rope tightener

    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 23, 2006
      on the backpackinglight.com (BPL) site i saw a device that i havent
      seen before.
      the company is night ize, & the prouduct is the figure 9 rope
      tightener. it comes in small & large. on the BPL site they mentioned
      that hammock users may be interrested in trying the large.
      i went to the night ize sight & found them (i think i had to click
      on accessorys, at the top of the page).
      the large is for rope sizes 1/8 (3mm) to 3/8 (9mm).
      it weighs 1.1oz.
      i don`t remember if it gave a load limit. i`ll have to go back &
      see.
      i also have to wonder about rope damage because of the teeth that
      hold the rope, even though the rope probably isn`t under much pressure
      at that point because of the wrap. looks interresting anyway.
      ...tim
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 23, 2006
        ok... it only gives a 150 lb (67.5 kg) load limit. so that might be
        such a good idea. mabey if they made an extra lg at around 1.5 ozs.
        to see it, google night ize, go to the home page & click on hardware
        accesorys at the top of the page.
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 23, 2006
          One of the things backpackinglight.com doesn't do well
          is spell. It is NOT Nightize it IS Niteize. I am
          waiting for them to go on sale in a couple weeks.

          http://www.niteize.com/category.php?category_id=29

          Not much information here yet. I call the company on
          Monday after the OR Show and was told it was so new he
          didn't know anything about them yet. He did say they
          should be on sale in three weeks. That was last week.
          They will come in a couple of sizes and I thought
          about using one for spectra cord between my hammock
          and tree huggers. I think my Ed Speer webbing might
          work with the things but I will need to get one and
          try it to see.

          Bill in Texas

          --- tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:

          > on the backpackinglight.com (BPL) site i saw a
          > device that i havent
          > seen before.
          > the company is night ize, & the prouduct is the
          > figure 9 rope
          > tightener. it comes in small & large. on the BPL
          > site they mentioned
          > that hammock users may be interrested in trying the
          > large.
          > i went to the night ize sight & found them (i
          > think i had to click
          > on accessorys, at the top of the page).
          > the large is for rope sizes 1/8 (3mm) to 3/8
          > (9mm).
          > it weighs 1.1oz.
          > i don`t remember if it gave a load limit. i`ll have
          > to go back &
          > see.
          > i also have to wonder about rope damage because of
          > the teeth that
          > hold the rope, even though the rope probably isn`t
          > under much pressure
          > at that point because of the wrap. looks
          > interresting anyway.
          > ...tim

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Carey Parks
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 23, 2006
            Geeze! Tie a knot for Pete's sake! I'm amaized at the number of "better
            mousetraps" that keep popping up to do things TO rope that can be done WITH
            rope.

            I use a prusik knot to hang one end of my hammock from the (min 1.5 in)
            straps I use on the tree. This holds me fine and can be adjusted without
            untying anything. While this does require a short section of line in
            addition to the hammock, I can use this line for other purposes as well. I
            have also used a trucker's hitch, finished off with a midshipman's hitch
            which I load lightly to save wear on both the hammock and the tree. This can
            be tied in the hammonk suspension line itself. It's basically a simple pully
            system and the working bits of the prusik tied in the free end of the
            hammock line. There are probably others that work well also.

            I put a photo of my prusik knot in the photos section of this group. See
            "SmirkinMan's photos" for the knot picture. I'm using a carabiner to attache
            the hammock just because this loop and caribiner stay together for use as my
            rappel back-up on the leg loop of my harness. I found it worked fine in dry
            or wet conditions. I'm going to make a second loop and dedicate it to
            hammock duty.

            A knot weighs nothing, you can't lose it, you can carry as many as you need,
            and even share them with others! There are many good knot web sites that
            the popular search engines will point you too. Grab a three foot piece of
            line and have a go. You'll be glad you did.

            Carey

            "If you can't tie a good knot - tie plenty of them."

            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 23, 2006
              thanks bill... if you will, let us know about them going on sale. i`d be interrested in knowing what you think about them. ...tim

              Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...> wrote: One of the things backpackinglight.com doesn't do well

                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 23, 2006
                  I'm not sure if this is legit, but this ebay store is offering the "Figure 9" devices now.
                  http://stores.ebay.com/LED-SECURITY-SOLUTIONS
                  The Large weighs 1.1 oz and is rated to hold 150 lbs.; the Small is .13 ozs (?) and rated for 50 lbs. according to the pictures of the packaging or brochures shown. Something doesn't seem right there. Looks like a very clever device. But couldn't a well chosen knot accomplish the same thing?

