Colorado overnight hike

  • parkscarey
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 12 5:46 PM
      Looking for ideas here. I have a business trip brewing to Loveland CO
      and might be able to influence the date a little bit. Are there any
      dates to avoid in the next couple months because all the camping spots
      will be full? I'm looking for an easy hike to a quiet spot. I'll only
      have two days, and I'll probably have to catch a plane on the evening
      of the second one.

      Thanks in advance for your ideas,

    • RevT
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 12 6:04 PM
        I'm thinking your best bet would be Rocky Mtn National Park in Estes
        Park. Prolly wont be too many people there since its after Labor day,
        but will still have folks in it. Dont have any hikes off hand, havent
        been there but if you goole it there are lots of resources. Ask Shane
        he just came from there too as a flatlander...

        Brian

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 12 6:33 PM
          I've heard from my son that the National Forest next to the national
          park is just as pretty and without all the limitations and rules for entry.

          Rick

          RevT wrote:
          > I'm thinking your best bet would be Rocky Mtn National Park in Estes
          > Park. Prolly wont be too many people there since its after Labor day,
          > but will still have folks in it. Dont have any hikes off hand, havent
          > been there but if you goole it there are lots of resources. Ask Shane
          > he just came from there too as a flatlander...
          >
          > Brian
          >

          >> Looking for ideas here. I have a business trip brewing to Loveland CO
          >> and might be able to influence the date a little bit. Are there any
          >> dates to avoid in the next couple months because all the camping spots
          >> will be full? I'm looking for an easy hike to a quiet spot. I'll only
          >> have two days, and I'll probably have to catch a plane on the evening
          >> of the second one.
          >>
          >> Thanks in advance for your ideas,
          >>

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • lakewood_matt
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 13 5:31 AM
            Hey Carey,

            I live in Denver so I don't know the area west of Loveland that well, but you do have
            Roosevelt Natl. Forest in that area. You could purchase a trails illustrated map of that
            area to check it out. I have spent time west of Ft. Collins in the Poudre Canyon, lots of
            fun stuff there and not too far from Loveland. One thing to consider is the temps
            depending the time of year. It is starting to get cold in the mtns already. And, you wont
            have a problem finding an open campsite this time of year or any time for that matter.
            You can camp anywhere in Natl forest land and Colorado has lots of that.

            Good Luck!
          • Dick Matthews
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 13 5:58 AM
              Snow is possible in the high country anytime now. Sooner is better.

              I seldom hike in RMNP because most camping in the Park is at designated
              sites.

              Indian Peaks Wilderness is south of the park, has fewer people and is
              almost as pretty.

              Good weather difficult hike:
              Park at Hessie trailhead outside Nederland,
              Hang at Devils Thumb Lake,
              The next day climb to the Divide and hike the CDT for a couple of miles
              and return by King Lake.

              Bad weather:
              Start at Hessie trailhead and hang at Lost Lake. Designated sites, but
              easy hike and should be deserted.

              Check out the Wild Basin area if you just can't pass up RMNP.

              Our first snow above timberline was about August 28.

              Dick Matthews
              Wheat Ridge, CO

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 13 6:48 AM
                Good suggestion Dick, Indian peaks is great and shouldn't be that busy
                right now. Am I correct Dick in thinking that no reservations are
                needed in Indian Peaks after Labor Day?
              • Carey Parks
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 13 7:15 AM
                  Hi Matt, Dick, et al,

                  OK, I'm getting smarter about this now. Assuming I'll be flying out of
                  Denver, maybe it makes more sense for me to be thinking about spending time
                  closer to Denver. I really don't need much to amuse me, I've been living in
                  Cape Coral, Florida for over a year now, and anything with proper trees and
                  a bit of relief will do. I'm thinking of staying low, since even the dang
                  airport is high compared to living at sea level. And cold up high? To me
                  it's cold in most resturants <g>. Camping in the Everglades in July was a
                  tad warm, but still fun.

                  I've not got a "proper" under-anything for the hammock, and was planning to
                  use my two 30 degree semi-mummy bags - one as a quilt and one under the
                  hammock, possibly backed up by the stock HH tarp below and a larger hex tarp
                  above. And a 3/4 inflatable thermarest inside with me. Long poly underwear
                  for sleeping and a wool cap, not a down hood. If you feel I've missed my
                  weather window, with unproven gear and all, please say so, and I'll wait
                  until summer again. I think I can find my winter fleece...

                  Thanks for all the help,

                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 13 7:15 AM
                    No permits are needed after September 15 in Indian Peaks Wilderness.

