Re: [Hammock Camping] Great day yesterday

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 29, 2006
      bobby... yep , that`s the place. one of my favorite areas. and this weekend.
      i`ve hiked in from massie gap (grayson highlands st. pk.) to rodo gap or on over to pine mt dozens of times.
      but i`ve been exploring other trails in the last year.
      this week end the plan is to hike in from the elk garden parking area (west of mt rogers).
      we may set-up some where reasonably close to the thomas knob shelter (& it`s water source), or near rodo gap (& it`s water hole), or if wer`e really feeling froggy, we may walk on over to pine mt (& it`s water hole).
      you can see, wer`e not out do do a lot of miles. just a chance for three amigos to hang-out awhile.
      but if you don`t mind, mabey we could swing by to meet you & see your set-up.
      and mabey you`ll want to check out the new tarp a friend & i just finished. ...tim

      Robert Woods <rlwoods61@...> wrote:
      Tim,

      If you mean Labor Day weekend, then a bunch of hikers are going to be at Rhododendrum Gap in the Grayson Highlands State Park. I will be sleeping in my HH Backpacker Asym.

      Bobby Woods
      .

    • Robert Woods
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 30, 2006
        Tim,

        I'm not sure where we will be. I do know we will be at Rhododendrum gap some where. When I get more information I will e-mail you. We will have a pretty big group (about 8 people) for Friday night. It will go to a larger group on Sat. night but I plan on leaving Sat morning and doing so exploring of my own. This will only be my 2nd trip to this area.

        When we were up there several weeks ago, the water at Rho. Gap was dried up and the fence gone. We walked down to Thomas Knob to get water.

        Bobby

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 30, 2006
          bobby... we may not be leaving winston-salem untill sat morn, so looks like i`ll miss you on this one. but we can exchange notes next week. any other hammockers in your group?
          thanks for the heads up on the water hole at rodo gap. i wonder what happened to the fence? anyway, after all this rain the springs may be flowing again.
          looks like it could be a good weekend to test the new tarp. ...tim

          Robert Woods <rlwoods61@...> wrote:
          Tim,

          I'm not sure where we will be. I do know we will be at Rhododendrum gap some where. When I get more information I will e-mail you. We will have a pretty big group (about 8 people) for Friday night. It will go to a larger group on Sat. night but I plan on leaving Sat morning and doing so exploring of my own. This will only be my 2nd trip to this area.

          When we were up there several weeks ago, the water at Rho. Gap was dried up and the fence gone. We walked down to Thomas Knob to get water.

          Bobby.

          ..