Re: [Hammock Camping] Buying from Wally world

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 28, 2006

      > 5' 13" tall <G> ...how wide... the hammock i mean? ...tim

      Either 50 or 60 inches, whatever wally world was selling.
      When I do NO sewing, I also want to do NO cutting.

      I use my HH, I make the Risk hammocks for my scouts.
      Once we get the kids in them, we'll start discussion weight reduction.

      Ralph

    • Rosaleen Sullivan
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 29, 2006
        Daniel-

        I can't speak for others, but I can't necessarily tell polyester from nylon. Ripstop should be discernable from the grid pattern visible. Weight? Without a scale, I'd have to guess by heft and experience with other known material. I'm not there, yet.

        Good luck!

        Rosaleen

        Buying from Wally world
        Posted by: "dexstrom" indyflyer@...<mailto:indyflyer@...> dexstrom
        Date: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:45 pm (PDT)

        How do you know you have 1.9oz ripstop when buying at wally world?
        I've been checking the local store and the nylon looking stuff always
        says "made from unknown material, unknown source" Is the ripstop
        labled as "ripstop nylon", and I just have to keep checking the bins
        or is there some other wording that will tell me that it is what I
        want?

        Daniel
        HH Asym

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 29, 2006
          <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

          > I can't speak for others, but I can't necessarily tell polyester
          from nylon.

          That's a good point - I can't either. Is there a difference in how
          either performs as a hammock? Maybe one is more stretchy or something?

          Jeff
        • Chuck Haak
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 29, 2006
            Rosaleen wrote: I can't necessarily tell polyester from nylon

            My experience is that polyester and nylon act differently when you put a
            flame to them. Nylon melts while polyester just sort of chars. Not that I
            would recommend that you light fabric on fire in Walmart.

            Chuck

            .

            <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714&grpId=8969804&grpspId=1600065843&msgId
            =15566&stime=1156849731&nc1=1&nc2=2&nc3=3>

          • Carey Parks
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 29, 2006
              Yes, please don't light the fabric in Wal-Mart! I just went looking for
              marine emegency flares at my local Wal-Mart (of course everyone has a local
              Wal-Mart now) and was told they stopped selling them four months ago when a
              kid lit one off in that store. The whole chain stopped selling them. So,
              don't light any fabric lest they stop selling it too.

              Carey

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 5, 2006
                Thanks for all the information it is a big help. Monday I found some
                waterproof ripstop nylon in the $1 bin and bought some. Boy is that
                stuff slippery! Wife sewed some snake skins with it to practice
                sewing nylon.

                Yesterday my wife found some ripstop in the $1 bin, and knew how to do
                the 'breathing through the fabric' test (not the fire test) to see if
                it was suitable for a hammock. Bought enough for a zhammock, which
                she sewed up today on her new machine. Glad she bought that new
                sewing machine, even sewing a hammock is fun, so far. I like my HH
                Expedition but she doesn't like the confined feel and I think she will
                like the open hammock, we'll find out this weekend. I promised her a
                DAM for the cooler weather ahead.

                Daniel

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Parks" <cjp129@...>