Re: [Hammock Camping] 1.1oz vs. 1.9oz

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 15, 2006
      Scott Macri wrote:
      > Does 1.9oz ripstop nylon block wind any better than 1.1oz. ripstop nylon; if
      > so, how much more effective is it? Also, is hail a concern for 1.1oz? We
      > had some pretty heavy hail last week; chunks the size of nickles and dimes.
      > I am not sure if much would be great against hail that size though.
      >
      > I am hoping to make a speer rain fly, and a KA underquilt, but not sure if I
      > should use 1.1oz, or 1.9oz.. Thanks.

      Scott,

      1.1 0z ripstop is not strong enough for me as a 180 lb hammock camper in
      a single layer. I tore through one such hammock. It is great used as a
      double layer. I agree with Ed that 1.9 oz ripstop makes a dandy single
      layer hammock.

      The only hammock I have ever made that wind blew through to any extent
      was one made of double knit polyester. Great hammock, except for the
      wind angle. It was intended as a winter hammock. Now for summer, it
      might be just the cat's meow, though I don't know how it would be for
      those little sketers.

      Hail would never hit my hammock... It might hit my tarp which is 1.3 oz
      silnylon. Under trees, I would not expect the hail to make much of a
      problem for the silnylon. I have not been in a hail storm in about 200
      nights camping in hammocks, so I can't make a specific statement on the
      strength vs hail of different diameters.