                  --- tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:

                  > on the backpackinglight.com (BPL) site i saw a
                  > device that i havent
                  > seen before.
                  > the company is night ize, & the prouduct is the
                  > figure 9 rope
                  > tightener. it comes in small & large. on the BPL
                  > site they mentioned
                  > that hammock users may be interrested in trying the
                  > large.
                  > i went to the night ize sight & found them (i
                  > think i had to click
                  > on accessorys, at the top of the page).
                  > the large is for rope sizes 1/8 (3mm) to 3/8
                  > (9mm).
                  > it weighs 1.1oz.
                  > i don`t remember if it gave a load limit. i`ll have
                  > to go back &
                  > see.
                  > i also have to wonder about rope damage because of
                  > the teeth that
                  > hold the rope, even though the rope probably isn`t
                  > under much pressure
                  > at that point because of the wrap. looks
                  > interresting anyway.
                  > ...tim

                • Coy
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 23, 2006
                    speaking for myself, if a devise weighed about 1.5 oz, would safely
                    and securly hold a rope and not weaken it as much as a knot then I
                    would consider using it even knowing how to tie a knot. besides
                    didnt you read the add

                    "The Figure 9 rope tightener eliminates the frustration of tying,
                    adjusting and untying knots."

                    I have had a few knots sieze on me (operator error, I'm sure) this
                    might eliminate some of the operator error.

                    last point. you could be a little more tactful in your replies. I
                    dont think you meant anything hateful but it could be construed as
                    such as written...maybe add a smily face:')

                    Coy Boy

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Parks" <cjp129@...>

                  • list@moz.geek.nz
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 23, 2006
                      Rick said:
                      > "Figure 9" devices. Something doesn't seem right there. Looks like a
                      > very clever device. But couldn't a well chosen knot accomplish the same
                      > thing?

                      Not really - if you want a knot to come undone as soon as the rope goes
                      slack you've usually got to spend a bit of time tying it just right.
                      Plus the jagged side looks as though it's designed to destroy the sheath
                      on a braided rope, and no knot is going to do that.

                      I've tied truckie hitches that do come apart easily, even under tension,
                      but they're not easy to construct and in twist rope they can be a complete
                      pig to undo if they've been around for a while, especially if they're
                      made with clove hitches instead of half hitches. Not as bad as the
                      degenerate "drivers hitch" based on a figure 8, but close.

                      Moz
                    • Carey Parks
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 24, 2006
                        hi Tim,

                        Sorry if it sounded like I was upset with you, I'm not (knot?) I'm upset
                        with things being marketed that you have to buy that replace a skill -that's
                        potenially a life saver. People can solve a lot of problems with a rope and
                        some knots, but I fear the skill is being lost to time.

                        Cheers,

                        Carey

                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 24, 2006
                          Hi Coy,

                          Yeah, you got the "dont think you meant anything hateful " part right. Sorry
                          to all. I read somewhere that the same thing said in an e-mail vs. spoken on
                          the phone is recieved more negatively. How true.

                          wrote:

                          > Geeze! Tie a knot for Pete's sake! I'm amaized at the number
                          of "better
                          > mousetraps" that keep popping up to do things TO rope that can be
                          done WITH
                          > rope.
                          >
                          > I use a prusik knot to hang one end of my hammock from the (min
                          1.5 in)
                          > straps I use on the tree. This holds me fine and can be adjusted
                          without
                          > untying anything. While this does require a short section of line
                          in
                          > addition to the hammock, I can use this line for other purposes as
                          well. I
                          > have also used a trucker's hitch, finished off with a midshipman's
                          hitch
                          > which I load lightly to save wear on both the hammock and the
                          tree. This can
                          > be tied in the hammonk suspension line itself. It's basically a
                          simple pully
                          > system and the working bits of the prusik tied in the free end of
                          the
                          > hammock line. There are probably others that work well also.
                          >
                          > I put a photo of my prusik knot in the photos section of this
                          group. See
                          > "SmirkinMan's photos" for the knot picture. I'm using a carabiner
                          to attache
                          > the hammock just because this loop and caribiner stay together for
                          use as my
                          > rappel back-up on the leg loop of my harness. I found it worked
                          fine in dry
                          > or wet conditions. I'm going to make a second loop and dedicate it
                          > hammock duty.
                          >
                          > A knot weighs nothing, you can't lose it, you can carry as many as
                          you need,
                          > and even share them with others! There are many good knot web
                          sites that
                          > the popular search engines will point you too. Grab a three foot
                          piece of
                          > line and have a go. You'll be glad you did.
                          >
                          > Carey
                          >
                          > "If you can't tie a good knot - tie plenty of them."

