douple hammock / S.P.E.

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 30, 2006
      in the photo section (as double hammock / S.P.E.)i put a photo of an
      idea i`ve been thinking about. i could be going on something some one
      else has already talked about, but i can`t remember.
      it`s basicly a SPE x 4, but wide enough that it is sewn into the
      hammock. the SPE would be a lighter fabric than the hammock... also a
      little wider. this would alow it to lay in the hammock body w/o
      pulling a great deal on the edges of the hammock. but it would keep
      the pad centered & the ccf wings in place.
      just wanted to throw it out as food for thought. ...tim
    • jonas4321
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "tim garner" <slowhike@...> wrote:

        > in the photo section (as double hammock / S.P.E.)i put a photo of an
        > idea i`ve been thinking about. i could be going on something some one
        > else has already talked about, but i can`t remember.
        > it`s basicly a SPE x 4, but wide enough that it is sewn into the
        > hammock. the SPE would be a lighter fabric than the hammock... also a
        > little wider. this would alow it to lay in the hammock body w/o
        > pulling a great deal on the edges of the hammock. but it would keep
        > the pad centered & the ccf wings in place.
        > just wanted to throw it out as food for thought. ...tim

        Tim-

        Cool idea. I am concerned about putting stitching in the body of a
        hammock, but since all of the hammocks I have made are double-bottom
        (Risk's ZHammock design), I would be more comfortable if the stitching
        was only in the top layer, leaving the bottom layer un-perforated. Use
        1.1oz ripstop for both layers, but sew a third partial layer of
        pouches for the DAM (or other pad) and the insulating pad segments. I
        made my own SPE-type thingie for winter camping, but keeping it
        centered in the hammock whilst getting in and out was a little tricky,
        particularly with the DAM making me ride a lot higher inside. Sewing
        the pockets directly in the top layer would eliminate shifting but
        still give the benefits of a SPE. When pads weren't needed, the
        pouches would simply remain empty.

        I like the artistic work! Nice use of color!

        Jonas
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2006
          jonas4321 <jonas4321@...> wrote: .Tim-

          Cool idea. I am concerned about putting stitching in the body of a
          hammock, but since all of the hammocks I have made are double-bottom
          (Risk's ZHammock design), I would be more comfortable if the stitching
          was only in the top layer, leaving the bottom layer un-perforated. Use
          1.1oz ripstop for both layers, but sew a third partial layer of
          pouches for the DAM (or other pad) and the insulating pad segments. I
          made my own SPE-type thingie for winter camping, but keeping it
          centered in the hammock whilst getting in and out was a little tricky,
          particularly with the DAM making me ride a lot higher inside. Sewing
          the pockets directly in the top layer would eliminate shifting but
          still give the benefits of a SPE. When pads weren't needed, the
          pouches would simply remain empty.

          I like the artistic work! Nice use of color!

          Jonas

          ### thanks jonas... yep i`ve had that same problem w/ keeping the SPE in place.
          mabey ed & dave will go into the production mode :~) ...tim

        • Tod Massa
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
            Hi, first, I am new here. Second, I contemplated a similar approach, but decided to start out simple. I have been hammocking for over a year in an ENO Double, but wanted to go a little lighter and more custom.

            What I have done is made a ZHammock and matching SPE. However, with my SPE, I started with an army surplus poncho liner and then sewed pockets into it to support a full length pad, an additional 14" pad (i'm 6'4", my son is 6'6"), and 8 pockets for wings up to 8" wide, or extra thick. I figure that this gives me a maximum of flexibility, and additional warmth. In the past I have simply wrapped the pocho liner around the pad, but that doesn't last through the night, but I do know it is a good combo.

            I have just about finished a matching tarp as well...just have to do the tie outs tonight. The final project I have been working on is a gearskin. I have a little more work to do on the shoulder straps and then add the the hardware and it will be done. Right now, it weighs in at 24oz.

            Tod