embarassing problem with henessy hammock

  • Chuck Henderson
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 22, 2006
      nylon shell on sleeping bag+ nylon hammock = difficulty getting into
      sleeping bag/into hammock.

      so there I was with my scout troop showing off my latest greatest
      purchase from e-bay in the middle of Algonquin Park. I figured I would
      get into sleeping bag , stand in the opening and sit.....sad to report
      not much success, so the next night I put the sleeping bag into the
      hammock then climbed in..... worse results lots of off colour words,
      mutter mutter mutter cuss then I heard the troop giggling at me, I
      peeked out and there were at least 8 pairs of eyes gazing at me from
      various tents .

      so how the hell do you get into this thing?
    • Carey Parks
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 22, 2006
        Unzip the sleeping bag open, leaving a foot or two at the bottom zipped.
        Toss it WAY up into the hammock. Toss your partially inflated Thermarest 3/4
        length pad into the hammock, you can push the bag farther up with this if
        needed. Climb in and lie back on the pad. Pull the sleeping bag over you
        like a quilt, but stick your feet into the bottom that's still zipped a
        little. If you get chilly on the sides, tuck some bag in there.

        Oh, in the morning, did you giggle at the ground dewllers?

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 22, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Henderson"
          <chu62003@...> wrote:

          > so how the hell do you get into this thing?

          Just lay it over you like a quilt. You have a pad or underquilt
          underneath you?

          Jeff
        • Shane Steinkamp
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 22, 2006
            > so how the hell do you get into this thing?

            The secret is...Practice.

            I usually just use my bag as a quilt, and don't get into it at all. If I do
            want to get into it, I get into the hammock, lay the bag over me, tuck one
            side under my body, and then roll over. I may have to wiggle once or twice,
            but it's quite easy once you get the knack.

            Shane
          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 22, 2006
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@...>
              wrote:

              > If I do
              > want to get into it, I get into the hammock, lay the bag over me,
              tuck one
              > side under my body, and then roll over. I may have to wiggle once
              or twice,
              > but it's quite easy once you get the knack.

              That's my technique, too. Just roll over a little farther than you
              think you need to so that the zipper is free enough to zip. Then you
              can wiggle it into place if you need to.

              But a quilt, or using the bag as a quilt, is much easier and just as
              warm for most bag styles.

              Jeff
            • Jay Willis
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 22, 2006
                On Aug 22, 2006, at 12:26 PM, Chuck Henderson wrote:

                > so how the hell do you get into this thing?

                The few times when I wanted to be IN the bag, rather than using it as
                a quilt, I would stand in the hammock entry slit, step into the
                footend of the bag, bring it up and over my head so that I am fully
                inside the bag (but not yet zipped), then sit in the hammock, lie
                down, and bring my feet in. This way I don't have to struggle to get
                the bag situated just right when I'm in the hammock.
              • Susan Davis
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 22, 2006
                  > so how the hell do you get into this thing?

                  After I've hung the hammock and deployed the bear bag, I'll toss my
                  pad, a water bottle, and my dry clothing bag into the hammock, sit
                  down in the entrance, remove my boots, and then get into the hammock
                  and adjust myself and the position of the pad. Then I'll remove the
                  clothing that I've been wearing and hang it from the clothesline,
                  changing into any dry camp clothes that I plan to wear to bed as I go.
                  I keep my sleeping bag stuff sack inside my clothing bag (it's large
                  and made of silnylon), so next I extract that and shake the sleeping
                  bag out. I've generally been hiking for a while by this point, so I
                  tend to need a few minutes to cool down before I feel cool enough to
                  get into the bag, but the bag pulls on like a pair of slacks, and then
                  I can settle down to rest.

                  In cooler weather, I use a FF Rock Wren, which has zippered arm holes
                  and a drawstring opening at the bottom, so it goes on like an article
                  of clothing and is easy to board and exit the hammock while wearing.

                  For me, the hard part isn't getting into the sleeping bag -- it's
                  adjusting the pad under me so that I'm actually on the thing and it's
                  covering my body core. That takes a little practice.

                  -- Raccoon

                  --
                  Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
                • AndrĂ© Corterier
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 22, 2006
                    I put in my pad and lay out the sleeping bag, 3/4 unzipped, in the
                    position in which I plan to lie (at first). Then, standing in the
                    opening with my back to it, I sit back on the pad and the open bag so
                    that I can lie down, stuff my feet into the foot section of the bag and
                    zip up. Takes a bit of practice.
                    Speaking of which - have you mentioned to your boyscouts (and possibly
                    yourself) that it's wise to try out new equipment at home before taking
                    it out into the woods, much less showing it off to others?
                    ;-)

                    André

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Henderson" <chu62003@...>
                    wrote:
                    <snip>
                    > so how the hell do you get into this thing?

                  • Ralph Oborn
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 23, 2006
                      On 8/22/06, Chuck Henderson <chu62003@...> wrote:

                      > nylon shell on sleeping bag+ nylon hammock = difficulty getting into
                      > sleeping bag/into hammock.
                      >
                      > so there I was with my scout troop showing off my latest greatest
                      > purchase from e-bay in the middle of Algonquin Park. I figured I would
                      > get into sleeping bag , stand in the opening and sit.....sad to report
                      > not much success, so the next night I put the sleeping bag into the
                      > hammock then climbed in..... worse results lots of off colour words,
                      > mutter mutter mutter cuss then I heard the troop giggling at me, I
                      > peeked out and there were at least 8 pairs of eyes gazing at me from
                      > various tents .
                      >

                      > so how the hell do you get into this thing?

                      Does the off colour words help?
                      So that's what I'm doing wrong.

                      Ralph
                      PS my scouts all want one now so we are making $5 Risk test hammocks for
                      them.