                        • lakewood_matt
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 24, 2006
                            I am new to hammock camping but have been using the trucker's hitch for years.
                            It saved my A$$ the first time I used my HH. Also, thanks for the info on the prusik
                            knot. I was wondering how that was tied. Lots of info on the net about knots but does
                            anyone have any other knots that they frequently used in hammocking?
                          • Wynne Eden
                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 24, 2006
                              I took a long look at the images, and cut some shapes out of this
                              plastic stuff I have. I played around without any real load -- 5/6
                              pound bag of sugar with a handle on top and slippery 1/16 line. I
                              broke the plastic model dropping the bag once and had to make another,
                              so strength wasn't the point of the experiment--the question of
                              whether it'd hold the line or not was.

                              Without the sheath-eating teeth (agree with you on that one), you can
                              use this same basic shape by doing an around and under knot -- like
                              you do on the top, sorta. However, the knot they advise won't work
                              without the teeth (am assuming it does with them)

                              It also seems that you could use that same knot as on top through a
                              second eye -- but then you'd have a figure 8 descender :-P

                              I'm a knot guy way down deep. I think some of the various web
                              tensioners or climbing devices could work, but haven't had the
                              problems you guys have with untying or needing to adjust in the rain
                              at 3am, I guess.

                              However, if someone has access to thick sheet aluminum and a cutter,
                              maybe messing around with shapes/ideas would be interesting.
                            • Bill Fornshell
                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 24, 2006
                                The advantage to me in using this "tightener thing" is
                                doing it with my gloves on when it is cold and undoing
                                it in the morning also with my gloves on. Thin
                                Spectra cord is hard for my old fingers to un-knot.

                                With the Ed Speer 1" webbing that I use anything close
                                to a knot will hold that stuff. No skill required
                                unless you never learned how to tie your shoe laces.
                                But I want to replace the webbing from the hammock end
                                a set of tree huggers with some really light weight
                                spectra cord and this thing "might??" do the trick to
                                connect the two, quick and easy.

                                The key word here for me is "weight savings" and what
                                I can do to save weight for "me" on my SUL Hammock.

                                I have everything necessary to make one of these but I
                                think they will be cheap. If they cost more than a
                                couple dollars each I will be surprised.

                                Bill in Texas

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 24, 2006
                                  no problem. i agree that knowing how to use knots is as important as having good basic map & compass skills. i may very likley get a GPS some day, but you never know when the electronics are going to go.
                                  i guess, like the others mentioned in posts following yours, the convenince would sure be nice at times.
                                  i`ve set-up in the rain when i was hungry, tired, & cold more than once. and when i lay down in the hammock, & it feels so good i`d rather go to sleep hungry than fix any thing to eat, but the hammock is noticeably not hung right... man, i hate putting my rain jacket back on & un-doing & re-doing.
                                  it`s not often a concern, but at times.... so i`m still interrested in looking at lightweight, simple ways to make adjustments.
                                  and because of he rain thing, being able to do it at the hammock end, under the tarp would be nice.
                                  so far the tent stake method that i posted photos of under slowhike, still has possibilitys. it`s very secure, i just havent spent much time testing it in the field yet.
                                  ...tim

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 24, 2006
                                    Figure 8
                                    Figure 8 loop
                                    Figure 8 loop on a bight
                                    Tautline hitch (plus the knowledge that you can keep adding turns
                                    until you get it to hold)
                                    Double sheet bend
                                    Butterfly loop (always looked cool but I haven't used it)
                                    Prusik (sp?)
                                    Knowing how to tie a knot in a "slipped" manner so you can easily
                                    untie it

                                    That about does it for me.

