Re: Sil nylon wanted

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
      I haven't had any luck finding the coveted Wally World Sil, so I can't
      help with the orange you want....but if you wanted to part with the
      olive you found, I'd probably be willing to take it off your hands! :)
      Especially if its a dark olive...stealthy 'n' whatnot...

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brona" <i_reiki_u2@...> wrote:

      > I am looking for around 4-6 yards of orange silnylon. So far the only
      > color I have found is olive green at the Wally World $1 bin. If
      > anyone finds any orange in the $1 bin at Wal Mart, please grab it for
      > me. I'll gladly pay shipping, etc. Thanks, Brona

    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
        Seriously - buy all the olive sil or DWR you find and I'm sure you can
        sell it to someone here. Like me.

        Jeff
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
          and if you still have more... i`ll buy some too!!! ...tim

          Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote: Seriously - buy all the olive sil or DWR you find and I'm sure you can
          sell it to someone here. Like me.

          Jeff

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          (Yahoo! ID required)

          mailto:hammockcamping-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
            I just bought 4 yards this evening, there is 3 more yards on the bolt.
            I think it is just ripstop, but it is slippery one one side???

            Ralph

            On 9/7/06, Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote:

            > Seriously - buy all the olive sil or DWR you find and I'm sure you can
            > sell it to someone here. Like me.
            >
            > Jeff

          • Bill III
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
              Ditto on the silnylon!

              --- tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:

              > and if you still have more... i`ll buy some too!!!
              > ...tim
              >
              > Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote: Seriously - buy all
              > the olive sil or DWR you find and I'm sure you can
              > sell it to someone here. Like me.
              >
              > Jeff
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              > (Yahoo! ID required)
              >

              > mailto:hammockcamping-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              > removed]

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • RevT
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
                > I just bought 4 yards this evening, there is 3 more yards on the bolt.
                > I think it is just ripstop, but it is slippery one one side???
                >
                > Ralph

              • Nathan Denn
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 8, 2006
                  How do you know the stuff is sil nylon? I bought a bunch of fabric from wally world that is slippery, feels like nylon, water beads up on the one side and it is really really, strong. It is not rip stop though.

                  -Nate

                  Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.
                  -John Muir

                • TPrice21
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 9, 2006
                    Did you find your orange silnylon? I have found some. It thicker
                    than the 1.1 oz, but definitly water proof. I have also found white
                    and gray 1.1 oz sil coated and red 2.2 oz sil coated ripstop. Some
                    that is black on one side, white on the other and almost feels
                    rubbery? Not sure what type it is, but I think it will make a good
                    ground cloth. I have been trying to stock up on any I find. I watch
                    about 4 Wal-marts myself and have friends watch another 3.

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brona" <i_reiki_u2@...> wrote:

                    > I am looking for around 4-6 yards of orange silnylon. So far the
                    only
                    > color I have found is olive green at the Wally World $1 bin. If
                    > anyone finds any orange in the $1 bin at Wal Mart, please grab it
                    for
                    > me. I'll gladly pay shipping, etc. Thanks, Brona

                  • Rosaleen Sullivan
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
                      HI, Guys!

                      A word of caution RE: Wally World "silnylon." I have checked WalMarts from Florida to New Hampshire and as far west as Ohio as I've traveled and NEVER found silnylon. Of course, you just may have been luckier than I. I have picked up ripstop synthetics that have been either nylon or polyester and some of whichever that have a PU coating (the white rubbery stuff). All have been at least somewhat water resistant. The clerks are unlikely to know what silnylon is, even if you try to explain it to them. The silnylon-like stuff has been great for a lot of different projects, but if I need actual silnylon for a very light and (nearly) waterproof application, I've had to buy it on-line from a dealer truly "in the know." Another of our members sent me a box of pieces left over from projects. The store clerks assured him that the fabrics sold were what he was looking for when he asked for silnylon and described it. Nope! Synthetic taffetas and other somewhat water resistant "stuff," but not one silnylon scrap in the lot. Once you work with silnylon, you will likely recognize what is and what isn't.

                      Good Luck!

                      Rosaleei

                      Re: Sil nylon wanted
                      Posted by: "TPrice21" tlp21@...<mailto:tlp21@...> TPrice21

                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
                        For the first time I found some silnylon at a WalMart $bin today.
                        It is the silver grey but oddly, it is 50" wide, include the scree.
                        I have seen 1.9 oz RSN before with DWR coating and with a laminate
                        and 1.1 oz with no coating as well as DWR coating before. I think
                        all the 1.1 oz DWR RSN I have seen has also been silver grey.

                        Dave

                        <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

                        > HI, Guys!
                        >
                        > A word of caution RE: Wally World "silnylon." I have checked
                        WalMarts from Florida to New Hampshire and as far west as Ohio as
                        I've traveled and NEVER found silnylon. Of course, you just may
                        have been luckier than I. I have picked up ripstop synthetics that
                        have been either nylon or polyester and some of whichever that have
                        a PU coating (the white rubbery stuff). All have been at least
                        somewhat water resistant. The clerks are unlikely to know what
                        silnylon is, even if you try to explain it to them. The silnylon-
                        like stuff has been great for a lot of different projects, but if I
                        need actual silnylon for a very light and (nearly) waterproof
                        application, I've had to buy it on-line from a dealer truly "in the
                        know." Another of our members sent me a box of pieces left over
                        from projects. The store clerks assured him that the fabrics sold
                        were what he was looking for when he asked for silnylon and
                        described it. Nope! Synthetic taffetas and other somewhat water
                        resistant "stuff," but not one silnylon scrap in the lot. Once you
                        work with silnylon, you will likely recognize what is and what isn't.

                        > Good Luck!
                        >
                        > Rosaleei
                        >
                        > Re: Sil nylon wanted
                        > Posted by: "TPrice21" tlp21@...<mailto:tlp21@...> TPrice21
                        > Date: Sat Sep 9, 2006 7:25 pm (PDT)
                        >
                        > Did you find your orange silnylon? I have found some. It thicker
                        > than the 1.1 oz, but definitly water proof. I have also found
                        white
                        > and gray 1.1 oz sil coated and red 2.2 oz sil coated ripstop. Some
                        > that is black on one side, white on the other and almost feels
                        > rubbery? Not sure what type it is, but I think it will make a
                        good
                        > ground cloth. I have been trying to stock up on any I find. I
                        watch
                        > about 4 Wal-marts myself and have friends watch another 3.

                      • Tracy Price
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
                          I had one of my Wal-Marts get in about 4 bolts. 2-1.1oz silnylon White.
                          1-1.1oz silnylon gray. 1 silnylon orange (2.2 oz I think. The next size up
                          from 1.1oz.). I got all that was left. I visit all of my Wal-Marts from
                          time to time and am on a first name basis with the employee's that work in
                          the fabric dept. The last stuff I got was black on one side, white on the
                          other. It was rubbery feeling. Not sil coated. Thought it might make a
                          good ground cloth.

                          Tracy Price
                          tlp21@...

                        • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 13, 2006
                            Sounds like there will be some great company next week-end. I look
                            forward to seeing some old friends and putting more faces to names
                            from the list. Joe and I are heading out for Erwin tomorrow night.
                            We'll be hiking in to see you guys on Friday. Everyone travel safely.

                            Brian
                            T-BACK