starting from scratch

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 12, 2006
      Steve-

      Another lister already posted that what works for some may not work for others.

      How true! You may even find that what works for you sometimes is not great others. Read everything you can and "try before you buy" when possible. Also, see if you can make it to some events like a Hammock Campout, Trail Days, RUCKS, etc. Most backpacker are willing to show off and maybe even let you try their gear.

      I have a "hammock collection," and select which to bring by anticipated weather, distance to carry, etc. If I'm car camping, I will go with a larger hammock and cushier accessories, but if backpacking over a long distance, especially in mountains during the summer, I may go to my smallest Hennessy and substitute a poncho for the hammock fly.

      What is you home area? You may find that one of us is reasonably close by and can hook up for a weekend so that you can get an up close and personal view.

      Good Luck!

      Rosaleen

      starting from scratch
      Posted by: "stevenleelazarus" steven@...<mailto:steven@...> stevenleelazarus
      Date: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:11 pm (PDT)

      soooo, I'm a 140 pound 5'6" 55 year old AT section hiker and i want to
      buy a hammock and associated 3-season gear. I am very interested in
      saving weight, but comfort/bug protection is definitely important to
      me. Most of the hiking i do is in the spring and the fall. The HH
      hammocks seem really perfect, but can't decide about the pad/quilt
      whatever question... since i don't own anything yet, what is "perfect"?