                                    Bill in Houston

                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "lakewood_matt"

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 24, 2006
                                      hi Tim,

                                      I looked at the tent stake method - pretty interesting. Thinking about it's
                                      merits and drawbacks it seems it is basically moving the figure eight from
                                      the tree huggers to the hammock end of the support rope. Or maybe you have
                                      the 8's on both ends. It matters not if the objective is to be able to
                                      adjust the tension from the hammock end not the tree end. A lot of times it
                                      wouldn't matter, but here is FL I often have to climb into a mangrove a
                                      little to reach the thicker trunk in the middle, and get poked and prodded
                                      while doing it. It wouldn't be fun in the middle of the night or in the
                                      rain. Being able to adjust from the hammock would be handy. The attachment
                                      to the tree huggers could then be something like a bowline double bowline or
                                      a follow-thru 8 that one would tie into a climbing harness with. It will
                                      come out after being loaded.

                                      Another plus is the stake is something you carry anyway, and could be some
                                      other appropriate piece of gear too. The rope will slide over the stake more
                                      easily than it would rope.

                                      Since you have those loops in your hammock end, give this a try - make a
                                      prusik loop that captures your hammock loops and then curl it into the
                                      prusik shape and stick the suspension line through it. Snug it up and you
                                      should have an adjustable connection at your hammock with no knots to do or
                                      undo to adjust the hang.

                                      How do you curl the loop into a prusik with no rope going thru it, then
                                      stick it in later?

                                      1) Take a piece of line of a diameter somewhere around half that of the
                                      suspension rope, and around 20 inches long. This should be good strong
                                      utility cord because you will be hanging from it, multplying the force as
                                      has been discussed here before. You can adjust the length for a better fit
                                      once you see where this is going.
                                      2) Pass the line thru your hammock loops, and using a double or tripple
                                      fisherman on each end form a loop. (We join ropes together like this when
                                      rapelling, so it will hold - done properly.)
                                      3) Now for the tricky part - tricky to describe anyway. Make a "V" with two
                                      fingers of one hand, palm facing you and loop the loop over both of them,
                                      4) Next wrap each side of the loop around it's finger three times or so,
                                      passing the line from the outside, between the fingers and back to the
                                      outside again. The two sides will be wrapped in opposite directions.
                                      5) Take your suspension rope, and remove one finger, threading the rope up
                                      where the finger had been.
                                      6) Remove the other finger, following the finger out with the end of the
                                      rope, so the rope comes up where one finger was and down where the other
                                      was.
                                      7) Pull the suspension rope straight and snug the loop down so there are a
                                      couple wraps on each side captured by the middle of the loop passing over
                                      them.

                                      You should be able to slide this prusik loop along the suspension line in
                                      either direction if you push the loops sideways. To grip, pull on the
                                      hammock end of the loop in one direction and one side of the suspension rope
                                      the other direction. It should look like the photo in "SmirkinMan's photos."
                                      Only difference was I could tie it differently because I had a carabiner I
                                      could clip into rather than needing to tie the loop to the hammock loops.
                                      But the result is the same.

                                      Once you have it all rigged, tie a figure eight in the lazy end of the
                                      suspension line as close to the prusik as you can to catch you in case the
                                      rope does slip thru the prusik. I'd do this if I was using a metal gizmo
                                      too. Belt and suspenders you know.

                                      To adjust, take the load off the prusik by pulling on the hammock and with
                                      your thumb push that little piece of the loop that's parallel to the
                                      suspension line away from the knot a little, and the knot will be able to be
                                      moved up or down the suspension rope.

                                      Once you see what it looks like you'll figure out an easier way to tie it. I
                                      just picked a way I thought I could explain.

                                      It could be that the loop, if made of strong enough material would weigh
                                      more than the aluminum gizmo. But you can leave it attached to the hammock
                                      and stuff the whole thing in the sack without poking holes in anything.

                                      If you are going to really use this approach, melt the ends of the prusik
                                      loop rope that are sticking out of the fisherman knots into big blobs so
                                      they can't pull thru the fisherman knot when it's under tension.

                                      Usual disclaimer applies - this all works well only if you choose your ropes
                                      correctly and tie the knots neatly, so tyer beware!