                    Dick Matthews
                    Wheat Ridge, CO

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 13 12:40 PM
                      Carey,

                      I would not get too far from the car with untested gear. The set up
                      that you describe is OK for Lost Lake until mid October if there is good
                      weather.

                      A better trip might be to JeffCo Open Space White Ranch Park. That is
                      where I test gear.

                      http://jeffco.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R102.htm

                      It is possible to hike in Colorado all year - you just have to choose
                      the altitude.

                      Dick Matthews
                      Wheat Ridge, CO

                      Carey Parks wrote:

                      >Hi Matt, Dick, et al,
                      >
                      >OK, I'm getting smarter about this now. Assuming I'll be flying out of
                      >Denver, maybe it makes more sense for me to be thinking about spending time
                      >closer to Denver. I really don't need much to amuse me, I've been living in
                      >Cape Coral, Florida for over a year now, and anything with proper trees and
                      >a bit of relief will do. I'm thinking of staying low, since even the dang
                      >airport is high compared to living at sea level. And cold up high? To me
                      >it's cold in most resturants <g>. Camping in the Everglades in July was a
                      >tad warm, but still fun.
                      >
                      >I've not got a "proper" under-anything for the hammock, and was planning to
                      >use my two 30 degree semi-mummy bags - one as a quilt and one under the
                      >hammock, possibly backed up by the stock HH tarp below and a larger hex tarp
                      >above. And a 3/4 inflatable thermarest inside with me. Long poly underwear
                      >for sleeping and a wool cap, not a down hood. If you feel I've missed my
                      >weather window, with unproven gear and all, please say so, and I'll wait
                      >until summer again. I think I can find my winter fleece...
                      >
                      >Thanks for all the help,
                      >
                      >Carey

                    • Carey Parks
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 13 3:30 PM
                        Hi Dick,

                        That's looking promising. I can carry my gear around in my (as yet
                        unfinished) G4 as many miles as l like, and then hang 20 minutes from the
                        car. Should something not work as planned, I easily bail. I'm wanting to
                        test my cold weather (first and third seasons) plans before I commit to a
                        longer trip, and my backyard just don't cut it. Even in winter it's a rare
                        night that's below 50.

                        Thanks,

                        Carey Parks wrote:

                        >Hi Matt, Dick, et al,
                        >
                        >OK, I'm getting smarter about this now. Assuming I'll be flying out of
                        >Denver, maybe it makes more sense for me to be thinking about spending
                        time
                        >closer to Denver. I really don't need much to amuse me, I've been living
                        in
                        >Cape Coral, Florida for over a year now, and anything with proper trees
                        and
                        >a bit of relief will do. I'm thinking of staying low, since even the dang
                        >airport is high compared to living at sea level. And cold up high? To me
                        >it's cold in most resturants <g>. Camping in the Everglades in July was a
                        >tad warm, but still fun.
                        >
                        >I've not got a "proper" under-anything for the hammock, and was planning
                        >use my two 30 degree semi-mummy bags - one as a quilt and one under the
                        >hammock, possibly backed up by the stock HH tarp below and a larger hex
                        tarp
                        >above. And a 3/4 inflatable thermarest inside with me. Long poly
                        underwear
                        >for sleeping and a wool cap, not a down hood. If you feel I've missed my
                        >weather window, with unproven gear and all, please say so, and I'll wait
                        >until summer again. I think I can find my winter fleece...
                        >
                        >Thanks for all the help,
                        >
                        >Carey

                      • Dick Matthews
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 13 5:07 PM
                          Carey,

                          My site preference in order is:
                          17
                          18
                          14
                          13
                          19

                          The camp has a great view of the lights of Denver, there usually is a
                          herd of grazing deer, and the gobbling sound is wild turkey.

                          I just posted some pictures of the camp in the Colorado album.
                          Unfortunately, I was testing the Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape on that
                          trip.

                          Dick Matthews
                          Wheat Ridge, CO

                          Carey Parks wrote:

                          >Hi Dick,
                          >
                          >That's looking promising. I can carry my gear around in my (as yet
                          >unfinished) G4 as many miles as l like, and then hang 20 minutes from the
                          >car. Should something not work as planned, I easily bail. I'm wanting to
                          >test my cold weather (first and third seasons) plans before I commit to a
                          >longer trip, and my backyard just don't cut it. Even in winter it's a rare
                          >night that's below 50.
                          >
                          >Thanks,
                          >
                          >Carey

                        • Carey Parks
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 13 5:31 PM
                            Wow Dick, Thanks for putting the pics up. Makes me want to get right on the
                            plane now.

