Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Sil nylon wanted

    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
      and if you still have more... i`ll buy some too!!! ...tim

      Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote: Seriously - buy all the olive sil or DWR you find and I'm sure you can
      sell it to someone here. Like me.

      Jeff

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      (Yahoo! ID required)

      mailto:hammockcamping-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
        I just bought 4 yards this evening, there is 3 more yards on the bolt.
        I think it is just ripstop, but it is slippery one one side???

        Ralph

        On 9/7/06, Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote:

        > Seriously - buy all the olive sil or DWR you find and I'm sure you can
        > sell it to someone here. Like me.
        >
        > Jeff

      • Bill III
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
          Ditto on the silnylon!

          --- tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:

          > and if you still have more... i`ll buy some too!!!
          > ...tim
          >
          > Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote: Seriously - buy all
          > the olive sil or DWR you find and I'm sure you can
          > sell it to someone here. Like me.
          >
          > Jeff
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > (Yahoo! ID required)
          >

          > mailto:hammockcamping-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          > removed]

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • RevT
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
            > I just bought 4 yards this evening, there is 3 more yards on the bolt.
            > I think it is just ripstop, but it is slippery one one side???
            >
            > Ralph

          • Nathan Denn
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 8, 2006
              How do you know the stuff is sil nylon? I bought a bunch of fabric from wally world that is slippery, feels like nylon, water beads up on the one side and it is really really, strong. It is not rip stop though.

              -Nate

              Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.
              -John Muir

            • TPrice21
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 9, 2006
                Did you find your orange silnylon? I have found some. It thicker
                than the 1.1 oz, but definitly water proof. I have also found white
                and gray 1.1 oz sil coated and red 2.2 oz sil coated ripstop. Some
                that is black on one side, white on the other and almost feels
                rubbery? Not sure what type it is, but I think it will make a good
                ground cloth. I have been trying to stock up on any I find. I watch
                about 4 Wal-marts myself and have friends watch another 3.

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brona" <i_reiki_u2@...> wrote:

                > I am looking for around 4-6 yards of orange silnylon. So far the
                only
                > color I have found is olive green at the Wally World $1 bin. If
                > anyone finds any orange in the $1 bin at Wal Mart, please grab it
                for
                > me. I'll gladly pay shipping, etc. Thanks, Brona

              • Rosaleen Sullivan
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
                  HI, Guys!

                  A word of caution RE: Wally World "silnylon." I have checked WalMarts from Florida to New Hampshire and as far west as Ohio as I've traveled and NEVER found silnylon. Of course, you just may have been luckier than I. I have picked up ripstop synthetics that have been either nylon or polyester and some of whichever that have a PU coating (the white rubbery stuff). All have been at least somewhat water resistant. The clerks are unlikely to know what silnylon is, even if you try to explain it to them. The silnylon-like stuff has been great for a lot of different projects, but if I need actual silnylon for a very light and (nearly) waterproof application, I've had to buy it on-line from a dealer truly "in the know." Another of our members sent me a box of pieces left over from projects. The store clerks assured him that the fabrics sold were what he was looking for when he asked for silnylon and described it. Nope! Synthetic taffetas and other somewhat water resistant "stuff," but not one silnylon scrap in the lot. Once you work with silnylon, you will likely recognize what is and what isn't.

                  Good Luck!

                  Rosaleei

                  Re: Sil nylon wanted
                  Posted by: "TPrice21" tlp21@...<mailto:tlp21@...> TPrice21

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
                    For the first time I found some silnylon at a WalMart $bin today.
                    It is the silver grey but oddly, it is 50" wide, include the scree.
                    I have seen 1.9 oz RSN before with DWR coating and with a laminate
                    and 1.1 oz with no coating as well as DWR coating before. I think
                    all the 1.1 oz DWR RSN I have seen has also been silver grey.

                    Dave

                    <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

                    > HI, Guys!
                    >
                    > A word of caution RE: Wally World "silnylon." I have checked
                    WalMarts from Florida to New Hampshire and as far west as Ohio as
                    I've traveled and NEVER found silnylon. Of course, you just may
                    have been luckier than I. I have picked up ripstop synthetics that
                    have been either nylon or polyester and some of whichever that have
                    a PU coating (the white rubbery stuff). All have been at least
                    somewhat water resistant. The clerks are unlikely to know what
                    silnylon is, even if you try to explain it to them. The silnylon-
                    like stuff has been great for a lot of different projects, but if I
                    need actual silnylon for a very light and (nearly) waterproof
                    application, I've had to buy it on-line from a dealer truly "in the
                    know." Another of our members sent me a box of pieces left over
                    from projects. The store clerks assured him that the fabrics sold
                    were what he was looking for when he asked for silnylon and
                    described it. Nope! Synthetic taffetas and other somewhat water
                    resistant "stuff," but not one silnylon scrap in the lot. Once you
                    work with silnylon, you will likely recognize what is and what isn't.

                    > Good Luck!
                    >
                    > Rosaleei
                    >
                    > Re: Sil nylon wanted
                    > Posted by: "TPrice21" tlp21@...<mailto:tlp21@...> TPrice21
                    > Date: Sat Sep 9, 2006 7:25 pm (PDT)
                    >
                    > Did you find your orange silnylon? I have found some. It thicker
                    > than the 1.1 oz, but definitly water proof. I have also found
                    white
                    > and gray 1.1 oz sil coated and red 2.2 oz sil coated ripstop. Some
                    > that is black on one side, white on the other and almost feels
                    > rubbery? Not sure what type it is, but I think it will make a
                    good
                    > ground cloth. I have been trying to stock up on any I find. I
                    watch
                    > about 4 Wal-marts myself and have friends watch another 3.

                  • Tracy Price
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
                      I had one of my Wal-Marts get in about 4 bolts. 2-1.1oz silnylon White.
                      1-1.1oz silnylon gray. 1 silnylon orange (2.2 oz I think. The next size up
                      from 1.1oz.). I got all that was left. I visit all of my Wal-Marts from
                      time to time and am on a first name basis with the employee's that work in
                      the fabric dept. The last stuff I got was black on one side, white on the
                      other. It was rubbery feeling. Not sil coated. Thought it might make a
                      good ground cloth.

                      Tracy Price
                      tlp21@...

                    • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 13, 2006
                        Sounds like there will be some great company next week-end. I look
                        forward to seeing some old friends and putting more faces to names
                        from the list. Joe and I are heading out for Erwin tomorrow night.
                        We'll be hiking in to see you guys on Friday. Everyone travel safely.

                        Brian
                        T-BACK