Re: Buying from Wally world

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 29, 2006
      <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

      > I can't speak for others, but I can't necessarily tell polyester
      from nylon.

      That's a good point - I can't either. Is there a difference in how
      either performs as a hammock? Maybe one is more stretchy or something?

      Jeff
    • Chuck Haak
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 29, 2006
        Rosaleen wrote: I can't necessarily tell polyester from nylon

        My experience is that polyester and nylon act differently when you put a
        flame to them. Nylon melts while polyester just sort of chars. Not that I
        would recommend that you light fabric on fire in Walmart.

        Chuck

        .

        <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714&grpId=8969804&grpspId=1600065843&msgId
        =15566&stime=1156849731&nc1=1&nc2=2&nc3=3>

      • Carey Parks
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 29, 2006
          Yes, please don't light the fabric in Wal-Mart! I just went looking for
          marine emegency flares at my local Wal-Mart (of course everyone has a local
          Wal-Mart now) and was told they stopped selling them four months ago when a
          kid lit one off in that store. The whole chain stopped selling them. So,
          don't light any fabric lest they stop selling it too.

          Carey

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
            Thanks for all the information it is a big help. Monday I found some
            waterproof ripstop nylon in the $1 bin and bought some. Boy is that
            stuff slippery! Wife sewed some snake skins with it to practice
            sewing nylon.

            Yesterday my wife found some ripstop in the $1 bin, and knew how to do
            the 'breathing through the fabric' test (not the fire test) to see if
            it was suitable for a hammock. Bought enough for a zhammock, which
            she sewed up today on her new machine. Glad she bought that new
            sewing machine, even sewing a hammock is fun, so far. I like my HH
            Expedition but she doesn't like the confined feel and I think she will
            like the open hammock, we'll find out this weekend. I promised her a
            DAM for the cooler weather ahead.

            Daniel

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Parks" <cjp129@...>