                            Carey

                            Carey Parks wrote:

                            >Hi Dick,
                            >
                            >That's looking promising. I can carry my gear around in my (as yet
                            >unfinished) G4 as many miles as l like, and then hang 20 minutes from the
                            >car. Should something not work as planned, I easily bail. I'm wanting to
                            >test my cold weather (first and third seasons) plans before I commit to a
                            >longer trip, and my backyard just don't cut it. Even in winter it's a
                            rare
                            >night that's below 50.
                            >
                            >Thanks,
                            >
                            >Carey

                          • chcoa
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 14 11:44 PM
                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dick Matthews <dick@...> wrote:

                              > Unfortunately, I was testing the Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape on
                              that
                              > trip.
                              >
                              > Dick Matthews
                              > Wheat Ridge, CO

                              Dick,

                              Why did you say unfortunately, you were testing the Gatewood Cape?
                              Did it not work as planned or just because you had to sleep on the
                              ground?

                              jamie
                            • Dick Matthews
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 15 3:30 AM
                                jamie,

                                I prefer to hang, but above timberline ground dwelling is simple and
                                quick. I enjoy watching sunset/sunrise at 12,000+.

                                The Gatewood Cape works great as a shelter and rain gear.

                                I respect that this is a hammock group and realize that the Gatewood
                                Cape is off-topic.

                                Dick Matthews

                                chcoa wrote:

                                >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dick Matthews <dick@...> wrote:
                                >

                                >>Unfortunately, I was testing the Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape on
                                >>

                                >that
                                >

                                >>trip.
                                >>
                                >>Dick Matthews
                                >>Wheat Ridge, CO
                                >>

                                >Dick,
                                >
                                >Why did you say unfortunately, you were testing the Gatewood Cape?
                                >Did it not work as planned or just because you had to sleep on the
                                >ground?
                                >
                                >jamie

                              • Carey Parks
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 15 5:38 AM
                                  Hi Dick,

                                  Let me help put the Gatewood cape on topic. I was also wondering why you
                                  said it was unfortunate.

                                  I have been wondering what I would do when intending to hang, but once
                                  arriving at the destination (planned or forced destination) I find nothing
                                  from which to hang. I am also working on developing my rain strategy, and as
                                  we know, in the go light world, everything must do two jobs, and the job of
                                  ballast only counts on a sailboat.

                                  I have built a poncho tarp, and found it makes pretty good rain gear, and
                                  works as a replacement for the stock HH tarp. But keeping rain out of the
                                  hood and seams takes some care. I was thinking a cape would be simpler to
                                  make and pitch when needed.

                                  My plan is to use the hammock as bug defence and pitch under my tarp using
                                  two hiking poles. I've tested this in the yard and I would work well enough
                                  in a pinch. What are your thoughts on the Gatewood cape for this purpose?
                                  Both pitching as a tarp over the hammock, or pitching on the ground? The
                                  rectangular shape of my tarp helps it work.

                                  Thanks,

                                  Carey

                                  chcoa wrote:

                                  >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dick Matthews <dick@...> wrote:
                                  >

                                  >>Unfortunately, I was testing the Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape on
                                  >>

                                  >that
                                  >

                                  >>trip.
                                  >>
                                  >>Dick Matthews
                                  >>Wheat Ridge, CO
                                  >>

                                  >Dick,
                                  >
                                  >Why did you say unfortunately, you were testing the Gatewood Cape?
                                  >Did it not work as planned or just because you had to sleep on the
                                  >ground?
                                  >
                                  >jamie

                                • Jeff
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Sep 15 6:20 AM
                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Parks" <cjp129@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > What are your thoughts on the Gatewood cape for this purpose?
                                    > Both pitching as a tarp over the hammock, or pitching on the ground?

                                    There's a picture on the BackpackingLight forums of a GC pitched over
                                    a hammock. Didn't seem to work very well, IIRC. Might be worth
                                    searching for the thread over there if you're interested.

                                    Jeff
                                  • Dick Matthews
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 15 7:22 AM
                                      Carey,

                                      I use a poncho/tarp fly on my HH. I throw a clove hitch around the hood
                                      and tie it up to overhead branches so that it does not become a funnel.
                                      It works very well.

                                      I did a six night trip in August and we got rain three nights and all
                                      seven days we wore our ponchos at some point. I also carried a MacCat
                                      tarp because of the weather forecast. The poncho kept the HH dry and
                                      the MacCat was a great dining fly. The night I hung in the aspen I was
                                      not able to rig the overhead cord for the hood so I just laid the MacCat
                                      under the poncho and over the ridge line. The sky opened up that night
                                      and my shelter was illuminated by every lightening flash. The hood did
                                      leak, but I was dry.

