Re: HH on PCT report

  • Brian Lewis
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 1, 2006
      Thanks for the feedback, Joe. I sure wish I had read more here and
      elsewhere before going with the Supershelter; if you or others have
      tips (I hope you'll be experimenting more too), I'll eagerly read and
      try 'em. I think that before I send more money to HH I'll see if I
      can't find some local source of open-celled-foam. Two pieces of such
      foam have a lot of friction so I would expect a piece put on top of
      the foam that came with the supershelter would stay put without more
      cordage, or maybe just a little velcro or something.

      I'm not sure that "hip and torso" pads are exactly what I need. My
      feet got cold; I'd definitely try to add some foam at the foot end.
      Yes to "Hips" (I'd say "butt"), as that's where a lot of pressure is
      --- asym or not, that part sags down some. At $30 and 5.5 ounces
      more, I might indeed just end up ordering a second underpad. A little
      frustrating to have to guess at all of this.

      Spare clothing doesn't work for me; as a trying-to-be-light hiker, I
      have darned few pieces of "spare" clothing, especially on a cold
      night. When it's cold I'll be wearing (in the hammock) both my
      lighter and heavier pairs of outer socks, warm hat,
      sweater/fleece/whatever (I use a Montbell UL Thermawrap) --- this
      allows me to camp with a darned light sleeping bag (20 ounces). About
      all I have for "spare clothes" at that point are a change of underwear
      and spare liner socks plus thin mittens. Which I use in my sleeping
      bag stuff sack under my neck (all the pillow I need).

      I can't help but think that maybe I'm just doing something
      fundamentally wrong with the supershelter; I'm not a person that needs
      a really warm bed at night. But there doesn't seem to be much room to
      misinterpret how to assemble and use the supershelter system, and it
      all looks right. Dunno.

      If I figure anything out this fall/winter when I do some at-home
      testing, I'll certainly post my results.

      Brian Lewis

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <jingram01@...> wrote:

      > Brian, I too had become dissatisfied with sleeping on a CCF pad
      > inside my hammock. After a lot of reading and contemplation about the
      > various insulation systems which would fit my HH, I ordered the HH
      > undercover/pad, so I read with interest your thread on the HH system
      > tonight. I am not sure it will keep me warm to the temperatures I may
      > want to camp in, but I am likewise unsure about the other systems. I
      > have read both good and bad reviews of the HH system's insulating
      > ability. I have also read some good and bad reviews for both the JRB
      > and the KAQ (the other systems I was contemplating) and don't in any
      > way mean to knock them. I finally decided that the only way to know
      > if it would work for me was to give it a try.
      >
      > The factors that influenced me to select the HH was the ability to
      > leave the system attached when packing, which eliminates the need to
      > adjust it every night, the weight (13 ounces), and also the cost of
      > the system (I'm cheap).
      >
      > Before ordering the system I called and talked with Tom Hennessy
      > about a few questions I had. One of my questions was if it was
      > possible to add a second pad without compressing it too much if one
      > pad was not sufficient to get down to the temperatures I wanted to
      > reach. Tom expressed his belief that using a single pad, space
      > blanket and spare clothing would work for most people, but said that
      > using two pads would work if needed. He also mentioned that he does
      > still have hip and torso pads available, which would be lighter, less
      > bulky, and less expensive than a second pad. He is considering adding
      > them to his web site as optional items. But, even adding another
      > complete pad, the total weight of the system would only be 18.5
      > ounces with a total cost under $155, so I am willing to experiment
      > with it.
      >
      > If you develop any methods that you find improve your comfort range,
      > please post them. I would be interested in hearing about them.