                                      Cheers,

                                      Carey

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Aug 24, 2006
                                          OK Tim,

                                          I put a series of photos into "SmirkinMan's photos" that go along with that
                                          last big description. See if that helps.

                                          You can tie the loop free of the hammock loops if you like and use a larks
                                          head to attach it to the hammock loops, or you can use a climbing carabiner
                                          if you have some and clip the loop to the hammock loops. With the biner you
                                          can tie the prusik in the normal way and clip it to the hammock loops. But
                                          that takes a biner and you can't leave it on the hammock.

                                          This conversation may have convinced me to try making a loop in my HH
                                          spectra line to take up the slack at the hammock using a double prusik loop.
                                          A longer loop could be used to tie two prusik's and let the slack dangle
                                          between them. It would be one heck of a drip loop!!

                                          It also has be thinking of using a munter hitch on a biner for a belay to
                                          take the load of the hang, and then tie a tautline hitch with the free end
                                          or otherwise lock the belay. That would be pretty easy to adjust too, but it
                                          takes hardware. Wouldn't he a hammock campers first choice, but if a climber
                                          was using a hammock, many things like that would be practical.

                                          Cheers,

                                          Carey

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 24, 2006
                                            The essential list of knots (and the ones I teach any newbies I have
                                            around me) is this.

                                            ***DISCLAIMER*** I am not a climber, I don't know every freakin'
                                            knot in the world, or the breaking strength, who originally
                                            used/named it or, sometimes, even the proper name, yer just gonna'
                                            hafta live with that. I'm just a simple outdoorsman. These are the
                                            knots taught to me by my Grandfather (mostly). This list is not
                                            exhaustive, nor is it meant to be. I can tie about 30 something
                                            knots from memory but these are the knots I find myself using and
                                            teaching, most frequently. For that reason I simply call
                                            them "Essential Outdoor Knots". Some of these knots are in my photo
                                            album "Knots by Rat" here on the list. All of them can be found on
                                            the web.***End of Disclaimer***

                                            End knots: End knots are tied in the end of a cut rope to keep it
                                            from fraying. Whipping, melting or back braiding is considered
                                            superior, but when time is of the essence, these knots will do the
                                            trick. They may also be used for 'stopper knots'. Used primarily to
                                            stop the bitter end of the rope from slipping past a primary knot
                                            (for safetys' sake), but also used to stop the rope at a certain
                                            point when using a pulley or for measurement.

                                            Figure Eight http://tinyurl.com/n7bq3
                                            Double Overhand Knot (Ashley Stopper) http://tinyurl.com/etgmq

                                            Loops, or knots that form loops, are very numerous. Even the old
                                            standby, the Bowline, has many (5?) different variations. Some are
                                            better tied into the end of the rope and some are better in the
                                            middle (span) of the rope. The bowline and figure eight have
                                            variations for both needs. I leave off the 'Figure Eight on a Bight'
                                            for a reason. This is one of my favorite knots, cool to tie and it
                                            looks good lying along the rope when it is tied. But after it is
                                            loaded it can be a real bear to untie. So it gets an honorable
                                            mention, but that's it.

                                            Bowline http://tinyurl.com/h27cs
                                            Bowline on a Bight http://tinyurl.com/opdrd
                                            Farmer's Knot (Loop, Hitch) http://tinyurl.com/l5y2e
                                            The Butterfly is also a good loop in a bight knot, but I find the
                                            Farmers' Knot is just as good and easier to teach. Both knots keep
                                            the span 90 degrees to the loop.

                                            Bends, for joining two ropes, or the ends of one to form a loop.
                                            Double Fisherman's Knot http://tinyurl.com/jnnzn
                                            Double Sheet Bend http://tinyurl.com/qldvb
                                            Carrick Bend http://tinyurl.com/pljne

                                            Adjustable knots, like the Drivers' Hitch and the Midshipmans' Hitch
                                            are worth their weight in gold.

                                            Drivers' Hitch http://tinyurl.com/kj3na This hitch has a bazillion
                                            names, but this is the ONLY way to tie it. Unless you LIKE cuting
                                            your ropes! :)
                                            Midshipman's Hitch http://tinyurl.com/oz43l Also called the Rolling
                                            Hitch, this is the hitch that the Taut Line Hitch is based on (or
                                            visa versa). However, this one is just as easy to tie and WIL NOT
                                            slip, even on 550 cord!
                                            Prusik http://tinyurl.com/r6loo Technicaly it is a slide and grip
                                            knot but, it fits.

