Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Sil nylon wanted

  • RevT
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
      > I just bought 4 yards this evening, there is 3 more yards on the bolt.
      > I think it is just ripstop, but it is slippery one one side???
      >
      > Ralph

    • Nathan Denn
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 8, 2006
        How do you know the stuff is sil nylon? I bought a bunch of fabric from wally world that is slippery, feels like nylon, water beads up on the one side and it is really really, strong. It is not rip stop though.

        -Nate

        Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.
        -John Muir

      • TPrice21
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 9, 2006
          Did you find your orange silnylon? I have found some. It thicker
          than the 1.1 oz, but definitly water proof. I have also found white
          and gray 1.1 oz sil coated and red 2.2 oz sil coated ripstop. Some
          that is black on one side, white on the other and almost feels
          rubbery? Not sure what type it is, but I think it will make a good
          ground cloth. I have been trying to stock up on any I find. I watch
          about 4 Wal-marts myself and have friends watch another 3.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brona" <i_reiki_u2@...> wrote:

          > I am looking for around 4-6 yards of orange silnylon. So far the
          only
          > color I have found is olive green at the Wally World $1 bin. If
          > anyone finds any orange in the $1 bin at Wal Mart, please grab it
          for
          > me. I'll gladly pay shipping, etc. Thanks, Brona

        • Rosaleen Sullivan
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
            HI, Guys!

            A word of caution RE: Wally World "silnylon." I have checked WalMarts from Florida to New Hampshire and as far west as Ohio as I've traveled and NEVER found silnylon. Of course, you just may have been luckier than I. I have picked up ripstop synthetics that have been either nylon or polyester and some of whichever that have a PU coating (the white rubbery stuff). All have been at least somewhat water resistant. The clerks are unlikely to know what silnylon is, even if you try to explain it to them. The silnylon-like stuff has been great for a lot of different projects, but if I need actual silnylon for a very light and (nearly) waterproof application, I've had to buy it on-line from a dealer truly "in the know." Another of our members sent me a box of pieces left over from projects. The store clerks assured him that the fabrics sold were what he was looking for when he asked for silnylon and described it. Nope! Synthetic taffetas and other somewhat water resistant "stuff," but not one silnylon scrap in the lot. Once you work with silnylon, you will likely recognize what is and what isn't.

            Good Luck!

            Rosaleei

            Re: Sil nylon wanted
            Posted by: "TPrice21" tlp21@...<mailto:tlp21@...> TPrice21

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
              For the first time I found some silnylon at a WalMart $bin today.
              It is the silver grey but oddly, it is 50" wide, include the scree.
              I have seen 1.9 oz RSN before with DWR coating and with a laminate
              and 1.1 oz with no coating as well as DWR coating before. I think
              all the 1.1 oz DWR RSN I have seen has also been silver grey.

              Dave

              <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

              > HI, Guys!
              >
              > A word of caution RE: Wally World "silnylon." I have checked
              WalMarts from Florida to New Hampshire and as far west as Ohio as
              I've traveled and NEVER found silnylon. Of course, you just may
              have been luckier than I. I have picked up ripstop synthetics that
              have been either nylon or polyester and some of whichever that have
              a PU coating (the white rubbery stuff). All have been at least
              somewhat water resistant. The clerks are unlikely to know what
              silnylon is, even if you try to explain it to them. The silnylon-
              like stuff has been great for a lot of different projects, but if I
              need actual silnylon for a very light and (nearly) waterproof
              application, I've had to buy it on-line from a dealer truly "in the
              know." Another of our members sent me a box of pieces left over
              from projects. The store clerks assured him that the fabrics sold
              were what he was looking for when he asked for silnylon and
              described it. Nope! Synthetic taffetas and other somewhat water
              resistant "stuff," but not one silnylon scrap in the lot. Once you
              work with silnylon, you will likely recognize what is and what isn't.

              > Good Luck!
              >
              > Rosaleei
              >
              > Re: Sil nylon wanted
              > Posted by: "TPrice21" tlp21@...<mailto:tlp21@...> TPrice21
              > Date: Sat Sep 9, 2006 7:25 pm (PDT)
              >
              > Did you find your orange silnylon? I have found some. It thicker
              > than the 1.1 oz, but definitly water proof. I have also found
              white
              > and gray 1.1 oz sil coated and red 2.2 oz sil coated ripstop. Some
              > that is black on one side, white on the other and almost feels
              > rubbery? Not sure what type it is, but I think it will make a
              good
              > ground cloth. I have been trying to stock up on any I find. I
              watch
              > about 4 Wal-marts myself and have friends watch another 3.

            • Tracy Price
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
                I had one of my Wal-Marts get in about 4 bolts. 2-1.1oz silnylon White.
                1-1.1oz silnylon gray. 1 silnylon orange (2.2 oz I think. The next size up
                from 1.1oz.). I got all that was left. I visit all of my Wal-Marts from
                time to time and am on a first name basis with the employee's that work in
                the fabric dept. The last stuff I got was black on one side, white on the
                other. It was rubbery feeling. Not sil coated. Thought it might make a
                good ground cloth.

                Tracy Price
                tlp21@...

              • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 13, 2006
                  Sounds like there will be some great company next week-end. I look
                  forward to seeing some old friends and putting more faces to names
                  from the list. Joe and I are heading out for Erwin tomorrow night.
                  We'll be hiking in to see you guys on Friday. Everyone travel safely.

                  Brian
                  T-BACK