Re: Latest Brain Squeeze, Strap Stake Pockets.

  • jmgiv47
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@...> wrote:

      > I doubled over a length of webbing and sewed it back to it's self
      > creating a pocket. I insert the stakes in the pocket and the whole
      > thing gets lashed to the tarp or hammock. The webbing is thick
      > enough to not allow the stakes to puncture my tarp,...

      Great idea! I currently use a piece of garden hose about a 1/2"
      longer than the Hennessy stakes. I insert all the stakes inside the
      hose and the tight fit, along with the curved end of the stakes, keeps
      them all in place. The points of the stake are short of the end of
      the hose...complete protection from punctures.

      But I think your pocket idea is a lighter weight idea...which makes it
      an idea I really like. :)

      john
    • ptoddf
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 3, 2006
        Good idea, guys. May I suggest further evolution, what I have on my
        MacCat tarp?

        Make the stakes captive on the tie lines. I use Y stakes figuring
        what good is a skewer in real wind. Line is just threaded through a
        hole and knotted. Can't lose the stakes, they are always on the
        tarp/fly.

        Sew the stake pouch along or under a ridge line tab, and stuff the
        stakes in there. I use tautline hitches on the free ends so I can
        shorten the lines to the tie tabs and avoid tangles.

        I use a full ridgeline tied to the end tabs, running underneath the
        canopy of course, not for support, but so I can hang stuff off this
        overhead ridgeline.

        I put those unused HH snake skins on the tarp tie out lines, and
        slide them over the whole thing, making a "fat ridge line" looking
        like a real snake.

        This whole package coils up in my pack ready to go, if I need rain
        pro. Often I put it up over my Speer hammock and don't unfurl it.
        It's just there, a fat rope overhead. I have the ridgeline under the
        tarp outside the snake skins, so I can still hang gear off it. (Real
        important, since anything loose in the hammock instantly migrates
        underneath the human body.)

        It weather comes in, just pull back the skins, yank the attached
        stakes out of the pouch, stomp them in and tension it up. Done. This
        takes as little thinking and rummaging through pack as possible. And
        it's complete, nothing to add, lose, or forget. Perfecto for me. Very
        important as this is literally survival gear, too.

        Best, Todd in CC.
      • Rat
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
          The link should take you to the exact webbing I bought. It is 1 1/4
          inch wide, Black, and rated at 600 pounds. It is the lightweight poly
          webbing that is on sale right now. I just returned from three days in
          the hammocks (Me, Roz and Gage) and it held very well on all three
          hammocks. It stretched a little initially but settled down nicely. I
          didn't have time to pre-stretch them before we left, but it wasn't a
          problem.

          I am going to change the HH to webbing tho. I tried the Prusik knot
          suspension this weekend, and while it held nicely and was easily
          adjustable, it was a lot more complicated than just using a four wrap
          knot. Plus I had to keep up with the Prusik Loops.

          I may even put webbing on my Tarps to eliminate tree huggers from my
          system all together. They are really a single use item anyway and if I
          use straps I don't need them, or the aggrivation of keeping up with
          them.

          And, the Strap Stake Pockets worked great!
          http://tinyurl.com/ozn4m
          We had a great weekend and I did manage to get in some short hikes.

          Rat

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chinell, David F \(GE Indust,
          Security\)" <david.chinell@...> wrote:

          > Rat:
          >
          > Can you specify which weight and width you got? I got some
          lightweight 1" polypro in olive drab (how stealthy!) but it seemed
          quite a bit stretchier than Ed's strapping.

          > Bear

        • Rat
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
            Actually it is sewn into the tree-huggers for the tarps. But, since I
            am thinking of getting rid of the tree-huggers they will be sewn into
            the supprt straps for the tarps. They can just as easily be on the
            hammock support tho.

            Rat

            > i like the strap pocket rat... is that made onto the end of a
            webbing that is the support on one end of your hammock? ...tim
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
              rat... i`m liking the attached stake bag. anything that helps keep stuff simple & orginized at the same time is a good thing. i think i like putting it on the hammock support even better.
              BTW... i guess it`s ok that i looked at the rest of the 14 pictures from your car camping trip. i`m fixin to do a car camping trip w/ friends this comming weekend.
              is that you eating the banana?

              Rat <hogn8r2004@...> wrote:
              Actually it is sewn into the tree-huggers for the tarps. But, since I
              am thinking of getting rid of the tree-huggers they will be sewn into
              the supprt straps for the tarps. They can just as easily be on the
              hammock support tho.

              Rat

              > i like the strap pocket rat... is that made onto the end of a
              webbing that is the support on one end of your hammock? ...tim

            • Tod Massa
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
                btw, I really like the Strap Stke Pockets....made two today, one for me, one for my son.

                Tod

                --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, tim garner wrote:

                > i like the strap pocket rat... is that made onto the end of a
                webbing that is the support on one end of your hammock? ...tim

              • David Chinell
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 5, 2006
                  Rat:

                  Maybe that explains it -- the difference between 1 and 1-1/4 inch
                  width. And now that I've got my straps a little stretched out, they do
                  seem more stable.

                  Bear
                • Rat
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 5, 2006
                    No that's my Mom's boyfriend, Joe, eating the Banana. I'm the dork
                    sitting at the table with the Boonie hat on. My son snaped the
                    picture! I'm also the one holding the Armadillo, but I don't think you
                    can see my face in that one. It was the first time Gage had seen an
                    Armadillo up close. And the first time in yeeeeeeears I had caught
                    one. It's good to know I can still out think an Armadillo! :) Catching
                    Armadillos is becoming a lost art:)

                    Feel free to look at any of the pictures. I just started using Yahoo
                    Photos, but so far I like it.

                    Rat