RE: [Hammock Camping] Buying from Wally world

  • Chuck Haak
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 29, 2006
      Rosaleen wrote: I can't necessarily tell polyester from nylon

      My experience is that polyester and nylon act differently when you put a
      flame to them. Nylon melts while polyester just sort of chars. Not that I
      would recommend that you light fabric on fire in Walmart.

      Chuck

      .

      <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714&grpId=8969804&grpspId=1600065843&msgId
      =15566&stime=1156849731&nc1=1&nc2=2&nc3=3>

    • Carey Parks
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 29, 2006
        Yes, please don't light the fabric in Wal-Mart! I just went looking for
        marine emegency flares at my local Wal-Mart (of course everyone has a local
        Wal-Mart now) and was told they stopped selling them four months ago when a
        kid lit one off in that store. The whole chain stopped selling them. So,
        don't light any fabric lest they stop selling it too.

        Carey

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
          Thanks for all the information it is a big help. Monday I found some
          waterproof ripstop nylon in the $1 bin and bought some. Boy is that
          stuff slippery! Wife sewed some snake skins with it to practice
          sewing nylon.

          Yesterday my wife found some ripstop in the $1 bin, and knew how to do
          the 'breathing through the fabric' test (not the fire test) to see if
          it was suitable for a hammock. Bought enough for a zhammock, which
          she sewed up today on her new machine. Glad she bought that new
          sewing machine, even sewing a hammock is fun, so far. I like my HH
          Expedition but she doesn't like the confined feel and I think she will
          like the open hammock, we'll find out this weekend. I promised her a
          DAM for the cooler weather ahead.

          Daniel

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Parks" <cjp129@...>