Re: Latest Brain Squeeze, Strap Stake Pockets.

  • ptoddf
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3, 2006
      Good idea, guys. May I suggest further evolution, what I have on my
      MacCat tarp?

      Make the stakes captive on the tie lines. I use Y stakes figuring
      what good is a skewer in real wind. Line is just threaded through a
      hole and knotted. Can't lose the stakes, they are always on the
      tarp/fly.

      Sew the stake pouch along or under a ridge line tab, and stuff the
      stakes in there. I use tautline hitches on the free ends so I can
      shorten the lines to the tie tabs and avoid tangles.

      I use a full ridgeline tied to the end tabs, running underneath the
      canopy of course, not for support, but so I can hang stuff off this
      overhead ridgeline.

      I put those unused HH snake skins on the tarp tie out lines, and
      slide them over the whole thing, making a "fat ridge line" looking
      like a real snake.

      This whole package coils up in my pack ready to go, if I need rain
      pro. Often I put it up over my Speer hammock and don't unfurl it.
      It's just there, a fat rope overhead. I have the ridgeline under the
      tarp outside the snake skins, so I can still hang gear off it. (Real
      important, since anything loose in the hammock instantly migrates
      underneath the human body.)

      It weather comes in, just pull back the skins, yank the attached
      stakes out of the pouch, stomp them in and tension it up. Done. This
      takes as little thinking and rummaging through pack as possible. And
      it's complete, nothing to add, lose, or forget. Perfecto for me. Very
      important as this is literally survival gear, too.

      Best, Todd in CC.
    • Rat
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
        The link should take you to the exact webbing I bought. It is 1 1/4
        inch wide, Black, and rated at 600 pounds. It is the lightweight poly
        webbing that is on sale right now. I just returned from three days in
        the hammocks (Me, Roz and Gage) and it held very well on all three
        hammocks. It stretched a little initially but settled down nicely. I
        didn't have time to pre-stretch them before we left, but it wasn't a
        problem.

        I am going to change the HH to webbing tho. I tried the Prusik knot
        suspension this weekend, and while it held nicely and was easily
        adjustable, it was a lot more complicated than just using a four wrap
        knot. Plus I had to keep up with the Prusik Loops.

        I may even put webbing on my Tarps to eliminate tree huggers from my
        system all together. They are really a single use item anyway and if I
        use straps I don't need them, or the aggrivation of keeping up with
        them.

        And, the Strap Stake Pockets worked great!
        http://tinyurl.com/ozn4m
        We had a great weekend and I did manage to get in some short hikes.

        Rat

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chinell, David F \(GE Indust,
        Security\)" <david.chinell@...> wrote:

        > Rat:
        >
        > Can you specify which weight and width you got? I got some
        lightweight 1" polypro in olive drab (how stealthy!) but it seemed
        quite a bit stretchier than Ed's strapping.

        > Bear

      • Rat
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
          Actually it is sewn into the tree-huggers for the tarps. But, since I
          am thinking of getting rid of the tree-huggers they will be sewn into
          the supprt straps for the tarps. They can just as easily be on the
          hammock support tho.

          Rat

          > i like the strap pocket rat... is that made onto the end of a
          webbing that is the support on one end of your hammock? ...tim
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
            rat... i`m liking the attached stake bag. anything that helps keep stuff simple & orginized at the same time is a good thing. i think i like putting it on the hammock support even better.
            BTW... i guess it`s ok that i looked at the rest of the 14 pictures from your car camping trip. i`m fixin to do a car camping trip w/ friends this comming weekend.
            is that you eating the banana?

            Rat <hogn8r2004@...> wrote:
            Actually it is sewn into the tree-huggers for the tarps. But, since I
            am thinking of getting rid of the tree-huggers they will be sewn into
            the supprt straps for the tarps. They can just as easily be on the
            hammock support tho.

            Rat

            > i like the strap pocket rat... is that made onto the end of a
            webbing that is the support on one end of your hammock? ...tim

          • Tod Massa
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
              btw, I really like the Strap Stke Pockets....made two today, one for me, one for my son.

              Tod

              --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, tim garner wrote:

              > i like the strap pocket rat... is that made onto the end of a
              webbing that is the support on one end of your hammock? ...tim

            • David Chinell
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 5, 2006
                Rat:

                Maybe that explains it -- the difference between 1 and 1-1/4 inch
                width. And now that I've got my straps a little stretched out, they do
                seem more stable.

                Bear
              • Rat
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 5, 2006
                  No that's my Mom's boyfriend, Joe, eating the Banana. I'm the dork
                  sitting at the table with the Boonie hat on. My son snaped the
                  picture! I'm also the one holding the Armadillo, but I don't think you
                  can see my face in that one. It was the first time Gage had seen an
                  Armadillo up close. And the first time in yeeeeeeears I had caught
                  one. It's good to know I can still out think an Armadillo! :) Catching
                  Armadillos is becoming a lost art:)

                  Feel free to look at any of the pictures. I just started using Yahoo
                  Photos, but so far I like it.

                  Rat