YAHHO on the PCT

  • farpost
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 29 1:16 PM
      Just got back from a 5-day trip on the PCT with my 25 year-old son
      (75 miles, Stevens to Snoqualmie passes, in WA state). Got to test
      using my HH ULBA using the double-ring system which I continue to
      like. Since we were a blended camp system--he used my tarp
      tent--finding good sites for both tent and hammock meant that some
      tree configurations were not optimal. Which made the webbing to
      double-rings tie-up considerably more convenient than tying the loop
      knots at trees that were difficult to sidle up to.

      We met another pair of hikers while in the Alpine Lakes area with whom
      we swapped gear ideas. They were quite interested in the hammock so I
      gave a demo. Of course, at that elevation, there weren't many suitable
      trees and I had to wrap my webbing through a tangle of branches. Then,
      ahem, ... I blew the demo--got one of the straps twisted and it failed
      when he got in! Oh, well, once I got the webbing straightened out, and
      he got the real test, we have another convert!

      My sleep system is a Big Agnes bag in which I slide a 3/4 Ridge Rest.
      Has worked fine for me for several years, but below 40 F, it's on the
      edge of comfort. The insulation from the RR was just fine, but the
      cold spots beyond the width of the pad were just not manageable. Since
      adding SPE style wings won't work with the pad sleeve, I am definitely
      going to reconsider the idea of adding a bottom with insulation.

      Without shelling out many $$$, what would you recommend as a retrofit
      to this system?

      Scott

      PCT = Pacific Crest Trail
      YAHHO = Yet Another Hennessy Hammock Outing
      etc.
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 29 1:44 PM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" <lsramos13@...> wrote:

        > Since
        > adding SPE style wings won't work with the pad sleeve, I am
        definitely
        > going to reconsider the idea of adding a bottom with insulation.

        Why can't you sew SPE style wings to the outside of the BA sleeve?

        Jeff
      • seuss910
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 29 2:43 PM
          I tried something similar with a BA Cross Mountain bag a year or so
          ago. I put velcro (loop) strips on the edges of the bottom of the bag
          at hip and shoulder spots. Then I put hook velcro on some duct tape
          tabs i had attached to CCF hip and shoulder wings. So I'd just slide
          a ridge rest into the BA sleeve, velcro the extensions in place, and
          sleep soundly and warmly all night long. At least, that was the plan.
          Any movement at night would pull the wings off and I'd stil wake up
          with cold spots. I haven't totally given up on the idea, but since I
          made meself an underquilt it's not been a priority. I think with
          wider/stronger velcro attachment points it could still be feasible.

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" <lsramos13@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Since
          > > adding SPE style wings won't work with the pad sleeve, I am
          > definitely
          > > going to reconsider the idea of adding a bottom with insulation.
          >
          > Why can't you sew SPE style wings to the outside of the BA sleeve?
          >
          > Jeff

        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 29 4:03 PM
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "seuss910" <wrv77@...> wrote:

            > I tried something similar with a BA Cross Mountain bag a year or
            so
            > ago. I put velcro (loop) strips on the edges of the bottom of the
            bag
            > at hip and shoulder spots....

            I've designed one of these but haven't bought the materials to
            prototype it yet. Basically, take a SPE and put a zipper down the
            edges but between the wings. At about the waist or knees, the
            zipper starts to "V" in towards the ankles. Here's the important
            part - the zipper is on separate sides, and one side has a
            slider...and the zipper is sized to match popular bags. So you
            could take a full-zip Western Mountaineering bag, and this modified
            SPE, and turn it into a ready-made winter hammock solution.

            Then when you're not in the hammock, you still have a full pad and
            normal sleeping bag.

            Jeff
          • farpost
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 30 12:54 PM
              Good idea, seuss. What size velcro strips did you use? This seems like
              an easy enough mod to make and evaluate without damaging the bag.

              How did you attach the underquilt (I assume you're still talking about a
              HH)?

              Scott

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 30 5:33 PM
                seuss... good to hear from you. what did you insulate your underquilt with?
                any new bear storys? ...tim

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" wrote:

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" wrote:
                > >
                > > Since
                > > adding SPE style wings won't work with the pad sleeve, I am
                > definitely
                > > going to reconsider the idea of adding a bottom with insulation.
                >
                > Why can't you sew SPE style wings to the outside of the BA sleeve?
                >
                > Jeff

              • seuss910
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 30 8:19 PM
                  No, not a HH. I always think of it as a "Speer type" hammock but Ed
                  usually classifies it as "other."

                  I used 7/8 inch hook and loop (generic, non-Velcro(tm)) on the BA pad
                  sleeve. It wasn't enough. It needed a stronger and/or wider connection.

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "farpost" <lsramos13@...> wrote:

                  > Good idea, seuss. What size velcro strips did you use? This seems like
                  > an easy enough mod to make and evaluate without damaging the bag.
                  >
                  > How did you attach the underquilt (I assume you're still talking
                  about a
                  > HH)?
                  >
                  > Scott
                • seuss910
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 30 8:43 PM
                    Heya, tim. It's the same PG3D underquilt you saw before.

                    No new bear stories - but I did have a nasty run in with a jellyfish a
                    month or so ago. But by the time I get the story to explain the new
                    scar on my arm properly tuned i think the jellyfish will have turned
                    into a shark. Just has a nicer ring to it.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 31 4:00 AM
                      seuss910 <wrv77@...> wrote: Heya, tim. It's the same PG3D underquilt you saw before.

                      No new bear stories - but I did have a nasty run in with a jellyfish a
                      month or so ago. But by the time I get the story to explain the new
                      scar on my arm properly tuned i think the jellyfish will have turned
                      into a shark. Just has a nicer ring to it.

                      ### sounds... evolutionary :~) ...tim

                      .