Re: [Hammock Camping] Latest Brain Squeeze, Strap Stake Pockets.

  • Johan van Dijk
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1 12:50 PM
      Rat,

      thanks a lot mate! Great idea!!. Have been annoyed by the idea of losing,
      puncturing etc. too. This looks like a good solution if I stick to metal
      stakes.

      Like Rick, I prefer the idea of wooden stakes, made on trail but sometimes I
      "need" metal stakes for my cooker setup (wood, alcy, esbit) as well (those
      are two separate words aren't they?) as tarp/hammock stakes. Your idea has
      been added to my to do list... ouch thanx a lot for that too ;-)

      Grtz Johan

      mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
      email: gonewalkabout2003@...

      http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
      http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1 2:48 PM
        Rat:

        Can you specify which weight and width you got? I got some lightweight 1" polypro in olive drab (how stealthy!) but it seemed quite a bit stretchier than Ed's strapping.

        Bear

      • jmgiv47
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2 8:48 AM
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@...> wrote:

          > I doubled over a length of webbing and sewed it back to it's self
          > creating a pocket. I insert the stakes in the pocket and the whole
          > thing gets lashed to the tarp or hammock. The webbing is thick
          > enough to not allow the stakes to puncture my tarp,...

          Great idea! I currently use a piece of garden hose about a 1/2"
          longer than the Hennessy stakes. I insert all the stakes inside the
          hose and the tight fit, along with the curved end of the stakes, keeps
          them all in place. The points of the stake are short of the end of
          the hose...complete protection from punctures.

          But I think your pocket idea is a lighter weight idea...which makes it
          an idea I really like. :)

          john
        • ptoddf
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3 11:42 AM
            Good idea, guys. May I suggest further evolution, what I have on my
            MacCat tarp?

            Make the stakes captive on the tie lines. I use Y stakes figuring
            what good is a skewer in real wind. Line is just threaded through a
            hole and knotted. Can't lose the stakes, they are always on the
            tarp/fly.

            Sew the stake pouch along or under a ridge line tab, and stuff the
            stakes in there. I use tautline hitches on the free ends so I can
            shorten the lines to the tie tabs and avoid tangles.

            I use a full ridgeline tied to the end tabs, running underneath the
            canopy of course, not for support, but so I can hang stuff off this
            overhead ridgeline.

            I put those unused HH snake skins on the tarp tie out lines, and
            slide them over the whole thing, making a "fat ridge line" looking
            like a real snake.

            This whole package coils up in my pack ready to go, if I need rain
            pro. Often I put it up over my Speer hammock and don't unfurl it.
            It's just there, a fat rope overhead. I have the ridgeline under the
            tarp outside the snake skins, so I can still hang gear off it. (Real
            important, since anything loose in the hammock instantly migrates
            underneath the human body.)

            It weather comes in, just pull back the skins, yank the attached
            stakes out of the pouch, stomp them in and tension it up. Done. This
            takes as little thinking and rummaging through pack as possible. And
            it's complete, nothing to add, lose, or forget. Perfecto for me. Very
            important as this is literally survival gear, too.

            Best, Todd in CC.
          • Rat
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 4 10:15 AM
              The link should take you to the exact webbing I bought. It is 1 1/4
              inch wide, Black, and rated at 600 pounds. It is the lightweight poly
              webbing that is on sale right now. I just returned from three days in
              the hammocks (Me, Roz and Gage) and it held very well on all three
              hammocks. It stretched a little initially but settled down nicely. I
              didn't have time to pre-stretch them before we left, but it wasn't a
              problem.

              I am going to change the HH to webbing tho. I tried the Prusik knot
              suspension this weekend, and while it held nicely and was easily
              adjustable, it was a lot more complicated than just using a four wrap
              knot. Plus I had to keep up with the Prusik Loops.

              I may even put webbing on my Tarps to eliminate tree huggers from my
              system all together. They are really a single use item anyway and if I
              use straps I don't need them, or the aggrivation of keeping up with
              them.

              And, the Strap Stake Pockets worked great!
              http://tinyurl.com/ozn4m
              We had a great weekend and I did manage to get in some short hikes.

              Rat

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chinell, David F \(GE Indust,
              Security\)" <david.chinell@...> wrote:

              > Rat:
              >
              > Can you specify which weight and width you got? I got some
              lightweight 1" polypro in olive drab (how stealthy!) but it seemed
              quite a bit stretchier than Ed's strapping.

              > Bear

            • Rat
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 4 10:19 AM
                Actually it is sewn into the tree-huggers for the tarps. But, since I
                am thinking of getting rid of the tree-huggers they will be sewn into
                the supprt straps for the tarps. They can just as easily be on the
                hammock support tho.

                Rat

                > i like the strap pocket rat... is that made onto the end of a
                webbing that is the support on one end of your hammock? ...tim
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 4 6:07 PM
                  rat... i`m liking the attached stake bag. anything that helps keep stuff simple & orginized at the same time is a good thing. i think i like putting it on the hammock support even better.
                  BTW... i guess it`s ok that i looked at the rest of the 14 pictures from your car camping trip. i`m fixin to do a car camping trip w/ friends this comming weekend.
                  is that you eating the banana?

                  Rat <hogn8r2004@...> wrote:
                  Actually it is sewn into the tree-huggers for the tarps. But, since I
                  am thinking of getting rid of the tree-huggers they will be sewn into
                  the supprt straps for the tarps. They can just as easily be on the
                  hammock support tho.

                  Rat

                  > i like the strap pocket rat... is that made onto the end of a
                  webbing that is the support on one end of your hammock? ...tim

                • Tod Massa
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 4 6:22 PM
                    btw, I really like the Strap Stke Pockets....made two today, one for me, one for my son.

                    Tod

                    --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, tim garner wrote:

                    > i like the strap pocket rat... is that made onto the end of a
                    webbing that is the support on one end of your hammock? ...tim

                  • David Chinell
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 5 12:01 PM
                      Rat:

                      Maybe that explains it -- the difference between 1 and 1-1/4 inch
                      width. And now that I've got my straps a little stretched out, they do
                      seem more stable.

                      Bear
                    • Rat
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 5 6:23 PM
                        No that's my Mom's boyfriend, Joe, eating the Banana. I'm the dork
                        sitting at the table with the Boonie hat on. My son snaped the
                        picture! I'm also the one holding the Armadillo, but I don't think you
                        can see my face in that one. It was the first time Gage had seen an
                        Armadillo up close. And the first time in yeeeeeeears I had caught
                        one. It's good to know I can still out think an Armadillo! :) Catching
                        Armadillos is becoming a lost art:)

                        Feel free to look at any of the pictures. I just started using Yahoo
                        Photos, but so far I like it.

                        Rat