New to hammocking

  • Neal
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
      Tried my first real hike with the hammock. I used a 6X8 Silnylon tarp
      from campmor strung diagonally from corner to corner over triptease
      and 2 corner tieouts. Used my sleeping bag (cats meow) without any
      underpad. The nights got down to 50° including one on the Lake
      Superior north shore. 1 night of rain. It was great and I stayed dry.
      Ialso didn't have any of the "cold-spot" problems that I haveread so
      often here. Now I ask myself, why do I have a tent?
    • fugglesrastus
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2006
        Hi
        I have completly done away with tent camping and use my hammock all
        the time. I have a HH explorer Delux Asym, with the larger Hex Fly.
        I allways have 2 trecking poles with me, 4 extra guy ropes and 4
        stakes, so I can pitch my hammock as a tent on the ground, using the
        trecking poles. I used a $2 shop plastic poncho for a ground sheet,
        last time I had to do this, when there was no trees available.
        Im into lightweigh hiking, and am in New Zealand. Lots of rain any
        time of the year over here, I find I stay dryer in my hammock in
        heavy rain than sleeping in my tents, as my tents condensate to much
        and get damp floors quickly. I usually take the larger Hex fly with
        me, except I will take the smaller fly on 1 or 2 night trips when no
        rain is forcast.
        Any How hope you enjoy your Hammock Setup.
        Cheers Heather