Little Help From The HH Pros!

  • Randal
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 11 1:04 PM
      Just joined as I am researching the HH products in an effort to rise
      above ground sleeping. Some background – avid backpacker from AZ,
      have PK'ed most of the Apostle Islands in WI, most of AZ, explored
      the Boundary Waters in MN and the wild in So PA. Consider myself a
      lightweight – mid-weight hiker. With this said would like some
      opinions on what HH product would work for me as planning to go to
      Isle Royle next May.

      Physical Stats
      Height 6'1"
      Weight 220
      Side Sleeper

      Current sleep system BA 15% Encampment long size with aircore matt –
      yes I have many other bags but use this one for my more serious
      outings.

      Currently looking at these HH products

      Explorer Untralight Asym 2.7 Lbs
      Explorer Deluxe Asym 3.4 Lbs

      Questions – due the BA products utilization of the aircore matt for
      insulation can this be used in the HH products? Came up with the idea
      of cutting an emergency blanket to fit between the bottom aircore
      matt and the sleeve (or pocket) to reflect the heat through the matt
      upwards. Also personally love this system as I never slip and slide
      off the matt and the bag volume gives me enough room to turn over
      easly.

      With the great offer on the HH Scout ($79 with 2 flys) considering
      purchasing one for wife/kids just to review the product – or should I
      choose another?

      Any help and opinions are greatly appreciated

      Thanks

      Randal
    • Martin Mendelson, N8MG
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 11 2:36 PM
        Being from Michigan and while I dwell in the lower peninsula, I have been to
        Isle Royale and can tell you that you will absolutely enjoy the wilderness
        there. While there you might consider also doing the Porcupine mountains in
        the Upper peninsula. There's about 70 miles of trails in the Porcupines.

        Back to Isle Royale, you may want to check the average temps for that time
        of year before going into it and be prepared to deal with cooler rather than
        warmer temps especially at night. Here is a link to the nearest NWS Office
        to do some research on temps and weather averages for the area and the
        month.

        http://www.crh.noaa.gov/mqt/

        http://www.crh.noaa.gov/product.php?site=mqt
        <http://www.crh.noaa.gov/product.php?site=mqt&product=REC&issuedby=MQT&gloss
        ary=1> &product=REC&issuedby=MQT&glossary=1

        http://www.crh.noaa.gov/mqt/normals/totalCMX.php

        ... May Normals ...

        Avg Max Temperature: 61.4

        Heating Degree Days: 429

        Avg Min Temperature: 41.2

        Cooling Degree Days: 12

        Avg Temperature: 51.3

        Precipitation: 2.62

        Snowfall: 1.1

        ... May records ...

