Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Light vs. Heavy vs. Comfort vs. Easy Set-up vs. ???

  • Dylan Anderson
    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 25, 2006
      --- Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

      > Above treeline is a little harder. Both trees and
      > grass are harder to
      > find. Ed Speer talks about hanging between larger
      > boulders especially
      > if a little climbing gear is in the pack.
      >
      > Rick

      This is something I have done. I wish I could find
      the pictures of that trip, but because on most trips
      where I don't have many trees, I am also intending to
      climb, I have all my climbing gear on me. I have
      stuck cams in rock faces and hung off of that, I have
      stretched the full length of my hammock rope over the
      top side of a boulder through a convenient notch and
      tied off to the back side. I imagin as suggested
      already, that a loop of webbing or rope could make a
      good sling mount over the top of a boulder that gets
      thicker at the bottom. In these cases a Speer type or
      other top entry would be handier than a Hennessy I
      feel. After all, the boulder height or crack
      placement is going to be fixed so you might have to be
      awful low. On the other hand, I think hung out over
      small ledges where the possible fall danger is
      greater(I Have done this as well), the bottom entry is
      better.

      For my switch though, I did it for pretty much all of
      the reasons in this list at once. Prior to my comming
      across Hammocks as a means to camp, I used tents
      primarily. I had used tarps too, but found them too
      uncomfortable and with too little secure (weather
      secure) storage that I could get to. Therefor I was
      using tents of a couple varieties, but none less than
      5lbs. The weight was something I would have liked to
      reduce, but I did not see a viable alternative that
      was in a price I was willing to pay. At that time,
      sub-5lb tents, at least those with what I considered
      sufficient space, were over $300. That or they were
      non-freestanding, and out here in the desert, areas to
      stake are few and far between.

      Comfort wise, I had the best pads, but was always
      having a very hard time deciding between my thick (and
      heavy) models, or my light and thin ones that provided
      no comfort at all. Most of the time cold was not an
      issue, but it seemed like every time it would rain,
      and new run off would develop somewhere along one side
      of my tent no matter how well I picked the space,
      cleared it, and (god forbid) sometimes trenched around
      it. Another comfort I do not hear mentioned was that
      of when I packed up and saw the clear cut damage my
      tent would do to even the most barren or dirt. I
      hated seeing the site after a night or two of the tent
      sitting there.

      Then I came across the Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker
      at REI. It was so unbeliably light at whatever it is
      just under two pounds. It was very easy to set up,
      and I really liked the idea of no broken poles
      possible. I also liked the fact that even the
      roughest canyon I could ever travel was now open of
      camping since I did not need a flat bottom. After my
      first night out, I packed up, had to take off to find
      a missing pot down by the creek, and when I got back
      to my pack, I could not remember which two trees I had
      hung on. Not only did I have the most comfortable
      sleep in the woods ever (and woke up two hours later
      than I normally would have in the tent!), but I felt
      comfortable in the knowledge that for once, I really
      was leaving a site just as I found it. Ultimately I
      returned the UBP, but I bought the Safari Model direct
      from Tom. I know, 4lbs, but I still saved 1lb off my
      old tent, and I wanted as much space inside as
      possible for maximum comfort.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Dylan Anderson
      Message 39 of 39 , Aug 25, 2006