Great day yesterday

  • BRIAN
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 27, 2006
      I'm very excited. Yesterday I found some 1.9 oz calendared ripstop
      nylon in (yep, you guessed it) the dollar bin at wally world. I will
      soon be sporting a new hammock that hopefully will fit me better. I
      short changed myself last time in order to try and save some weight at
      the cost of some comfort. It was not a worthwhile trade.

      Also I happened upon a sweet, err, shweet deal on a dual purpose
      motorcycle that I can use for my daily commute to work and also as a
      self shuttle for my hiking trips.

      Rick, I know you have used this technique before. Did it work out well
      for you? How did you secure your helment when you left your bike? Any
      suggestions on how to better my odds that the bike will still be there
      when I return to the trailhead? Thanks.

      Brian
      T-BACK

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 27, 2006
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 27, 2006
            brian... i`m in the process of making a new tarp (w/ the help of a seamstres friend) & it will be about 12' long. i made it that long so i could make a 10' hammock.
            it`ll have some interresting features, but i won`t try to describe it now. time to hit the hammock. but if i can make it to hot springs, i`ll be sure to have it there.
            BTW... did you line up that hike you were talking about? ..tim

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 28, 2006
              Brian... so how long and what shape is your fly?

              Dave

            • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 28, 2006
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 28, 2006
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 28, 2006
                    i`d like to but for one thing, i don`t have any time off work now. i was hoping to do at least a 2 night trip on memorial day weekend, but looks like me & a couple friends will do a one nighter in the mount rogers area, south western va. thanks though. ...tim

                    > BTW... did you line up that hike you were talking about? ..tim

                    Tim,

                    Yes the hike is all set up. Hopefully I will have my bike ready to
                    shuttle me by then. You are welcome to join me if you like.

                    Brian
                    T-BACK

                  • Robert Woods
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 29, 2006
                      Tim,

                      If you mean Labor Day weekend, then a bunch of hikers are going to be at Rhododendrum Gap in the Grayson Highlands State Park. I will be sleeping in my HH Backpacker Asym.

                      Bobby Woods

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 29, 2006
                        bobby... yep , that`s the place. one of my favorite areas. and this weekend.
                        i`ve hiked in from massie gap (grayson highlands st. pk.) to rodo gap or on over to pine mt dozens of times.
                        but i`ve been exploring other trails in the last year.
                        this week end the plan is to hike in from the elk garden parking area (west of mt rogers).
                        we may set-up some where reasonably close to the thomas knob shelter (& it`s water source), or near rodo gap (& it`s water hole), or if wer`e really feeling froggy, we may walk on over to pine mt (& it`s water hole).
                        you can see, wer`e not out do do a lot of miles. just a chance for three amigos to hang-out awhile.
                        but if you don`t mind, mabey we could swing by to meet you & see your set-up.
                        and mabey you`ll want to check out the new tarp a friend & i just finished. ...tim

                        Robert Woods <rlwoods61@...> wrote:
                        Tim,

                        If you mean Labor Day weekend, then a bunch of hikers are going to be at Rhododendrum Gap in the Grayson Highlands State Park. I will be sleeping in my HH Backpacker Asym.

                        Bobby Woods
                        .

                      • Robert Woods
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 30, 2006
                          Tim,

                          I'm not sure where we will be. I do know we will be at Rhododendrum gap some where. When I get more information I will e-mail you. We will have a pretty big group (about 8 people) for Friday night. It will go to a larger group on Sat. night but I plan on leaving Sat morning and doing so exploring of my own. This will only be my 2nd trip to this area.

                          When we were up there several weeks ago, the water at Rho. Gap was dried up and the fence gone. We walked down to Thomas Knob to get water.

                          Bobby

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 30, 2006
                            bobby... we may not be leaving winston-salem untill sat morn, so looks like i`ll miss you on this one. but we can exchange notes next week. any other hammockers in your group?
                            thanks for the heads up on the water hole at rodo gap. i wonder what happened to the fence? anyway, after all this rain the springs may be flowing again.
                            looks like it could be a good weekend to test the new tarp. ...tim

                            Robert Woods <rlwoods61@...> wrote:
                            Tim,

                            I'm not sure where we will be. I do know we will be at Rhododendrum gap some where. When I get more information I will e-mail you. We will have a pretty big group (about 8 people) for Friday night. It will go to a larger group on Sat. night but I plan on leaving Sat morning and doing so exploring of my own. This will only be my 2nd trip to this area.

                            When we were up there several weeks ago, the water at Rho. Gap was dried up and the fence gone. We walked down to Thomas Knob to get water.

                            Bobby.

                            ..