Clark North American vs Ultralight

  • Sean Collier
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 22, 2006
      Hi All,

      I've been reading as much as I can in prep for purchasing a hammock,
      and have narrowed down my choices to one of the Clarks, either the
      North American or the Ultralight. But I can't decide between those two.

      Is it worth carrying the additional half kilo for the extra pockets
      underneath and the weathershield?

      Thanks in advance!
      Sean.
    • Curteis La Boy
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 26, 2006
        In April I bought the Clark Ultralight with the XL rainfly but did not have the chance to try it until this week. The Clark's material seems to be stronger than my HH.
        I can sleep better if the foot end of the hammock is slightly lower than the head end and I definitely sleep better on my Clark than on my HH. I slept in a mosquito infected area two nights ago and the mosquitoes could not bite me through the hammock material as others complain with other hammock brands. The rainfly is not XL as the Clark people said it was(unless they made a mistake with mine). The rainfly has a head and a foot end so you better keep it attached to the hammock or you will have a hard time putting them together when you are setting the hammock up for the night. The only way to partially keeping the mosquito net away from your face is by keeping it attached to the rainfly so you are forced to use their rainfly. I followed and modified the spreader bar suggested by one of the Clark hammock users and now I don't need to depend on the Clark's rainfly. I am going back to my old rainfly, it is larger than the Clark's and I don't have to worry about which is
        the head or the foot end. What I am saying is that you will not go wrong by buying a Clark Ultralight. For me the two pockets were more than sufficient. I added a small pocket inside where I keep my electronic Bible, my glasses and my watch. I keep my head land hanging on my neck so I don't have to hunt for it when I need it in a hurry.

        God bless,

        Corsican

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 26, 2006
            Hi Tim,

            Glad you asked. I have been section hiking the AT for 16 years and at first it was a pain for me to carry a big Bible, so I bought a small one but I was having a hard time reading the small print. In 1998 I was at a Christian bookstore in Asheville, NC and found the answer to my prayer-the Franklin Electronic Bible. When I thru-hiked the AT in 99 my electronic Bible was my faithful companion and reading it was the source of joy and security, especially in the nights I was alone and a little afraid. In 98 there were two sizes and two versions-The King James and the New International. I bought the smaller of the two and I bought the NIV because it is easier to read than the KJV. It still goes with me on my hikes. You can find them at Christian book stores and probably on the Internet. I know I have given you a longer answer than you expected but it because I am in love with my little bible. I am even ready to help you buying one if you don't have all the money. In 1998 the
            cost was around $70.00, maybe they are cheaper now.

            God bless,

            Corsican

          • Curteis La Boy
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 26, 2006
              Tim,

              I looked on the e-bay and found several Franklin Bibles on sale, as little as $39.00. Mine is the Franklin NIV 440.

              God bless,

              Corsican

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 26, 2006
                corsican... thank you very much for the information. and also for the offer to help w/ the purchase, but i don`t want to take advantage of your kindness. i`m sure it will work out sooner or later to get one.
                i have a realy small KJV, but it`s a strain on the eyes. latley, i just cut the needed pages from that sunday`s lesson book & scotch tape them together.
                when i am able to get an electronic bible, i`ll get the NIV too. that`s what i normaly use.
                that will be great... to have the whole bible in one small package!
                thanks... tim

                Curteis La Boy <curteisj@...> wrote:
                Tim,

                I looked on the e-bay and found several Franklin Bibles on sale, as little as $39.00. Mine is the Franklin NIV 440.

                God bless,

                Corsican

              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 26, 2006
                  I looked on the e-bay and found several Franklin Bibles on sale, as little
                  as $39.00. Mine is the Franklin NIV 440.

                  God bless,

                  Corsican

                  If you have a palm computer of any sort you can download the KJV from LDS
                  (Mormon) sites for free. Of course they are also available for free from
                  the Guttenberg sites.

                  Depending on your hardware and software it is even searchable and easy to
                  use.
                  (I even use mine while at church).

                  Hit me off line and I can steer you to the sources.

                  Ralph

                • Keith
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 26, 2006
                    Definitely risking a flame-up here, but what exactly do bibles have to
                    do with hammocks?

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 26, 2006
                      i like to read mine in the hammock. and i, like a lot of others here, am a backpacker that would like to keep lowering my pack weight.
                      sometimes people drift a little onto subjects that they accociate w/ thier hammocking... like kayaking, hunting, or whatever & most people tolerate it pretty well. it`s not a problem. but of course i guess all that other talk`s not going to rub people the wrong way nearly as much as talking about the easyest way to carry a bible.
                      i could say a lot more, but i`ll let it go at that. ...tim

                      Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:
                      Definitely risking a flame-up here, but what exactly do bibles have to
                      do with hammocks?

                      > I looked on the e-bay and found several Franklin Bibles on sale, as
                      little
                      > as $39.00. Mine is the Franklin NIV 440.
                      >
                      > God bless,
                      >
                      > Corsican
                      >

                      > If you have a palm computer of any sort you can download the KJV
                      from LDS
                      > (Mormon) sites for free. Of course they are also available for free
                      from
                      > the Guttenberg sites.
                      >
                      > Depending on your hardware and software it is even searchable and
                      easy to
                      > use.
                      > (I even use mine while at church).
                      >
                      > Hit me off line and I can steer you to the sources.
                      >
                      > Ralph

                    • Ralph Oborn
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 26, 2006
                        On 8/26/06, Keith <pulse_0ptional@...> wrote:

                        > Definitely risking a flame-up here, but what exactly do bibles have to
                        > do with hammocks?

                        No flame, this fits in with the hog huntin'

                        Try this.....
                        As I was was reclining in my hammock contemplating the wonders of the
                        universe. As I was suspended between heaven and earth in my hammock, I felt
                        the need for scriptural inspiration so I broke out my Bible and read Isaiah
                        chapter 35

                        1 The wilderness and the solitary place shall be glad for them; and the
                        desert shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose.

                        3 Strengthen ye the weak hands, and confirm the feeble knees.

                        5 Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf
                        shall be unstopped.

                        :]

                        Ralph Oborn

                      • Coy
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 28, 2006
                          I always liked,

                          Pro 21:9 It is better to dwell in a hammock; then with a brawling
                          woman in a wide house (paraphrased just a mite).

                          Coy Boy