Second Annual Veterans Day NE Hammock Campout

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2006
      Subject: Second Annual Veterans Day NE Hammock Campout

      Howdy, Y'All!

      (I lived in Alabama as a young'un and still use that term.)

      Last November a bunch of us met up at Dingmans Ferry Campground in the Delaware Water Gap area of PA. Two die-hards did an extended hike, between 14 and 17 miles, while most of us did a short hike of about 5 miles and spent most of the weekend socializing. We are pretty loose about activities, but can anticipate some hiking, some gear idea exchanges, shared or DIY food, as preferred, and LOTS of socializing. Last year I was able to bring some samples from Atsko, and have been told to supply a head count and I can have more to pass around. (Free samples are always cool! Feel free to arrange what you can.)

      We will most likely use the campground as a base and let people hike from there as they wish. Families, including kids, are invited. The couple of teenagers and pets that showed up last time fit in well. It was cold (maybe mid 20's F one night), but good spirits and a roaring campfire helped to warm us. If the weather is TOO awful, we are kicking around heading to "The Doyle" in Duncannon, instead. It is easier to hang together indoors during a wet, cold, and lo-o-ong night than talk from hammocks or tents. (By November, the daylight hours will be short, of course.)

      Veterans Day Weekend this year falls Nov. 10-12. Drop me a line if you can make it, so we reserve enough campsites and I have enough samples. J.D. volunteered to bring his table top propane grille again. (I always vote for minimal clean-up!) It is great that even cheap hamburgers taste great when camping with a bunch of friends!

      Cheers!

      Rosaleen

      PS-We could put together a "Bring and Show for Us" List, too.