Amy: trail runner shoe question (please)

  • Brian Lewis
    Message 1 of 35 , Aug 14 2:43 PM
      Apologies for an off-hammock-camping topic, but following up on a
      discussion about trail runners a couple weeks ago ...

      Amy, you had mentioned how well you liked your Salomon XA Comp 2
      Trail-Running Shoes, and I said that I had just bought a pair of these
      and planned to do 150 miles on the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) with no
      more than 3 days of walking around local streets as break-in.

      This plan worked out fine. I got some minor blistering where my
      little toes rubbed against the next-to-little toes on both feet, but I
      seem to get that in hiking boots too after hiking for a few days.
      They're not what I would call truly waterproof, but when they do get
      wet they dry out a lot better than any boot I've ever owned. I walked
      across some brief snow and glacier fields in 'em with no problems,
      across awkward rock scree, etc. Worked great, and very nice to be
      able to take them off and put them back on so quickly.

      One issue I'm curious about, Amy --- do you have any wear spots on
      yours, and how many miles do you reckon you might have walked in these
      in total so far (estimate)?

      Right about where the toe area bends on the outsides, about at
      (~above) the base of the little toes, there's now a hole in the fabric
      in exactly the same place on both my shoes. I didn't notice these
      holes forming, just noticed them now when I finally got round to
      cleaning the shoes for my next trip. The hole is just above the
      rubber toe-cap portion, about 1/8" wide and 3/8" long.

      It strikes me that if this formed in exactly the same place on both
      shoes after just 150 miles of walking, this could be a flaw in the
      design or materials or something; I don't walk particularly funny that
      I know of or anything like that.

      Anyway, curious if this happened to you. I'll likely take these back
      to REI soon (they're definitely not waterproof now, and I think these
      holes will extend with further wear). I want to know whether it makes
      sense to replace these with the same model or if I should maybe look
      to some other manufacturer for something more durable ... lightweight
      shouldn't mean you have to replace 'em every 150 miles!

      Thanks for any feedback you have here ---

      Brian

      P.S. At another REI store right after the trip I noticed a similar
      (Solomon) model that's billed as a "water shoe". It looks like quite
      the same thing, but with a sturdy mesh instead of fabric. So
      certainly not "waterproof", but would dry very quickly and let the
      feet breathe (and hopefully stay dry). Also about another 4 ounces
      lighter per foot ...

      I met a 67-year old guy on the trip who hikes in sandals with
      (normally) no socks, he doesn't bring along shoes at all (including
      going over the same glacier section I did). Tempting ...
      The guy also has a Hennesy Hammock, btw, the first person I randomly
      met on a trail with one. He had got a friend with sewing skills to
      put a zipper in the bug netting, as I've seen talk of here (also
      tempting).
    • Brian Lewis