Re: [Hammock Camping] Latest Brain Squeeze, Strap Stake Pockets.

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hi Rat,

      I really like your idea. It also makes it harder to forget that pesky
      little bag of stakes when packing up. I lost my metal stakes back 18
      months ago when I was packing up in leaves on an AT hike.

      BTW, I've been using 1/4 in diameter wood stakes since then--made from a
      little sapling found along the way. I pack them with the other loose
      items in my blue "sports bucket." I used to fret that I would lose a
      stake, and once spent 15 minutes looking for one that had been slung
      through the woods. Now, when I happen to misplace one, I just make a
      new one at the next hangout. It takes all of maybe 30 seconds to
      manufacture a new one.

      Rick

      Rat wrote:
      > I just received my roll of Polypro webbing and was in the process of
      > making new straps for the hammocks and traps when this idea hit me.
      > Now that I use snakeskins on my hammocks I am always faced with the
      > problem of storing my stakes. Rolling them up in the hammock scares
      > me a little and having a separate place for them means I am always
      > looking for them when I need them. So here is what I came up with.
      > I doubled over a length of webbing and sewed it back to it's self
      > creating a pocket. I insert the stakes in the pocket and the whole
      > thing gets lashed to the tarp or hammock. The webbing is thick
      > enough to not allow the stakes to puncture my tarp, and they are
      > always with the gear that needs them. Here are the pixels.
      > http://tinyurl.com/pnp2x
      >
      > BTW, I got a screaming deal on polypro webbing from here:
      > http://tinyurl.com/krc4c
      > It is rated a little less than Ed's, but I used it today and it held
      > fine. I will be using it for three days this weekend, so I should
      > know for sure after that.
      >
      > I also bought some of these to try the double ring suspension, I
      > bought six. I didn't realise they were so BIG! They must weigh half
      > a pound each! They do work however, but they will not be a part of
      > my hammock system. BTW, I think they work because they are powder
      > coated not polished. So for those of you who are trying to do this
      > maybe you can find some, or have some, powder coated.
      > http://tinyurl.com/zgpzu
      >
      > Rat
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Johan van Dijk
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 1, 2006
        Rat,

        thanks a lot mate! Great idea!!. Have been annoyed by the idea of losing,
        puncturing etc. too. This looks like a good solution if I stick to metal
        stakes.

        Like Rick, I prefer the idea of wooden stakes, made on trail but sometimes I
        "need" metal stakes for my cooker setup (wood, alcy, esbit) as well (those
        are two separate words aren't they?) as tarp/hammock stakes. Your idea has
        been added to my to do list... ouch thanx a lot for that too ;-)

        Grtz Johan

        mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
        email: gonewalkabout2003@...

        http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
        http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2006
          Rat:

          Can you specify which weight and width you got? I got some lightweight 1" polypro in olive drab (how stealthy!) but it seemed quite a bit stretchier than Ed's strapping.

          Bear

        • jmgiv47
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@...> wrote:

            > I doubled over a length of webbing and sewed it back to it's self
            > creating a pocket. I insert the stakes in the pocket and the whole
            > thing gets lashed to the tarp or hammock. The webbing is thick
            > enough to not allow the stakes to puncture my tarp,...

            Great idea! I currently use a piece of garden hose about a 1/2"
            longer than the Hennessy stakes. I insert all the stakes inside the
            hose and the tight fit, along with the curved end of the stakes, keeps
            them all in place. The points of the stake are short of the end of
            the hose...complete protection from punctures.

            But I think your pocket idea is a lighter weight idea...which makes it
            an idea I really like. :)

            john
          • ptoddf
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 3, 2006
              Good idea, guys. May I suggest further evolution, what I have on my
              MacCat tarp?

              Make the stakes captive on the tie lines. I use Y stakes figuring
              what good is a skewer in real wind. Line is just threaded through a
              hole and knotted. Can't lose the stakes, they are always on the
              tarp/fly.

              Sew the stake pouch along or under a ridge line tab, and stuff the
              stakes in there. I use tautline hitches on the free ends so I can
              shorten the lines to the tie tabs and avoid tangles.

              I use a full ridgeline tied to the end tabs, running underneath the
              canopy of course, not for support, but so I can hang stuff off this
              overhead ridgeline.

              I put those unused HH snake skins on the tarp tie out lines, and
              slide them over the whole thing, making a "fat ridge line" looking
              like a real snake.

