Using vector pull to keep Tarp on Hennessey tight

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28, 2006
      Hello, hikernw2000-

      It seems to me that you missed part of Tom Hennessy's water bottle suggestion. He designed a funnel that screws onto a water bottle/Platypus-type container AND hooks onto the corner of a rain fly. When this is set up, the idea is a pair of bottles are empty, the tarp and lines are dry, and the user has his fly tensioned more or less ideally. Should rain come, the fly and lines will stretch and sag as they get wet. Water running down the fly into the funnels and water bottles gradually add increasing weight to the stretching parts, maintaining tension on the fly.

      The way I read your message, you are suggesting adding a filled water bottle to the end of the fly. Perhaps that was an old method, and one I've used to stop flapping on a windy night. The current buzz, though, is about using the new water collection system to maintain tension in the event of rain.

      Cheers!

      Rosaleen

      Using vector pull to keep Tarp on Hennessey tight?
      Posted by: "hikernw2000" hikernw2000@...<mailto:hikernw2000@...> hikernw2000
      Date: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:00 am (PDT)

      Instead of putting a water bottle on the end of the tarp (as Hennessey
      suggests), why not just run a line at 90 degrees to the tarp, and its
      line going to the ground.

      You might be able to use the same stake that pulls out the body of the
      hammock, if that does not put to much stress on the stake?

      It seems like you could put as much pull on this as a full water
      bottle, and it also would prevent the tarp from going up beyond the
      length of this line. Only disadvantage might be that the tarp might
      be that the tarp would be a little lower to start with?

      Putting tarp on its on ridgeline would also help?

    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28, 2006
        Another important aspect of the water funnels seems to be that you can
        enjoy a nice open tarp when the weather is nice, but when the rains
        come you don't need to get up and adjust your tarp - the bottles
        automatically lower the tarp into "storm position" as they fill. That
        could be a nice convenience in the middle of the night.

        Jeff
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 29, 2006
          Rosaleen:

          At one time I whined about the permeability of the Mosquito Hammock Jungle model tarp, and you suggested a DWR I should try. But I failed to note it. Can you refresh my memory? And was is something I'd apply in my washing machine or what?

          Bear

        • Rosaleen Sullivan
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 29, 2006
            Hey, Bear!

            How nice to hear from you! I don't recall EVER hearing you "whine!" Question, or comment, yes.

            If I recommended a DWR, it would have been Atsko Water-Guard. The article must first be washed in Sport-Wash. Atsko often packages one washer load-sized "pillow-pack" inside their Water-Guard caps to help insure customers can first wash contaminants out of the item to be treated. After the Water-Guard is dry, the polymer finish must be heat-set. Can your hammock go into your dryer for a short perio of time? (I hope so.)

            Good luck, and I look forward to hearing how things are going for you.

            Cheers!

            Rosaleen

            4. DWR recommendation?
            Posted by: "Chinell, David F (GE Indust, Security)" david.chinell@...<mailto:david.chinell@...> dchinell