Buying from Wally world

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 29, 2006
      Daniel-

      I can't speak for others, but I can't necessarily tell polyester from nylon. Ripstop should be discernable from the grid pattern visible. Weight? Without a scale, I'd have to guess by heft and experience with other known material. I'm not there, yet.

      Good luck!

      Rosaleen

      Buying from Wally world
      Posted by: "dexstrom" indyflyer@...<mailto:indyflyer@...> dexstrom
      Date: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:45 pm (PDT)

      How do you know you have 1.9oz ripstop when buying at wally world?
      I've been checking the local store and the nylon looking stuff always
      says "made from unknown material, unknown source" Is the ripstop
      labled as "ripstop nylon", and I just have to keep checking the bins
      or is there some other wording that will tell me that it is what I
      want?

      Daniel
      HH Asym

    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 29, 2006
        <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

        > I can't speak for others, but I can't necessarily tell polyester
        from nylon.

        That's a good point - I can't either. Is there a difference in how
        either performs as a hammock? Maybe one is more stretchy or something?

        Jeff
      • Chuck Haak
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 29, 2006
          Rosaleen wrote: I can't necessarily tell polyester from nylon

          My experience is that polyester and nylon act differently when you put a
          flame to them. Nylon melts while polyester just sort of chars. Not that I
          would recommend that you light fabric on fire in Walmart.

          Chuck

          .

          <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714&grpId=8969804&grpspId=1600065843&msgId
          =15566&stime=1156849731&nc1=1&nc2=2&nc3=3>

        • Carey Parks
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 29, 2006
            Yes, please don't light the fabric in Wal-Mart! I just went looking for
            marine emegency flares at my local Wal-Mart (of course everyone has a local
            Wal-Mart now) and was told they stopped selling them four months ago when a
            kid lit one off in that store. The whole chain stopped selling them. So,
            don't light any fabric lest they stop selling it too.

            Carey

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
              Thanks for all the information it is a big help. Monday I found some
              waterproof ripstop nylon in the $1 bin and bought some. Boy is that
              stuff slippery! Wife sewed some snake skins with it to practice
              sewing nylon.

              Yesterday my wife found some ripstop in the $1 bin, and knew how to do
              the 'breathing through the fabric' test (not the fire test) to see if
              it was suitable for a hammock. Bought enough for a zhammock, which
              she sewed up today on her new machine. Glad she bought that new
              sewing machine, even sewing a hammock is fun, so far. I like my HH
              Expedition but she doesn't like the confined feel and I think she will
              like the open hammock, we'll find out this weekend. I promised her a
              DAM for the cooler weather ahead.

              Daniel

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Parks" <cjp129@...>