supershelter vs. underquilt

  • Scott Macri
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 15, 2006
      I just got back from a trip in the mountains for a few days. It got to
      about 50's each night. I think one night it was even in the 40ies.

      The trip was great and each night we had a herd of dear around our hammocks
      at each spot we camped. On one of the mornings, during breakfast, a deer
      walked and stood about four feet from me and began grazing. She stuck
      around for about 1/2 hr and ate breakfast with us. LOL This was a great
      experience.

      I was using an HH with a supershelter and a JRB Nest. By the end of this
      trip I started having doubts about my supershelter. I have only used it a
      few other times.

      The major issue I have with the supershelter is that it is a pain in the
      neck to setup. Especially in the dark. Also, when I was taking the under
      pad out of the stuff sack I accidentally ripped a large chunk off the pad.

      I am starting to think making a KAQ (kickassquilt) might be a better
      option. Seems to me the quilt would be warmer too. Though, it is a bit
      bulkier. The supershelter was pretty warm, but was difficult to adjust the
      pad after entering the hammock. The other issue I had with the supershelter
      is that the pad was wet by morning every morning. I don't think this would
      be an issue with the underquilt.

      Does anyone have experience with both of these items? If so, do you have
      any comments? Thanks.

      --
      Scott A. Macri
      Trail Name: Mowgli

    • Brian Lewis
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 15, 2006
        Scott wrote:

        "I was using an HH with a supershelter and a JRB Nest. By the end of
        this trip I started having doubts about my supershelter. I have only
        used it a few other times.
        The major issue I have with the supershelter is that it is a pain in
        the neck to setup. Especially in the dark. Also, when I was taking
        the under pad out of the stuff sack I accidentally ripped a large
        chunk off the pad."

        Interesting --- you're using a supershelter AND a JRB Nest? At first
        glance, at least, this seems redundant. I assume you're putting the
        nest around the outside of the supershelter ... or are you managing to
        fit the supershelter around the nest?! I have no experience with the
        nest, but I see that it doesn't really go all the way to the ends of
        the hammock as the supershelter (undercover) does.

        In terms of setting up the supershelter and inserting/removing the
        underpad, I'm very satisfied leaving it all together (including
        underpad) and just stuffing the whole thing in a compression sack.
        Others put it just at the bottom of their packs and let their other
        gear compress it just as much as needed.

        "I am starting to think making a KAQ (kickassquilt) might be a better
        option. Seems to me the quilt would be warmer too. Though, it is a
        bit bulkier. The supershelter was pretty warm, but was difficult to
        adjust the pad after entering the hammock. The other issue I had with
        the supershelter is that the pad was wet by morning every morning. I
        don't think this would be an issue with the underquilt."

        Interesting. I've never seen my open celled foam underpad wet, and
        I've slept too-warm in this setup (though per other posts, it doesn't
        alone work for me below (guessing) the mid-to-low 40's). I don't have
        a problem adjusting the pad; it does sometimes stick to the velcro of
        the hammock entrance, but after I'm in it doesn't seem to be a problem
        to pull the underpad over before sealing the velcro.

        Again with no personal experience with underquilts, it seems that a
        potential issue is getting air gaps, particularly in wind. A few
        months from now (once colder weather hits), I think my first thought
        might be what Jeff's excellent site refers to as Garlington's "Bag O'
        Feathers" --- to put between hammock and HH undercover. Well,
        actually my first thought will be to just buy some open-celled-foam
        from a nearby fabric store to see if adding a little more of that
        might be sufficient. I'm not looking for a 4-season solution, but I
        do want to be confident going into reasonably high mountains in
        3-seasons, hence I'd like to know I can sleep comfortably down to 30
        degrees or so. Without carrying too much more weight!

        Brian
      • Scott Macri
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 15, 2006
          " Interesting --- you're using a supershelter AND a JRB Nest? At first
          glance, at least, this seems redundant. I assume you're putting the
          nest around the outside of the supershelter ... or are you managing to
          fit the supershelter around the nest?! I have no experience with the
          nest, but I see that it doesn't really go all the way to the ends of
          the hammock as the supershelter (undercover) does. "

          I am using the nest as an over quilt.

        • Rat
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 15, 2006
            Well ther's your poroblem right there. Jam that Nest into the
            Supershelter and use the OCF as an over quilt, problem solved!!!

            sorry, I got nothin'...

