Help in staying warm

  • natesdenn71
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 19, 2006
      Hi folks! I have been trying the pad and quilt (homemade) combo for
      staying warm in my hammock. I am getting a little tired of the pad
      because I feel SO much more comfortable (but not warm)with out it. So
      I am starting to explore other options that would seldom use a pad
      for back insulation.

      I have a slumberjack bag rated to 20F which so happens to have a
      double zipper on the main zipper. I havent field tested this but i
      have a feeling that it would work well. Setting it up in my home
      seemed to work well. The various down coccoons I have seen on the web
      look really cool but I really dont want to spend that much. Outdoor
      Educators dont make much!! :-) Using my old sleeping bag is kinda
      where I am going with that. Any thoughts on this or a way to make a
      really inexpensive coccoon? ($100 or less?)

      I have been looking at making a garlington insulator but cant seem to
      understand the concept of attaching it. I use a hammock bliss
      mosquito bliss hammock so all the references to Hennessy and Speer
      hammocks are all but Greek to me. I have tried to use my super big
      backpackers poncho and a walmart tarp as tests before I go buy fabric
      for the shell. The problem I am having is attaching the shell. Are
      there any tricks to attaching the shell so one does not sit on the
      tarp before getting to the hammock?

      I am sure this is a common question on this forum so I appreciate any
      comments or help with this. Thanks!

      -Nate
    • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 19, 2006
        > Hi folks! I have been trying the pad and quilt (homemade) combo for
        > staying warm in my hammock. I am getting a little tired of the pad
        > because I feel SO much more comfortable (but not warm)with out it.

        I always carry some sort of pad. This is the one item that I
        carry "just in case". It gives me insulation options and in case I
        were do to something stupid to cause my hammock to rip it gives me the
        option to sleep on the ground with the hammock as a makeshift bivy.
        Because I always carry it, a pad is the lightest bottom insulation
        that works for me. I also carry a SPE from Speer Hammocks with wing
        inserts during cooler weather. I know you said you wanted to get away
        from a pad but I just thought I'd share my method.

        >Using my old sleeping bag is kinda
        > where I am going with that. Any thoughts on this or a way to make a
        > really inexpensive coccoon? ($100 or less?)

        I've never tried this but Coy might be able to make some suggestions.
        I know he has modified some bags and I believe Rat has also.

        > I have been looking at making a garlington insulator but cant seem to
        > understand the concept of attaching it. I use a hammock bliss
        > mosquito bliss hammock so all the references to Hennessy and Speer
        > hammocks are all but Greek to me. I have tried to use my super big
        > backpackers poncho and a walmart tarp as tests before I go buy fabric
        > for the shell. The problem I am having is attaching the shell. Are
        > there any tricks to attaching the shell so one does not sit on the
        > tarp before getting to the hammock?

        I don't know if you can adjust the shell from inside your netting.If
        not, maybe you could use a drawstring gathering on the ends of you
        undershell and attach it to the support lines with a short piece of
        shock cord to keep it from being too tight. Good luck.

        Brian
        T-BACK
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 19, 2006
          Hi Nate

          I'm not familiar with the Hammock Bliss Mosquito hammock. If the
          bug netting stays attached to one side and comes loose on the other
          (so you can git in and refastyen it) then you migh get your sleeping
          bag to work as a cacoon. You will forgo putting the mosquito
          netting back in place though. It will just have to be tucked away
          inside the sleeping bag with you (probably on the outside (still
          inside the bag) hanging under you but inside the lower section of
          the bag). With your 2-way zipper you would open the foot end up big
          enough to pull the hammock through it and also allow for some of the
          hammock to spread out where it will pass through the bag. it will
          not be centered but more in the corner with your bag. Anyways, you
          can see what I mean by looking at some of my photos from the cohutta
          wilderness trip. look on the second page for the alblum with that
          title. look for the photos that say Daniel Alseep and Cody asleep.
          It works ol if the bugs are not bad. Ed's peapod seems like it
          would work better if bugs were really a problem. You would just
          need a small piece of netting to go over the breathing hole.

          http://community.webshots.com/user/coyboy100

          not sure if this is what you mean by cacoon but i think it is. if
          not ask and someone can probably answer your question. And like
          Brian said, a pad is handy to have along to sit on, lay on or heavan
          forbid, sleep on the ground in emergancy situations. BTW, welcome
          to the group.

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "natesdenn71"
          <natesdenn71@...> wrote:

          > Hi folks! I have been trying the pad and quilt (homemade) combo
          for
          > staying warm in my hammock. I am getting a little tired of the pad
          > because I feel SO much more comfortable (but not warm)with out
          it. So
          > I am starting to explore other options that would seldom use a pad
          > for back insulation.
          >
          > I have a slumberjack bag rated to 20F which so happens to have a
          > double zipper on the main zipper. I havent field tested this but i
          > have a feeling that it would work well. Setting it up in my home
          > seemed to work well. The various down coccoons I have seen on the
          web
          > look really cool but I really dont want to spend that much.
          Outdoor
          > Educators dont make much!! :-) Using my old sleeping bag is kinda
          > where I am going with that. Any thoughts on this or a way to make
          > really inexpensive coccoon? ($100 or less?)
          >
          > I have been looking at making a garlington insulator but cant seem
          > understand the concept of attaching it. I use a hammock bliss
          > mosquito bliss hammock so all the references to Hennessy and Speer
          > hammocks are all but Greek to me. I have tried to use my super big
          > backpackers poncho and a walmart tarp as tests before I go buy
          fabric
          > for the shell. The problem I am having is attaching the shell.
          Are
          > there any tricks to attaching the shell so one does not sit on the
          > tarp before getting to the hammock?
          >
          > I am sure this is a common question on this forum so I appreciate
          any
          > comments or help with this. Thanks!
          >
          > -Nate

        • Robert Woods

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 23, 2006
              Thanks everyone for your advice. I was able to rig a fleece sleeping
              bag as a light underquilt and I rigged a walmart type tarp as a sort
              of shell for underneath. I noticed a difference immediately. This
              should work for slightly chilly evenings. I also rigged my mummy bag
              in a similiar fasion with the shell. That worked well also. I just
              need to be patient and wait for the really cold weather to test that
              idea. Thanks a lot to Coy. I will definately check out the SJ bags
              you told me about.