Re: Sil nylon wanted

  • Nathan Denn
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 8, 2006
      How do you know the stuff is sil nylon? I bought a bunch of fabric from wally world that is slippery, feels like nylon, water beads up on the one side and it is really really, strong. It is not rip stop though.

      -Nate

      Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.
      -John Muir

    • TPrice21
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 9, 2006
        Did you find your orange silnylon? I have found some. It thicker
        than the 1.1 oz, but definitly water proof. I have also found white
        and gray 1.1 oz sil coated and red 2.2 oz sil coated ripstop. Some
        that is black on one side, white on the other and almost feels
        rubbery? Not sure what type it is, but I think it will make a good
        ground cloth. I have been trying to stock up on any I find. I watch
        about 4 Wal-marts myself and have friends watch another 3.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brona" <i_reiki_u2@...> wrote:

        > I am looking for around 4-6 yards of orange silnylon. So far the
        only
        > color I have found is olive green at the Wally World $1 bin. If
        > anyone finds any orange in the $1 bin at Wal Mart, please grab it
        for
        > me. I'll gladly pay shipping, etc. Thanks, Brona

      • Rosaleen Sullivan
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
          HI, Guys!

          A word of caution RE: Wally World "silnylon." I have checked WalMarts from Florida to New Hampshire and as far west as Ohio as I've traveled and NEVER found silnylon. Of course, you just may have been luckier than I. I have picked up ripstop synthetics that have been either nylon or polyester and some of whichever that have a PU coating (the white rubbery stuff). All have been at least somewhat water resistant. The clerks are unlikely to know what silnylon is, even if you try to explain it to them. The silnylon-like stuff has been great for a lot of different projects, but if I need actual silnylon for a very light and (nearly) waterproof application, I've had to buy it on-line from a dealer truly "in the know." Another of our members sent me a box of pieces left over from projects. The store clerks assured him that the fabrics sold were what he was looking for when he asked for silnylon and described it. Nope! Synthetic taffetas and other somewhat water resistant "stuff," but not one silnylon scrap in the lot. Once you work with silnylon, you will likely recognize what is and what isn't.

          Good Luck!

          Rosaleei

          Re: Sil nylon wanted
          Posted by: "TPrice21" tlp21@...<mailto:tlp21@...> TPrice21

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
            For the first time I found some silnylon at a WalMart $bin today.
            It is the silver grey but oddly, it is 50" wide, include the scree.
            I have seen 1.9 oz RSN before with DWR coating and with a laminate
            and 1.1 oz with no coating as well as DWR coating before. I think
            all the 1.1 oz DWR RSN I have seen has also been silver grey.

            Dave

            <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

            > HI, Guys!
            >
            > A word of caution RE: Wally World "silnylon." I have checked
            WalMarts from Florida to New Hampshire and as far west as Ohio as
            I've traveled and NEVER found silnylon. Of course, you just may
            have been luckier than I. I have picked up ripstop synthetics that
            have been either nylon or polyester and some of whichever that have
            a PU coating (the white rubbery stuff). All have been at least
            somewhat water resistant. The clerks are unlikely to know what
            silnylon is, even if you try to explain it to them. The silnylon-
            like stuff has been great for a lot of different projects, but if I
            need actual silnylon for a very light and (nearly) waterproof
            application, I've had to buy it on-line from a dealer truly "in the
            know." Another of our members sent me a box of pieces left over
            from projects. The store clerks assured him that the fabrics sold
            were what he was looking for when he asked for silnylon and
            described it. Nope! Synthetic taffetas and other somewhat water
            resistant "stuff," but not one silnylon scrap in the lot. Once you
            work with silnylon, you will likely recognize what is and what isn't.

            > Good Luck!
            >
            > Rosaleei
            >
            > Re: Sil nylon wanted
            > Posted by: "TPrice21" tlp21@...<mailto:tlp21@...> TPrice21
            > Date: Sat Sep 9, 2006 7:25 pm (PDT)
            >
            > Did you find your orange silnylon? I have found some. It thicker
            > than the 1.1 oz, but definitly water proof. I have also found
            white
            > and gray 1.1 oz sil coated and red 2.2 oz sil coated ripstop. Some
            > that is black on one side, white on the other and almost feels
            > rubbery? Not sure what type it is, but I think it will make a
            good
            > ground cloth. I have been trying to stock up on any I find. I
            watch
            > about 4 Wal-marts myself and have friends watch another 3.

          • Tracy Price
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
              I had one of my Wal-Marts get in about 4 bolts. 2-1.1oz silnylon White.
              1-1.1oz silnylon gray. 1 silnylon orange (2.2 oz I think. The next size up
              from 1.1oz.). I got all that was left. I visit all of my Wal-Marts from
              time to time and am on a first name basis with the employee's that work in
              the fabric dept. The last stuff I got was black on one side, white on the
              other. It was rubbery feeling. Not sil coated. Thought it might make a
              good ground cloth.

              Tracy Price
              tlp21@...

            • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 13, 2006
                Sounds like there will be some great company next week-end. I look
                forward to seeing some old friends and putting more faces to names
                from the list. Joe and I are heading out for Erwin tomorrow night.
                We'll be hiking in to see you guys on Friday. Everyone travel safely.

                Brian
                T-BACK