Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: blowing rain

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 15, 2006
      Rat <hogn8r2004@...> wrote: Seems to me that whipping it to the supports over wet DWR coating
      would be glueing it in place. I would rather have it removable
      personally.
      ### actualy that would be whipping on-top of seam sealer... so yep, it would be gluing it on permanantly to that rope. and that`s one of the things i`ve debated w/ myself on. i guess i`m thinking of having just enough rope inside the sock to form a larks head to grip the hammock. that way, the sock/support rope unit could be removed from the hammock if wanted.
      but mabey it dosen`t need to be sealed to the support rope. mabey just whipping it to the rope then using a pice of cotton cloth or string near the end would be good enough.

      Is the slit going to open all the way so you can have like
      a mini-tarp?
      ### the slit would open up on top, all the way to just below the feet for full venting on top. there would be a cord on each side of the sock (at the large end) that would connect at the head end and there fore keep the sock up against the hammock, even when it was opened up on top. then the extra (that would be on top when closed up) would hang on the sides.

      Is the primary use for rain or wet, or both? Do we take
      this instead of our tarps?
      ###this set-up would be used w/ the tarp in rain. it would address the occasional problem of rain blowing in & wetting the ends or sides & bottom of the hammock as well as the problem people have had at times w/ water running down the straps or ropes to the hammock in really heavy rain. of course it would also do the same things as the scoks used by others, like adding a few degrees of warmth on a cold night... wind protection. but the velcro slit on top would alow you to keep it in place for rain protection & open it up to vent if it`s to warm.

      I really like the sock with the draw string
      colsure at one end, easy and effective. Or is this kinda what you are
      talking about? I guess, I really don't understand:(

      Rat
      .
      ### i hope this helps. sometimes i confuse myself. ...tim

      .