Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Sil nylon wanted

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
      I just bought 4 yards this evening, there is 3 more yards on the bolt.
      I think it is just ripstop, but it is slippery one one side???

      Ralph

      On 9/7/06, Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote:

      > Seriously - buy all the olive sil or DWR you find and I'm sure you can
      > sell it to someone here. Like me.
      >
      > Jeff

    • RevT
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
        > I just bought 4 yards this evening, there is 3 more yards on the bolt.
        > I think it is just ripstop, but it is slippery one one side???
        >
        > Ralph

      • Nathan Denn
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 8, 2006
          How do you know the stuff is sil nylon? I bought a bunch of fabric from wally world that is slippery, feels like nylon, water beads up on the one side and it is really really, strong. It is not rip stop though.

          -Nate

          Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.
          -John Muir

        • TPrice21
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 9, 2006
            Did you find your orange silnylon? I have found some. It thicker
            than the 1.1 oz, but definitly water proof. I have also found white
            and gray 1.1 oz sil coated and red 2.2 oz sil coated ripstop. Some
            that is black on one side, white on the other and almost feels
            rubbery? Not sure what type it is, but I think it will make a good
            ground cloth. I have been trying to stock up on any I find. I watch
            about 4 Wal-marts myself and have friends watch another 3.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brona" <i_reiki_u2@...> wrote:

            > I am looking for around 4-6 yards of orange silnylon. So far the
            only
            > color I have found is olive green at the Wally World $1 bin. If
            > anyone finds any orange in the $1 bin at Wal Mart, please grab it
            for
            > me. I'll gladly pay shipping, etc. Thanks, Brona

          • Rosaleen Sullivan
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
              HI, Guys!

              A word of caution RE: Wally World "silnylon." I have checked WalMarts from Florida to New Hampshire and as far west as Ohio as I've traveled and NEVER found silnylon. Of course, you just may have been luckier than I. I have picked up ripstop synthetics that have been either nylon or polyester and some of whichever that have a PU coating (the white rubbery stuff). All have been at least somewhat water resistant. The clerks are unlikely to know what silnylon is, even if you try to explain it to them. The silnylon-like stuff has been great for a lot of different projects, but if I need actual silnylon for a very light and (nearly) waterproof application, I've had to buy it on-line from a dealer truly "in the know." Another of our members sent me a box of pieces left over from projects. The store clerks assured him that the fabrics sold were what he was looking for when he asked for silnylon and described it. Nope! Synthetic taffetas and other somewhat water resistant "stuff," but not one silnylon scrap in the lot. Once you work with silnylon, you will likely recognize what is and what isn't.

              Good Luck!

              Rosaleei

              Re: Sil nylon wanted
              Posted by: "TPrice21" tlp21@...<mailto:tlp21@...> TPrice21

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
                For the first time I found some silnylon at a WalMart $bin today.
                It is the silver grey but oddly, it is 50" wide, include the scree.
                I have seen 1.9 oz RSN before with DWR coating and with a laminate
                and 1.1 oz with no coating as well as DWR coating before. I think
                all the 1.1 oz DWR RSN I have seen has also been silver grey.

                Dave

                <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

                > HI, Guys!
                >
                > A word of caution RE: Wally World "silnylon." I have checked
                WalMarts from Florida to New Hampshire and as far west as Ohio as
                I've traveled and NEVER found silnylon. Of course, you just may
                have been luckier than I. I have picked up ripstop synthetics that
                have been either nylon or polyester and some of whichever that have
                a PU coating (the white rubbery stuff). All have been at least
                somewhat water resistant. The clerks are unlikely to know what
                silnylon is, even if you try to explain it to them. The silnylon-
                like stuff has been great for a lot of different projects, but if I
                need actual silnylon for a very light and (nearly) waterproof
                application, I've had to buy it on-line from a dealer truly "in the
                know." Another of our members sent me a box of pieces left over
                from projects. The store clerks assured him that the fabrics sold
                were what he was looking for when he asked for silnylon and
                described it. Nope! Synthetic taffetas and other somewhat water
                resistant "stuff," but not one silnylon scrap in the lot. Once you
                work with silnylon, you will likely recognize what is and what isn't.

                > Good Luck!
                >
                > Rosaleei
                >
                > Re: Sil nylon wanted
                > Posted by: "TPrice21" tlp21@...<mailto:tlp21@...> TPrice21
                > Date: Sat Sep 9, 2006 7:25 pm (PDT)
                >
                > Did you find your orange silnylon? I have found some. It thicker
                > than the 1.1 oz, but definitly water proof. I have also found
                white
                > and gray 1.1 oz sil coated and red 2.2 oz sil coated ripstop. Some
                > that is black on one side, white on the other and almost feels
                > rubbery? Not sure what type it is, but I think it will make a
                good
                > ground cloth. I have been trying to stock up on any I find. I
                watch
                > about 4 Wal-marts myself and have friends watch another 3.

              • Tracy Price
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
                  I had one of my Wal-Marts get in about 4 bolts. 2-1.1oz silnylon White.
                  1-1.1oz silnylon gray. 1 silnylon orange (2.2 oz I think. The next size up
                  from 1.1oz.). I got all that was left. I visit all of my Wal-Marts from
                  time to time and am on a first name basis with the employee's that work in
                  the fabric dept. The last stuff I got was black on one side, white on the
                  other. It was rubbery feeling. Not sil coated. Thought it might make a
                  good ground cloth.

                  Tracy Price
                  tlp21@...

                • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 13, 2006
                    Sounds like there will be some great company next week-end. I look
                    forward to seeing some old friends and putting more faces to names
                    from the list. Joe and I are heading out for Erwin tomorrow night.
                    We'll be hiking in to see you guys on Friday. Everyone travel safely.

                    Brian
                    T-BACK