Re: starting from scratch

  • fugglesrastus
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 12, 2006
      Hello
      I have a HH, the explorer delux asym. I have comfortably slept in
      my hammock during snow falls, using a -15 degree rated down sleeping
      bag, with a 1cm thick cheep $10 close cell foam pad( a double cut down
      the a tear drop shape, to better fit in my hammock, tapered narrower at
      my feet) and to allow easy velcro entrance to my hammock. The cloaths I
      slept in at night, were a set of poly longjohns and long sleeved poly
      top, a wool hat and a polarfleece sweatshirt.
      I use the larger hex fly during winter due to its larger size, and peg
      it down close to my hammock to stop driving rain from wetting my down
      sleeping bag.
      Hope this helps.
      Cheers Heather over in New Zealand.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "stevenleelazarus" <steven@...>
      wrote:

      > soooo, I'm a 140 pound 5'6" 55 year old AT section hiker and i want to
      > buy a hammock and associated 3-season gear. I am very interested in
      > saving weight, but comfort/bug protection is definitely important to
      > me. Most of the hiking i do is in the spring and the fall. The HH
      > hammocks seem really perfect, but can't decide about the pad/quilt
      > whatever question... since i don't own anything yet, what
      is "perfect"?

    • Rosaleen Sullivan
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 12, 2006
        Steve-

        Another lister already posted that what works for some may not work for others.

        How true! You may even find that what works for you sometimes is not great others. Read everything you can and "try before you buy" when possible. Also, see if you can make it to some events like a Hammock Campout, Trail Days, RUCKS, etc. Most backpacker are willing to show off and maybe even let you try their gear.

        I have a "hammock collection," and select which to bring by anticipated weather, distance to carry, etc. If I'm car camping, I will go with a larger hammock and cushier accessories, but if backpacking over a long distance, especially in mountains during the summer, I may go to my smallest Hennessy and substitute a poncho for the hammock fly.

        What is you home area? You may find that one of us is reasonably close by and can hook up for a weekend so that you can get an up close and personal view.

        Good Luck!

        Rosaleen

        starting from scratch
        Posted by: "stevenleelazarus" steven@...<mailto:steven@...> stevenleelazarus