                                      I have not been able to figure out how to use the Cape for a fly. I
                                      spent at night at 12,000 Rogers Pass on the CDT in the Cape. We had a
                                      heavy blowing rain, but the Cape worked great. The Cape is also better
                                      than a poncho on high exposed ridges, but does not vent as well as a
                                      poncho. The Cape is a fine product, but is not compatible with the hammock.

                                      It generally is cool enough above timberline that bugs are not a problem.

                                      Apologies to the group, but I sometimes I sleep on the ground.

                                      YMMV

                                      Dick Matthews

                                      Carey Parks wrote:

                                      >Hi Dick,
                                      >
                                      >Let me help put the Gatewood cape on topic. I was also wondering why you
                                      >said it was unfortunate.
                                      >
                                      >I have been wondering what I would do when intending to hang, but once
                                      >arriving at the destination (planned or forced destination) I find nothing
                                      >from which to hang. I am also working on developing my rain strategy, and as
                                      >we know, in the go light world, everything must do two jobs, and the job of
                                      >ballast only counts on a sailboat.
                                      >
                                      >I have built a poncho tarp, and found it makes pretty good rain gear, and
                                      >works as a replacement for the stock HH tarp. But keeping rain out of the
                                      >hood and seams takes some care. I was thinking a cape would be simpler to
                                      >make and pitch when needed.
                                      >
                                      >My plan is to use the hammock as bug defence and pitch under my tarp using
                                      >two hiking poles. I've tested this in the yard and I would work well enough
                                      >in a pinch. What are your thoughts on the Gatewood cape for this purpose?
                                      >Both pitching as a tarp over the hammock, or pitching on the ground? The
                                      >rectangular shape of my tarp helps it work.
                                      >
                                      >Thanks,
                                      >
                                      >Carey

                                    • Carey Parks
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 15 8:10 AM
                                        Hi Dick,

                                        Thanks for the information. I'm sure you know how much it helps one's peace
                                        of mind as you walk out the door to have someone who's done it tell you it
                                        works vs. just guessing.

                                        I like the idea of backing up the hood hole - it's one of those head
                                        slappers - so simple of course. Maybe it would work to rig a "shingle" over
                                        the hood hole, or re-engineer the hood so the hood is really a flat piece of
                                        material that can lie over the neck hole when used as a tarp, or tied like
                                        the "babushka" my chech grandmother used to wear on her head. Interesting
                                        thought. I'll have to play with it some.

                                        Thanks again,

                                        Carey Parks wrote:

                                        >Hi Dick,
                                        >
                                        >Let me help put the Gatewood cape on topic. I was also wondering why you
                                        >said it was unfortunate.
                                        >
                                        >I have been wondering what I would do when intending to hang, but once
                                        >arriving at the destination (planned or forced destination) I find
                                        nothing
                                        >from which to hang. I am also working on developing my rain strategy, and
                                        as
                                        >we know, in the go light world, everything must do two jobs, and the job
                                        of
                                        >ballast only counts on a sailboat.
                                        >
                                        >I have built a poncho tarp, and found it makes pretty good rain gear, and
                                        >works as a replacement for the stock HH tarp. But keeping rain out of the
                                        >hood and seams takes some care. I was thinking a cape would be simpler to
                                        >make and pitch when needed.
                                        >
                                        >My plan is to use the hammock as bug defence and pitch under my tarp
                                        using
                                        >two hiking poles. I've tested this in the yard and I would work well
                                        enough
                                        >in a pinch. What are your thoughts on the Gatewood cape for this purpose?
                                        >Both pitching as a tarp over the hammock, or pitching on the ground? The
                                        >rectangular shape of my tarp helps it work.
                                        >
                                        >Thanks,
                                        >
                                        >Carey

                                      • Jeff
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Sep 15 8:48 AM
                                          wrote:

                                          > I like the idea of backing up the hood hole

                                          I've used ponchos on the ground in several rain and hail storms. All
                                          I ever did was tighten the hood's drawstring and wrap it several times
                                          around the hood below the face opening. If I'm expecting heavy rains,
                                          making the hood into a gooseneck adds some extra insurance. Never got
                                          leaked on through the hood hole.

                                          If your poncho has a drawstring in the hood, that might be easier than
                                          adding something else to the poncho. And if it doesn't, a simple
                                          string would still work for a gooseneck.

                                          Just a thought...YMMV.

                                          Jeff
                                        • Dick Matthews
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 15 9:03 AM
                                            Carey,

                                            Easy for you to have peace of mind - I often suffer from operator error.

                                            A trash bag attached to the ridgeline with binder clips would work.
                                            Lots of solutions.

                                            For me simple is better because I often out-smart myself.

                                            Dick Matthews