Re: [Hammock Camping] starting from scratch

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11, 2006
      i would say a good place to start would be tothewoods, that`s just jeff`s web site. it has lots of good , sound, basic information (with lots of pictures).
      i could be wrong (i was once :~) but it seems to me that some of the lightest, most effective cold weather set-ups are a speer type (that is a top entry).
      on jeff`s site you`ll also see links to a lot of other hammock links (how to & manufactuers of hammocks & insulation systems, like speer hammocks, jacks r better, etc.
      i`m thinking right now that one of the most effective, versatile systems that a person could get right into & not regret, would be would be a top entry hammock w/ an underquilt... that is if you`ve got the cash to spare.
      ed (of speer hammocks) is one that has a detachable bug net. but if you ( or some one you know well) can sew, i would personaly look at buying a kit from ed & not only save a few bucks, but make the hammock a little more narrow than the stock speer hammock. but that`s just me...& probably jumping to far ahead. ...tim

      stevenleelazarus <steven@...> wrote: soooo, I'm a 140 pound 5'6" 55 year old AT section hiker and i want to
      buy a hammock and associated 3-season gear. I am very interested in
      saving weight, but comfort/bug protection is definitely important to
      me. Most of the hiking i do is in the spring and the fall. The HH
      hammocks seem really perfect, but can't decide about the pad/quilt
      whatever question... since i don't own anything yet, what is "perfect"?

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      (Yahoo! ID required)

      mailto:hammockcamping-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

    • fugglesrastus
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 12, 2006
        Hello
        I have a HH, the explorer delux asym. I have comfortably slept in
        my hammock during snow falls, using a -15 degree rated down sleeping
        bag, with a 1cm thick cheep $10 close cell foam pad( a double cut down
        the a tear drop shape, to better fit in my hammock, tapered narrower at
        my feet) and to allow easy velcro entrance to my hammock. The cloaths I
        slept in at night, were a set of poly longjohns and long sleeved poly
        top, a wool hat and a polarfleece sweatshirt.
        I use the larger hex fly during winter due to its larger size, and peg
        it down close to my hammock to stop driving rain from wetting my down
        sleeping bag.
        Hope this helps.
        Cheers Heather over in New Zealand.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "stevenleelazarus" <steven@...>
        wrote:

        > soooo, I'm a 140 pound 5'6" 55 year old AT section hiker and i want to
        > buy a hammock and associated 3-season gear. I am very interested in
        > saving weight, but comfort/bug protection is definitely important to
        > me. Most of the hiking i do is in the spring and the fall. The HH
        > hammocks seem really perfect, but can't decide about the pad/quilt
        > whatever question... since i don't own anything yet, what
        is "perfect"?

      • Rosaleen Sullivan
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 12, 2006
          Steve-

          Another lister already posted that what works for some may not work for others.

          How true! You may even find that what works for you sometimes is not great others. Read everything you can and "try before you buy" when possible. Also, see if you can make it to some events like a Hammock Campout, Trail Days, RUCKS, etc. Most backpacker are willing to show off and maybe even let you try their gear.

          I have a "hammock collection," and select which to bring by anticipated weather, distance to carry, etc. If I'm car camping, I will go with a larger hammock and cushier accessories, but if backpacking over a long distance, especially in mountains during the summer, I may go to my smallest Hennessy and substitute a poncho for the hammock fly.

          What is you home area? You may find that one of us is reasonably close by and can hook up for a weekend so that you can get an up close and personal view.

          Good Luck!

          Rosaleen

          starting from scratch
          Posted by: "stevenleelazarus" steven@...<mailto:steven@...> stevenleelazarus