    • jack_tier
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 2, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Lewis" <brianle@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > just simple math: my Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker is listed on
        the
        > Hennessy site as 1 pound 15 ounces. Your JRB Nest is listed at 20
        > ounces, plus another ounce for the stuff sack and I think another
        > ounce for the suspension system (? based on backpackgeartest
        review).
        > Those items then alone sum to 53 ounces --- 3.3 pounds ... that's
        > without including stakes to hold the sides out, or longer straps
        > (necessary in the NW).
        >
        > I could have saved 7 oz (or maybe 10 depending on which HH specs
        you
        > read ...) by going with the hyperlite instead of ultralight; the
        > hyperlight is very new, however, and I generally prefer to let
        other
        > pioneers get the arrows in their backs <g>. If I were willing to
        pay
        > more for a hammock that I would guess would wear out faster, I
        could
        > indeed get that down to 2 pounds 14 ounces --- more like right at
        the
        > 3 pound edge of your suggested range with necessary stakes and
        longer
        > straps (funnels optional at less than an ounce).
        >
        > It looks to me that at this point I could save maybe 9 ounces over
        > what I'm doing now (without buying a new hammock) by replacing my
        > supershelter + foam pad + space blanket with a JRB nest, at the
        cost
        > of $240 more, but with hopefully a more comfortable and
        consistently
        > warm sleep --- assuming any underquilt will be sufficiently draft-
        free
        > (i.e., that gaps between underquilt and hammock body don't lose me
        the
        > warm dead air I need). And that I could keep the thing dry
        enough in
        > the pacific northwest to keep me reliably warm. And that I never
        had
        > to pitch the hammock on the ground.
        >
        > Come late fall or winter I'll try out some options with my
        > supershelter first, and if I just can't make that reasonably work
        in
        > lower temps, I might indeed become another JRB customer! Or maybe
        > KAQ customer, accepting more weight for a synthetic that hopefully
        > would keep me warm even if wet (?).
        >
        > I was interested in the setup that you mentioned above, and wonder
        if
        > you could expand a couple of the abbreviations (please):
        >
        > "HH ELR without the fly, 8x8, w STL and 2 ti UL stakes , A JRB Nest
        > under quilt w/Suspension system" that you said comes out to
        exactly 48
        > ounces.
        >
        > HH ELR is what? The Hennessy Explorer Ultralight A-Sym is listed
        at 2
        > pounds 7 ounces (39 ounces), so that can't be it, unless you're
        > somehow saving a lot of weight on an alternate (but bigger?) fly.
        I'm
        > not sure what an STL is; I presume 8x8 refers to some alternative
        fly
        > you're using. ti UL stakes are likely light weight (ti ==
        titanium)
        > stakes.
        >
        > Again, I'm truly not meaning to be critical or negative or
        anything,
        > just trying to understand --- if a JRB nest with stuff sack and
        > suspension system is 22 ounces, then 48 - 22 = 26 ounces for your
        > hammock with alternate fly and stakes. That might work if ELR is
        > strange abbreviation for Hyperlite ...
        >

        > Brian Lewis

        Brian,

        Welcome back from your hike...condolances or the hard ground...least
        you had great company.

        HH ELR= HH Extreme Light Racer...the 20 oz racer that several of us
        started using for all around backpacking....mine is in great shape
        after 60 nights and many afternoons of set up ...test some gear ...
        then tear down and repack etc...Medicine Man, frequent poster on
        Whiteblaze.net, has had similiar experiance....this hammock minus
        the fly of 7 oz or and including standard tree savers is 15
        oz ....This hammock and its growing general purpose use by the UL
        community is what led to the Hyper light....at $169 it is a lot less
        money than the HL at $219...But you do get the little gear loft
        pocket and a claim of more reliability for the HL (although they
        both appear to have 1.1 oz nlyon bottoms). Believe it is an oz
        lighter than the HL.

        STL = Self Tensioning Lines...1 oz per pair of 9.5 foot lines.

        8x8 = short hand for a JRB square tarp, no one else routinely makes
        and sells this size, with a diagonal center seam that fits most
        regular length hammocks.. it weighs 9.4 oz (which is about 2 oz more
        than a stock HH BULA fly).

        Hope this helps.... big trees, requiring longer staps, obviously
        will add proportionately ...save your short ones ...when you come
        east they will be useful and save a little... :-)

        Pan
      • Brian Lewis
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 3, 2006
          Thanks, Pan. The ELR ("Light Racer A-Sym" on the HH site) isn't
          something I even considered; the text on the HH site puts "Recommended
          for racing only" in bold text, says that durability is sacrificed for
          weight, and that it has a limited one-year guarantee ... with the
          majority of the text about it being those sorts of caveats ...

          So I find it *very* interesting that you've already got 60 nights and
          many test afternoons on yours and report that it's in great shape!

          Brian Lewis