Re: HH on PCT report

  • jack_tier
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 2, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Lewis" <brianle@...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      > just simple math: my Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker is listed on
      the
      > Hennessy site as 1 pound 15 ounces. Your JRB Nest is listed at 20
      > ounces, plus another ounce for the stuff sack and I think another
      > ounce for the suspension system (? based on backpackgeartest
      review).
      > Those items then alone sum to 53 ounces --- 3.3 pounds ... that's
      > without including stakes to hold the sides out, or longer straps
      > (necessary in the NW).
      >
      > I could have saved 7 oz (or maybe 10 depending on which HH specs
      you
      > read ...) by going with the hyperlite instead of ultralight; the
      > hyperlight is very new, however, and I generally prefer to let
      other
      > pioneers get the arrows in their backs <g>. If I were willing to
      pay
      > more for a hammock that I would guess would wear out faster, I
      could
      > indeed get that down to 2 pounds 14 ounces --- more like right at
      the
      > 3 pound edge of your suggested range with necessary stakes and
      longer
      > straps (funnels optional at less than an ounce).
      >
      > It looks to me that at this point I could save maybe 9 ounces over
      > what I'm doing now (without buying a new hammock) by replacing my
      > supershelter + foam pad + space blanket with a JRB nest, at the
      cost
      > of $240 more, but with hopefully a more comfortable and
      consistently
      > warm sleep --- assuming any underquilt will be sufficiently draft-
      free
      > (i.e., that gaps between underquilt and hammock body don't lose me
      the
      > warm dead air I need). And that I could keep the thing dry
      enough in
      > the pacific northwest to keep me reliably warm. And that I never
      had
      > to pitch the hammock on the ground.
      >
      > Come late fall or winter I'll try out some options with my
      > supershelter first, and if I just can't make that reasonably work
      in
      > lower temps, I might indeed become another JRB customer! Or maybe
      > KAQ customer, accepting more weight for a synthetic that hopefully
      > would keep me warm even if wet (?).
      >
      > I was interested in the setup that you mentioned above, and wonder
      if
      > you could expand a couple of the abbreviations (please):
      >
      > "HH ELR without the fly, 8x8, w STL and 2 ti UL stakes , A JRB Nest
      > under quilt w/Suspension system" that you said comes out to
      exactly 48
      > ounces.
      >
      > HH ELR is what? The Hennessy Explorer Ultralight A-Sym is listed
      at 2
      > pounds 7 ounces (39 ounces), so that can't be it, unless you're
      > somehow saving a lot of weight on an alternate (but bigger?) fly.
      I'm
      > not sure what an STL is; I presume 8x8 refers to some alternative
      fly
      > you're using. ti UL stakes are likely light weight (ti ==
      titanium)
      > stakes.
      >
      > Again, I'm truly not meaning to be critical or negative or
      anything,
      > just trying to understand --- if a JRB nest with stuff sack and
      > suspension system is 22 ounces, then 48 - 22 = 26 ounces for your
      > hammock with alternate fly and stakes. That might work if ELR is
      > strange abbreviation for Hyperlite ...
      >

      > Brian Lewis

      Brian,

      Welcome back from your hike...condolances or the hard ground...least
      you had great company.

      HH ELR= HH Extreme Light Racer...the 20 oz racer that several of us
      started using for all around backpacking....mine is in great shape
      after 60 nights and many afternoons of set up ...test some gear ...
      then tear down and repack etc...Medicine Man, frequent poster on
      Whiteblaze.net, has had similiar experiance....this hammock minus
      the fly of 7 oz or and including standard tree savers is 15
      oz ....This hammock and its growing general purpose use by the UL
      community is what led to the Hyper light....at $169 it is a lot less
      money than the HL at $219...But you do get the little gear loft
      pocket and a claim of more reliability for the HL (although they
      both appear to have 1.1 oz nlyon bottoms). Believe it is an oz
      lighter than the HL.

      STL = Self Tensioning Lines...1 oz per pair of 9.5 foot lines.

      8x8 = short hand for a JRB square tarp, no one else routinely makes
      and sells this size, with a diagonal center seam that fits most
      regular length hammocks.. it weighs 9.4 oz (which is about 2 oz more
      than a stock HH BULA fly).

      Hope this helps.... big trees, requiring longer staps, obviously
      will add proportionately ...save your short ones ...when you come
      east they will be useful and save a little... :-)

      Pan
    • Brian Lewis
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 3, 2006
        Thanks, Pan. The ELR ("Light Racer A-Sym" on the HH site) isn't
        something I even considered; the text on the HH site puts "Recommended
        for racing only" in bold text, says that durability is sacrificed for
        weight, and that it has a limited one-year guarantee ... with the
        majority of the text about it being those sorts of caveats ...

        So I find it *very* interesting that you've already got 60 nights and
        many test afternoons on yours and report that it's in great shape!

        Brian Lewis