Sil nylon wanted

  • Brona
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
      I am looking for around 4-6 yards of orange silnylon. So far the only
      color I have found is olive green at the Wally World $1 bin. If
      anyone finds any orange in the $1 bin at Wal Mart, please grab it for
      me. I'll gladly pay shipping, etc. Thanks, Brona
    • Keith
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
        I haven't had any luck finding the coveted Wally World Sil, so I can't
        help with the orange you want....but if you wanted to part with the
        olive you found, I'd probably be willing to take it off your hands! :)
        Especially if its a dark olive...stealthy 'n' whatnot...

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brona" <i_reiki_u2@...> wrote:

        > I am looking for around 4-6 yards of orange silnylon. So far the only
        > color I have found is olive green at the Wally World $1 bin. If
        > anyone finds any orange in the $1 bin at Wal Mart, please grab it for
        > me. I'll gladly pay shipping, etc. Thanks, Brona

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
          Seriously - buy all the olive sil or DWR you find and I'm sure you can
          sell it to someone here. Like me.

          Jeff
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
            and if you still have more... i`ll buy some too!!! ...tim

            Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote: Seriously - buy all the olive sil or DWR you find and I'm sure you can
            sell it to someone here. Like me.

            Jeff

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            (Yahoo! ID required)

            mailto:hammockcamping-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
              I just bought 4 yards this evening, there is 3 more yards on the bolt.
              I think it is just ripstop, but it is slippery one one side???

              Ralph

              On 9/7/06, Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote:

              > Seriously - buy all the olive sil or DWR you find and I'm sure you can
              > sell it to someone here. Like me.
              >
              > Jeff

            • Bill III
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
                Ditto on the silnylon!

                --- tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:

                > and if you still have more... i`ll buy some too!!!
                > ...tim
                >
                > Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote: Seriously - buy all
                > the olive sil or DWR you find and I'm sure you can
                > sell it to someone here. Like me.
                >
                > Jeff
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >

                > (Yahoo! ID required)
                >

                > mailto:hammockcamping-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                > removed]

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • RevT
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 7, 2006
                  > I just bought 4 yards this evening, there is 3 more yards on the bolt.
                  > I think it is just ripstop, but it is slippery one one side???
                  >
                  > Ralph

                • Nathan Denn
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 8, 2006
                    How do you know the stuff is sil nylon? I bought a bunch of fabric from wally world that is slippery, feels like nylon, water beads up on the one side and it is really really, strong. It is not rip stop though.

                    -Nate

                    Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.
                    -John Muir

                  • TPrice21
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 9, 2006
                      Did you find your orange silnylon? I have found some. It thicker
                      than the 1.1 oz, but definitly water proof. I have also found white
                      and gray 1.1 oz sil coated and red 2.2 oz sil coated ripstop. Some
                      that is black on one side, white on the other and almost feels
                      rubbery? Not sure what type it is, but I think it will make a good
                      ground cloth. I have been trying to stock up on any I find. I watch
                      about 4 Wal-marts myself and have friends watch another 3.

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brona" <i_reiki_u2@...> wrote:

                      > I am looking for around 4-6 yards of orange silnylon. So far the
                      only
                      > color I have found is olive green at the Wally World $1 bin. If
                      > anyone finds any orange in the $1 bin at Wal Mart, please grab it
                      for
                      > me. I'll gladly pay shipping, etc. Thanks, Brona

                    • Rosaleen Sullivan
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
                        HI, Guys!

                        A word of caution RE: Wally World "silnylon." I have checked WalMarts from Florida to New Hampshire and as far west as Ohio as I've traveled and NEVER found silnylon. Of course, you just may have been luckier than I. I have picked up ripstop synthetics that have been either nylon or polyester and some of whichever that have a PU coating (the white rubbery stuff). All have been at least somewhat water resistant. The clerks are unlikely to know what silnylon is, even if you try to explain it to them. The silnylon-like stuff has been great for a lot of different projects, but if I need actual silnylon for a very light and (nearly) waterproof application, I've had to buy it on-line from a dealer truly "in the know." Another of our members sent me a box of pieces left over from projects. The store clerks assured him that the fabrics sold were what he was looking for when he asked for silnylon and described it. Nope! Synthetic taffetas and other somewhat water resistant "stuff," but not one silnylon scrap in the lot. Once you work with silnylon, you will likely recognize what is and what isn't.

                        Good Luck!

                        Rosaleei

                        Re: Sil nylon wanted
                        Posted by: "TPrice21" tlp21@...<mailto:tlp21@...> TPrice21

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
                          For the first time I found some silnylon at a WalMart $bin today.
                          It is the silver grey but oddly, it is 50" wide, include the scree.
                          I have seen 1.9 oz RSN before with DWR coating and with a laminate
                          and 1.1 oz with no coating as well as DWR coating before. I think
                          all the 1.1 oz DWR RSN I have seen has also been silver grey.

                          Dave

                          <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

                          > HI, Guys!
                          >
                          > A word of caution RE: Wally World "silnylon." I have checked
                          WalMarts from Florida to New Hampshire and as far west as Ohio as
                          I've traveled and NEVER found silnylon. Of course, you just may
                          have been luckier than I. I have picked up ripstop synthetics that
                          have been either nylon or polyester and some of whichever that have
                          a PU coating (the white rubbery stuff). All have been at least
                          somewhat water resistant. The clerks are unlikely to know what
                          silnylon is, even if you try to explain it to them. The silnylon-
                          like stuff has been great for a lot of different projects, but if I
                          need actual silnylon for a very light and (nearly) waterproof
                          application, I've had to buy it on-line from a dealer truly "in the
                          know." Another of our members sent me a box of pieces left over
                          from projects. The store clerks assured him that the fabrics sold
                          were what he was looking for when he asked for silnylon and
                          described it. Nope! Synthetic taffetas and other somewhat water
                          resistant "stuff," but not one silnylon scrap in the lot. Once you
                          work with silnylon, you will likely recognize what is and what isn't.

                          > Good Luck!
                          >
                          > Rosaleei
                          >
                          > Re: Sil nylon wanted
                          > Posted by: "TPrice21" tlp21@...<mailto:tlp21@...> TPrice21
                          > Date: Sat Sep 9, 2006 7:25 pm (PDT)
                          >
                          > Did you find your orange silnylon? I have found some. It thicker
                          > than the 1.1 oz, but definitly water proof. I have also found
                          white
                          > and gray 1.1 oz sil coated and red 2.2 oz sil coated ripstop. Some
                          > that is black on one side, white on the other and almost feels
                          > rubbery? Not sure what type it is, but I think it will make a
                          good
                          > ground cloth. I have been trying to stock up on any I find. I
                          watch
                          > about 4 Wal-marts myself and have friends watch another 3.

                        • Tracy Price
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 10, 2006
                            I had one of my Wal-Marts get in about 4 bolts. 2-1.1oz silnylon White.
                            1-1.1oz silnylon gray. 1 silnylon orange (2.2 oz I think. The next size up
                            from 1.1oz.). I got all that was left. I visit all of my Wal-Marts from
                            time to time and am on a first name basis with the employee's that work in
                            the fabric dept. The last stuff I got was black on one side, white on the
                            other. It was rubbery feeling. Not sil coated. Thought it might make a
                            good ground cloth.

                            Tracy Price
                            tlp21@...

                          • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 13, 2006
                              Sounds like there will be some great company next week-end. I look
                              forward to seeing some old friends and putting more faces to names
                              from the list. Joe and I are heading out for Erwin tomorrow night.
                              We'll be hiking in to see you guys on Friday. Everyone travel safely.

                              Brian
                              T-BACK