RE: [Hammock Camping] Latest Brain Squeeze, Strap Stake Pockets.

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2006
      Rat:

      Can you specify which weight and width you got? I got some lightweight 1" polypro in olive drab (how stealthy!) but it seemed quite a bit stretchier than Ed's strapping.

      Bear

    • jmgiv47
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@...> wrote:

        > I doubled over a length of webbing and sewed it back to it's self
        > creating a pocket. I insert the stakes in the pocket and the whole
        > thing gets lashed to the tarp or hammock. The webbing is thick
        > enough to not allow the stakes to puncture my tarp,...

        Great idea! I currently use a piece of garden hose about a 1/2"
        longer than the Hennessy stakes. I insert all the stakes inside the
        hose and the tight fit, along with the curved end of the stakes, keeps
        them all in place. The points of the stake are short of the end of
        the hose...complete protection from punctures.

        But I think your pocket idea is a lighter weight idea...which makes it
        an idea I really like. :)

        john
      • ptoddf
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2006
          Good idea, guys. May I suggest further evolution, what I have on my
          MacCat tarp?

          Make the stakes captive on the tie lines. I use Y stakes figuring
          what good is a skewer in real wind. Line is just threaded through a
          hole and knotted. Can't lose the stakes, they are always on the
          tarp/fly.

          Sew the stake pouch along or under a ridge line tab, and stuff the
          stakes in there. I use tautline hitches on the free ends so I can
          shorten the lines to the tie tabs and avoid tangles.

          I use a full ridgeline tied to the end tabs, running underneath the
          canopy of course, not for support, but so I can hang stuff off this
          overhead ridgeline.

          I put those unused HH snake skins on the tarp tie out lines, and
          slide them over the whole thing, making a "fat ridge line" looking
          like a real snake.

          This whole package coils up in my pack ready to go, if I need rain
          pro. Often I put it up over my Speer hammock and don't unfurl it.
          It's just there, a fat rope overhead. I have the ridgeline under the
          tarp outside the snake skins, so I can still hang gear off it. (Real
          important, since anything loose in the hammock instantly migrates
          underneath the human body.)

          It weather comes in, just pull back the skins, yank the attached
          stakes out of the pouch, stomp them in and tension it up. Done. This
          takes as little thinking and rummaging through pack as possible. And
          it's complete, nothing to add, lose, or forget. Perfecto for me. Very
          important as this is literally survival gear, too.

          Best, Todd in CC.
        • Rat
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
            The link should take you to the exact webbing I bought. It is 1 1/4
            inch wide, Black, and rated at 600 pounds. It is the lightweight poly
            webbing that is on sale right now. I just returned from three days in
            the hammocks (Me, Roz and Gage) and it held very well on all three
            hammocks. It stretched a little initially but settled down nicely. I
            didn't have time to pre-stretch them before we left, but it wasn't a
            problem.

            I am going to change the HH to webbing tho. I tried the Prusik knot
            suspension this weekend, and while it held nicely and was easily
            adjustable, it was a lot more complicated than just using a four wrap
            knot. Plus I had to keep up with the Prusik Loops.

            I may even put webbing on my Tarps to eliminate tree huggers from my
            system all together. They are really a single use item anyway and if I
            use straps I don't need them, or the aggrivation of keeping up with
            them.

            And, the Strap Stake Pockets worked great!
            http://tinyurl.com/ozn4m
            We had a great weekend and I did manage to get in some short hikes.

            Rat

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chinell, David F \(GE Indust,
            Security\)" <david.chinell@...> wrote:

            > Rat:
            >
            > Can you specify which weight and width you got? I got some
            lightweight 1" polypro in olive drab (how stealthy!) but it seemed
            quite a bit stretchier than Ed's strapping.

            > Bear

          • Rat
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
              Actually it is sewn into the tree-huggers for the tarps. But, since I
              am thinking of getting rid of the tree-huggers they will be sewn into
              the supprt straps for the tarps. They can just as easily be on the
              hammock support tho.

              Rat

              > i like the strap pocket rat... is that made onto the end of a
              webbing that is the support on one end of your hammock? ...tim
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
                rat... i`m liking the attached stake bag. anything that helps keep stuff simple & orginized at the same time is a good thing. i think i like putting it on the hammock support even better.
                BTW... i guess it`s ok that i looked at the rest of the 14 pictures from your car camping trip. i`m fixin to do a car camping trip w/ friends this comming weekend.
                is that you eating the banana?

                Rat <hogn8r2004@...> wrote:
                Actually it is sewn into the tree-huggers for the tarps. But, since I
                am thinking of getting rid of the tree-huggers they will be sewn into
                the supprt straps for the tarps. They can just as easily be on the
                hammock support tho.

                Rat

                > i like the strap pocket rat... is that made onto the end of a
                webbing that is the support on one end of your hammock? ...tim

              • Tod Massa
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
                  btw, I really like the Strap Stke Pockets....made two today, one for me, one for my son.

                  Tod

                  --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, tim garner wrote:

                  > i like the strap pocket rat... is that made onto the end of a
                  webbing that is the support on one end of your hammock? ...tim

                • David Chinell
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 5, 2006
                    Rat:

                    Maybe that explains it -- the difference between 1 and 1-1/4 inch
                    width. And now that I've got my straps a little stretched out, they do
                    seem more stable.

                    Bear
                  • Rat
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 5, 2006
                      No that's my Mom's boyfriend, Joe, eating the Banana. I'm the dork
                      sitting at the table with the Boonie hat on. My son snaped the
                      picture! I'm also the one holding the Armadillo, but I don't think you
                      can see my face in that one. It was the first time Gage had seen an
                      Armadillo up close. And the first time in yeeeeeeears I had caught
                      one. It's good to know I can still out think an Armadillo! :) Catching
                      Armadillos is becoming a lost art:)

                      Feel free to look at any of the pictures. I just started using Yahoo
                      Photos, but so far I like it.

                      Rat