Re: YAHHO on the PCT

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 29, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "seuss910" <wrv77@...> wrote:

      > I tried something similar with a BA Cross Mountain bag a year or
      so
      > ago. I put velcro (loop) strips on the edges of the bottom of the
      bag
      > at hip and shoulder spots....

      I've designed one of these but haven't bought the materials to
      prototype it yet. Basically, take a SPE and put a zipper down the
      edges but between the wings. At about the waist or knees, the
      zipper starts to "V" in towards the ankles. Here's the important
      part - the zipper is on separate sides, and one side has a
      slider...and the zipper is sized to match popular bags. So you
      could take a full-zip Western Mountaineering bag, and this modified
      SPE, and turn it into a ready-made winter hammock solution.

      Then when you're not in the hammock, you still have a full pad and
      normal sleeping bag.

      Jeff
    • farpost
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 30, 2006
        Good idea, seuss. What size velcro strips did you use? This seems like
        an easy enough mod to make and evaluate without damaging the bag.

        How did you attach the underquilt (I assume you're still talking about a
        HH)?

        Scott

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 30, 2006
          seuss... good to hear from you. what did you insulate your underquilt with?
          any new bear storys? ...tim

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" wrote:

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" wrote:
          > >
          > > Since
          > > adding SPE style wings won't work with the pad sleeve, I am
          > definitely
          > > going to reconsider the idea of adding a bottom with insulation.
          >
          > Why can't you sew SPE style wings to the outside of the BA sleeve?
          >
          > Jeff

        • seuss910
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 30, 2006
            No, not a HH. I always think of it as a "Speer type" hammock but Ed
            usually classifies it as "other."

            I used 7/8 inch hook and loop (generic, non-Velcro(tm)) on the BA pad
            sleeve. It wasn't enough. It needed a stronger and/or wider connection.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" <lsramos13@...> wrote:

            > Good idea, seuss. What size velcro strips did you use? This seems like
            > an easy enough mod to make and evaluate without damaging the bag.
            >
            > How did you attach the underquilt (I assume you're still talking
            about a
            > HH)?
            >
            > Scott
          • seuss910
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 30, 2006
              Heya, tim. It's the same PG3D underquilt you saw before.

              No new bear stories - but I did have a nasty run in with a jellyfish a
              month or so ago. But by the time I get the story to explain the new
              scar on my arm properly tuned i think the jellyfish will have turned
              into a shark. Just has a nicer ring to it.

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 31, 2006
                seuss910 <wrv77@...> wrote: Heya, tim. It's the same PG3D underquilt you saw before.

                No new bear stories - but I did have a nasty run in with a jellyfish a
                month or so ago. But by the time I get the story to explain the new
                scar on my arm properly tuned i think the jellyfish will have turned
                into a shark. Just has a nicer ring to it.

                ### sounds... evolutionary :~) ...tim

                .