Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: YAHHO on the PCT

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 30, 2006
      seuss... good to hear from you. what did you insulate your underquilt with?
      any new bear storys? ...tim

      seuss910 <wrv77@...> wrote:
      I tried something similar with a BA Cross Mountain bag a year or so
      ago. I put velcro (loop) strips on the edges of the bottom of the bag
      at hip and shoulder spots. Then I put hook velcro on some duct tape
      tabs i had attached to CCF hip and shoulder wings. So I'd just slide
      a ridge rest into the BA sleeve, velcro the extensions in place, and
      sleep soundly and warmly all night long. At least, that was the plan.
      Any movement at night would pull the wings off and I'd stil wake up
      with cold spots. I haven't totally given up on the idea, but since I
      made meself an underquilt it's not been a priority. I think with
      wider/stronger velcro attachment points it could still be feasible.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" wrote:
      > >
      > > Since
      > > adding SPE style wings won't work with the pad sleeve, I am
      > definitely
      > > going to reconsider the idea of adding a bottom with insulation.
      >
      > Why can't you sew SPE style wings to the outside of the BA sleeve?
      >
      > Jeff

    • seuss910
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 30, 2006
        No, not a HH. I always think of it as a "Speer type" hammock but Ed
        usually classifies it as "other."

        I used 7/8 inch hook and loop (generic, non-Velcro(tm)) on the BA pad
        sleeve. It wasn't enough. It needed a stronger and/or wider connection.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" <lsramos13@...> wrote:

        > Good idea, seuss. What size velcro strips did you use? This seems like
        > an easy enough mod to make and evaluate without damaging the bag.
        >
        > How did you attach the underquilt (I assume you're still talking
        about a
        > HH)?
        >
        > Scott
      • seuss910
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 30, 2006
          Heya, tim. It's the same PG3D underquilt you saw before.

          No new bear stories - but I did have a nasty run in with a jellyfish a
          month or so ago. But by the time I get the story to explain the new
          scar on my arm properly tuned i think the jellyfish will have turned
          into a shark. Just has a nicer ring to it.

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 31, 2006
            seuss910 <wrv77@...> wrote: Heya, tim. It's the same PG3D underquilt you saw before.

            No new bear stories - but I did have a nasty run in with a jellyfish a
            month or so ago. But by the time I get the story to explain the new
            scar on my arm properly tuned i think the jellyfish will have turned
            into a shark. Just has a nicer ring to it.

            ### sounds... evolutionary :~) ...tim

            .