              This whole package coils up in my pack ready to go, if I need rain
              pro. Often I put it up over my Speer hammock and don't unfurl it.
              It's just there, a fat rope overhead. I have the ridgeline under the
              tarp outside the snake skins, so I can still hang gear off it. (Real
              important, since anything loose in the hammock instantly migrates
              underneath the human body.)

              It weather comes in, just pull back the skins, yank the attached
              stakes out of the pouch, stomp them in and tension it up. Done. This
              takes as little thinking and rummaging through pack as possible. And
              it's complete, nothing to add, lose, or forget. Perfecto for me. Very
              important as this is literally survival gear, too.

              Best, Todd in CC.
            • Rat
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
                The link should take you to the exact webbing I bought. It is 1 1/4
                inch wide, Black, and rated at 600 pounds. It is the lightweight poly
                webbing that is on sale right now. I just returned from three days in
                the hammocks (Me, Roz and Gage) and it held very well on all three
                hammocks. It stretched a little initially but settled down nicely. I
                didn't have time to pre-stretch them before we left, but it wasn't a
                problem.

                I am going to change the HH to webbing tho. I tried the Prusik knot
                suspension this weekend, and while it held nicely and was easily
                adjustable, it was a lot more complicated than just using a four wrap
                knot. Plus I had to keep up with the Prusik Loops.

                I may even put webbing on my Tarps to eliminate tree huggers from my
                system all together. They are really a single use item anyway and if I
                use straps I don't need them, or the aggrivation of keeping up with
                them.

                And, the Strap Stake Pockets worked great!
                http://tinyurl.com/ozn4m
                We had a great weekend and I did manage to get in some short hikes.

                Rat

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chinell, David F \(GE Indust,
                Security\)" <david.chinell@...> wrote:

                > Rat:
                >
                > Can you specify which weight and width you got? I got some
                lightweight 1" polypro in olive drab (how stealthy!) but it seemed
                quite a bit stretchier than Ed's strapping.

                > Bear

              • Rat
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
                  Actually it is sewn into the tree-huggers for the tarps. But, since I
                  am thinking of getting rid of the tree-huggers they will be sewn into
                  the supprt straps for the tarps. They can just as easily be on the
                  hammock support tho.

                  Rat

                  > i like the strap pocket rat... is that made onto the end of a
                  webbing that is the support on one end of your hammock? ...tim
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
                    rat... i`m liking the attached stake bag. anything that helps keep stuff simple & orginized at the same time is a good thing. i think i like putting it on the hammock support even better.
                    BTW... i guess it`s ok that i looked at the rest of the 14 pictures from your car camping trip. i`m fixin to do a car camping trip w/ friends this comming weekend.
                    is that you eating the banana?

                    Rat <hogn8r2004@...> wrote:
                    Actually it is sewn into the tree-huggers for the tarps. But, since I
                    am thinking of getting rid of the tree-huggers they will be sewn into
                    the supprt straps for the tarps. They can just as easily be on the
                    hammock support tho.

                    Rat

                    > i like the strap pocket rat... is that made onto the end of a
                    webbing that is the support on one end of your hammock? ...tim

                  • Tod Massa
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 4, 2006
                      btw, I really like the Strap Stke Pockets....made two today, one for me, one for my son.

                      Tod

                      --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, tim garner wrote:

                      > i like the strap pocket rat... is that made onto the end of a
                      webbing that is the support on one end of your hammock? ...tim

                    • David Chinell
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 5, 2006
                        Rat:

                        Maybe that explains it -- the difference between 1 and 1-1/4 inch
                        width. And now that I've got my straps a little stretched out, they do
                        seem more stable.

                        Bear
                      • Rat
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 5, 2006
                          No that's my Mom's boyfriend, Joe, eating the Banana. I'm the dork
                          sitting at the table with the Boonie hat on. My son snaped the
                          picture! I'm also the one holding the Armadillo, but I don't think you
                          can see my face in that one. It was the first time Gage had seen an
                          Armadillo up close. And the first time in yeeeeeeears I had caught
                          one. It's good to know I can still out think an Armadillo! :) Catching
                          Armadillos is becoming a lost art:)

                          Feel free to look at any of the pictures. I just started using Yahoo
                          Photos, but so far I like it.

                          Rat