            Rat

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 15, 2006
              LOL

              I think making a KickAssQuilt will be much more fun.

              I have never tried an underquilt yet.

              --

              On 8/15/06, Rat <hogn8r2004@...> wrote:

              > Well ther's your poroblem right there. Jam that Nest into the
              > Supershelter and use the OCF as an over quilt, problem solved!!!
              >
              > sorry, I got nothin'...
              >
              > Rat

            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 15, 2006
                wrote:

                > LOL
                >
                > I think making a KickAssQuilt will be much more fun.

                Would be more fun, but it would be easier to put the Nest on bottom
                and make a standard top quilt Jardine-style. I do like Patrick's
                design, though.

                Jeff
              • Keith
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 15, 2006
                  For those of you who don't post on WhiteBlaze, Patrick is apparently
                  having Polarguard supply problems at the moment. I don't know how
                  much of an issue it'll turn out to be, but I think he's looking for
                  alternate suppliers if anyone has suggestions....

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > LOL
                  > >
                  > > I think making a KickAssQuilt will be much more fun.
                  >
                  > Would be more fun, but it would be easier to put the Nest on bottom
                  > and make a standard top quilt Jardine-style. I do like Patrick's
                  > design, though.
                  >
                  > Jeff

                • Scott Macri
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 15, 2006
                    Hey, that is a great idea. I guess I was just all excited about the cool
                    camo colors. This might save a few bucks too. Seems like a better project
                    for a beginner. Which kit do you recommend? Should I go for the deluxe? I
                    guess my question is; is the deluxe worth the extra weight? Also, I wonder,
                    do you think the 0.9" 3D would be better, or worse than 0.75" due to the
                    bulk?

                    I guess I will have to make a cool camo speer fly so I can go as stealth as
                    possible. I am always paranoid when I leave camp to go on side hikes; I
                    fear someone will find my stuff and possible nab it. They would likely
                    leave me for dead. LOL

                    Hmmm, I think I had too much wine. I better go to bed; I have to get up
                    early for work. LOL

                    --

                    On 8/15/06, Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                    > "Scott Macri" <hacktorious@...>
                    >
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > LOL
                    > >
                    > > I think making a KickAssQuilt will be much more fun.
                    >
                    > Would be more fun, but it would be easier to put the Nest on bottom
                    > and make a standard top quilt Jardine-style. I do like Patrick's
                    > design, though.
                    >
                    > Jeff

                  • Jeff
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 16, 2006
                      wrote:

                      > Hey, that is a great idea. I guess I was just all excited about the
                      cool
                      > camo colors. This might save a few bucks too. Seems like a better
                      project
                      > for a beginner. Which kit do you recommend?...

                      You could still make a camo top quilt...

                      I haven't used Jardine's kits, but several folks here have - maybe
                      they can chime in with a recommendation. I don't think I've heard of
                      anyone who's been unhappy with his kits, though...instructions and
                      temp ratings seem to be spot on.

                      For mine, I just bought the materials from thru-hiker.com to make the
                      kids summer quilts.

                      Jeff
                    • Scott Macri
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 16, 2006
                        I decided to go with the deluxe.

                        I am a little concerned about using the Nest as an underquilt because it is
                        down and I worry it might get wet. Hopefully it won't be a concern. For
                        this reason I have decided to make a Speer tarp to go over my hammock. I
                        hope that will be enough to cover the quilt in a bad rain storm.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 16, 2006
                          scott... sorry, i was going to reply to your earlyer post but i got distracted & forgot.
                          i made the delux (w/gorget) & the alpine upgrade (.9") and i really like it, but i only use it in colder weather.
                          i couldn`t say for sure how much the gorget helps, but it does drape over me well.
                          because of my beginer sewing skills i gathered up more than i ment to on the edges and i wouldn`t mind if it was a few inches wider. so make note of what the instructions suggest about not trying to save an oz or two by making it to narrow.
                          somewhwere i read that a common statement from 1st time quilt makers was that they wish they hadn`t made it quite so narrow. those few extra inches will make it easyer to keep tucked in beside you while you snoze away warmly on a cold winters night. it may vary w/ circumstances (what i`m wearing, what i`ve ate, how dry i am, wind, etc) but it has kept me warm in the low 20s with the help of an under quilt to insulate from below.
                          it is no dought a little bulker than a down quilt, but mabey not too much.
                          ...tim

                          .