                                            Other notable knots, exploding hitches. I use the
                                            Mooring Hitch, Exploding Clove Hitch and the Highwayman all the
                                            time. Very quick and easy to tie and untie. While I have used the
                                            Exploding Clove Hitch to suspend my hammock, I don't recommend it.
                                            These knots are best used in non-critical places, like hanging gear
                                            or stuff sacks from trees or support ropes.

                                            Exploding Hitch Website, The Exploding Clove Hitch is No. 1 down the
                                            page. And, I think, his Figure Eight biting a bight is really a
                                            Mooring Hitch.
                                            Mooring Hitch http://tinyurl.com/ed6rf
                                            Highwayman's Hitch http://tinyurl.com/gk5yy

                                            Slackers. Rope too long? Don't cut it, use these handy hitches to
                                            take up that slack.
                                            Sheepshank http://tinyurl.com/n3ne7
                                            Rope Chain http://tinyurl.com/kouhg

                                            I once had a hose clamp fail on my old Chevy Blazer (Yes, the full
                                            size model). The clamp just broke, I had no idea where it went. I
                                            didn't have another one either and was about 60 miles from anyplace,
                                            much less someplace with a hose clamp. So, I used a pice of 550 cord
                                            and tied a Constrictor Hitch in place of the hose clamp. It worked
                                            so well I used it for three days after I got a hose clamp just to
                                            see how long it would last. It lasted three days :) That's my crazy
                                            knot story, and I'm stickin' to it!

                                            Rat

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Aug 25, 2006
                                              excelent resorce rat. thanks. i`ll keep that post in my rope folder
                                              for referance.
                                              i really need to learn, practice, & memorize more knots. ...tim
                                            • Stuhr, Tim
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Aug 25, 2006
                                                Great pictures and ideas!

                                                Tim Stuhr

                                                ________________________________

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Aug 25, 2006
                                                  Thanks very much, Rat. I have been dressing my tautline hitch wrong
                                                  allllll these years...

                                                  Bill in Houston

                                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@...> wrote:

                                                  > The essential list of knots (and the ones I teach any newbies I have
                                                  > around me) is this.
                                                • Carey Parks
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Aug 25, 2006
                                                    Those are great knots and stories Rat. Right on! When it comes to knots -
                                                    follow the Rat. ;->

                                                    The constictor is a great knot. I needed to wash a rope once, and didn't
                                                    have a bag to put it in so it wouldn't strangle the washing machine. I tied
                                                    it into a T-shirt with a constrictor knot on the top and bottom of the shirt
                                                    and threw it into the wash. Came out still tied. Might have had a problem if
                                                    the rope for the knots was too slipery though.

                                                    Cheers,

                                                    Carey

                                                    <zippydooda@...> wrote:

                                                    > Figure 8
                                                    > Figure 8 loop
                                                    > Figure 8 loop on a bight
                                                    > Tautline hitch (plus the knowledge that you can keep adding turns
                                                    > until you get it to hold)
                                                    > Double sheet bend
                                                    > Butterfly loop (always looked cool but I haven't used it)
                                                    > Prusik (sp?)
                                                    > Knowing how to tie a knot in a "slipped" manner so you can easily
                                                    > untie it
                                                    >
                                                    > That about does it for me.
                                                    >
                                                    > Bill in Houston
                                                    >
                                                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "lakewood_matt"
                                                    > <lakewood_matt@> wrote:
                                                    > >Lots of info on the net about knots but does
                                                    > > anyone have any other knots that they frequently used in
                                                    hammocking?

                                                  • Wynne Eden
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Aug 25, 2006
                                                      It wasn't the cost I thought was a good reason to make them, it was
                                                      those shark teeth that I'm afraid will eat the sheath on the rope.

                                                      You could buy them and grind the teeth off, I guess.

                                                      Wynne

                                                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...>

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Aug 25, 2006
                                                        yep, i wonder if the teeth might damage the rope too. ya know, after a rope has made several wraps around something, it usualy don`t take much to hold it. ...tim

                                                        Wynne Eden <stickbow@...> wrote: It wasn't the cost I thought was a good reason to make them, it was