through my
              HH Explorer UL.

              I sprayed it down heavily with Permethrin and that has
              done the job.

              Mike

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Rat
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 14, 2006
                I'm not sure why no one has mentioned this...but have you tried
                Permethrin yet? :)

                While Permethrin works I use a little different method. I use a Speer
                type hammock BTW. I built a bug net similar to the Guardian by ENO.
                This way I can sit in my hammock (as a chair)or lie in it and be
                skeeter free either way.

                Rat