Re: Great trip - perfect hammock spot

  • Rat
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28, 2006
      Cool trip. We are going camping (car) with my Mom this weekend and
      the whole Family is coming. Should be interesting, to say the least.

      BTW, the small round holes next to the deer tracks are made from
      the 'dew claws' of the deer. Either the ground was soft, the deer
      was big (heavy) or he was running, or all three! The dew claws are
      higher than the hoof on the leg so you don't see them all the time.
      This time of year they are still in bachelor groups. I'm suprised
      you didn't see many other tracks in the same area.

      Rat

      > For my son's birthday, he decided he wanted a camping trip instead
      > of a party. My job is done. Well, almost.
      >
      > We went to the same place we've been to several times now (Little
      > Sur River) but found a new site. All the way at the end of the
      > little camp area, past all the fire rings, there's a swimming
      hole.
      > And right next to the swimming hole is a little flat spot...not
      flat
      > enough for a tent, and too many rocks for anything other than
      > squeezing a bivy in there...but perfect trees right on the
      shoreline
      > for three hammocks. Awesome.
      >
      > The highlight was watching little bats patrol the swimming hole
      > about 2" above the water, plucking up water bugs with barely more
      > than a ripple. Then they'd fly within a foot or so of us, one
      time
      > UNDER my hammock as I stood next to it, and go back to their
      > patrols. Unique experience for us.
      >
      > Made a few changes to the DownHammock for me, my son used the HH,
      > and his friend used the Crazy Creek. No tarps, no rain, and a low
      > of 48 F.
      >
      > More details and a few pics here:
      > http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesLittleSur3.html
      > http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearDownHammock.html
      >
      > Jeff

    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@...> wrote:

        > BTW, the small round holes next to the deer tracks are made from
        > the 'dew claws' of the deer. Either the ground was soft, the deer
        > was big (heavy) or he was running, or all three! The dew claws are
        > higher than the hoof on the leg so you don't see them all the time.
        > This time of year they are still in bachelor groups. I'm suprised
        > you didn't see many other tracks in the same area.

        The holes were about as big around as my finger. I thought about dew
        claws but I didn't know they could be that big. (Not much of a
        hunter.) These tracks were pretty big and deep, though - it makes
        sense. There were at least two other deer with him...much smaller,
        and I'm sure they weren't running.

        Thanks for the info.

        Jeff