        Date

        Max

        Yrs

        Min

        Yrs

        Pcp

        Yrs

        Snow

        Yrs

        1

        80

        59

        23

        84

        0.69

        55

        2.4

        96

        2

        78

        74/99

        24

        58/66

        1.01

        54

        6.4

        73

        3

        83

        55

        20

        54

        0.37

        54

        3.7

        54

        4

        84

        80

        20

        54

        0.51

        81

        0.5

        54

        5

        83

        00

        21

        54

        0.37

        82

        2.5

        74

        6

        86

        00

        22

        54

        0.88

        91

        1.4

        91

        7

        81

        53/92

        22

        66

        1.41

        99

        7.5

        54

        8

        83

        93

        25

        54/66

        0.80

        64

        1.0

        62

        9

        87

        93

        21

        66

        1.47

        70

        0.1

        84/97

        10

        84

        92

        22

        81

        0.82

        70

        3.3

        90

        11

        82

        61/91

        27

        63

        0.93

        92

        0.5

        67/71

        12

        82

        77

        27

        53/67

        0.46

        88

        3.5

        97

        13

        82

        87

        23

        53

        1.85

        62

        0.1

        59

        14

        79

        55

        29

        53

        1.06

        74

        0.4

        97

        15

        89

        91

        26

        83

        0.76

        61

        0.6

        97

        16

        91

        62

        25

        56

        0.76

        90

        1.6

        97

        17

        90

        62

        27

        83

        1.18

        77

        Trace

        56

        18

        82

        78/98

        30

        69

        0.94

        64

        0.0

        19

        86

        72

        32

        54/67

        1.07

        62

        0.2

        67

        20

        86

        94

        29

        69

        0.96

        70

        Trace

        67/71

        21

        89

        74

        28

        63

        1.25

        53

        0.6

        63

        22

        94

        64

        27

        63

        0.99

        83

        0.3

        63

        23

        87

        91

        25

        56

        1.45

        64

        Trace

        92

        24

        83

        80

        29

        69

        1.09

        71

        0.0

        25

        86

        65

        28

        69

        0.78

        94

        Trace

        61/70

        26

        91

        78

        29

        69/83

        2.84

        56

        0.4

        70

        27

        86

        77

        33

        71/94

        1.09

        78

        Trace

        65/70

        28

        95

        69

        32

        65

        0.53

        95

        0.4

        66

        29

        88

        99

        34

        64

        1.39

        78

        0.0

        30

        88

        99

        34

        72

        1.08

        53

        0.0

        31

        89

        88

        33

        64

        0.99

        54

        0.0

        Hope this helps!

        Touch of Grey

        _____

        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 11 4:59 PM
          If one of those hammocks is supposed to be more appropriate for
          taller or heavier people, get it. The .7 lbs will be worth it if it
          is more comfortable.

          Aircores don't provide much warmth, do they? You may need a
          different pad in cool weather.

          Bill in Houston

            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 11 8:02 PM

              > .about the matt... i have the BA insulated air core & it starts
              filling chilly to me if it gets much below 60. if you can aford it,
              check out the exped down air mat 7 (DAM).

              FWIW, I saw 5 or 6 BA Insulated Air Cores at the REI member sale in
              San Fran last weekend (Saratoga REI, actually). All were returned for
              leaks. I saw one Exped Downmat 7 returned for leaks. That's where I
              exchanged my old Downmat 7, too...it had a slow leak that I couldn't
              find.

              I've heard great things about the Stephensen's DAM and the prices are
              pretty similar. Gotta put up with some obnoxious colors, though.

              Jeff
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 11 8:46 PM
                ya know... i`ve had problems w/ that too. BA replaced one matt. then it developed a slow leak. i pached it ( after climbing in the tub w/ it to find the leak), & now it`s slowly leaking again.
                so far i`ve not had a leak w/ the expead, but i did manage to snap a valve off. they replaced it w/ a new one from the local outfitter where i bought it.
                the`re extreamly comfortable. i wish they could figure out how to over come the leaks. if i get another DAM some day, i may try the stephensen`s too. ...tim

                .
                Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote:
                ..7 (DAM).
                .FWIW, I saw 5 or 6 BA Insulated Air Cores at the REI member sale in
                San Fran last weekend (Saratoga REI, actually). All were returned for
                leaks. I saw one Exped Downmat 7 returned for leaks. That's where I
                exchanged my old Downmat 7, too...it had a slow leak that I couldn't
                find.

                I've heard great things about the Stephensen's DAM and the prices are
                pretty similar. Gotta put up with some obnoxious colors, though.

                Jeff

              • Marie-Noëlle Augendre
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 12 7:42 AM
                  BA has had problems with some fabric batches, but they seem to have
                  been solved. I wrote an Owner Review about my own Air Core Pad(s) on
                  the BackpackGearTest site: http://tinyurl.com/mvvj6
                  Marie-Noëlle

                  --

                  Retrouvez mes billets d'humeur,
                  et les liens vers mes pages persos
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 12 7:45 AM
                    I'm afraid my signature got stuck with the link I provided; this one
                    should work better http://tinyurl.com/mvvj6

                    Marie-Noëlle

                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 12 9:47 AM
                        I guess there are aircores, insulated aircores, and down insulated
                        aircores (DAMs). So the warmth will vary widely depending on
                        exactly what the OP was asking about...

                        Bill in Houston

                        > .about the matt... i have the BA insulated air core & it starts
                        filling chilly to me if it gets much below 60. if you can aford it,
                        check out the exped down air mat 7 (DAM).
                        > for a few oz more, it`ll take you way down in temperture
                        drops. ...tim

                        > Randal <azman3us@...> wrote:
                        > .
                        > ...Questions – due the BA products utilization of the aircore matt
                        for
                        > insulation can this be used in the HH products? Came up with the
                        idea
                        > of cutting an emergency blanket to fit between the bottom aircore
                        > matt and the sleeve (or pocket) to reflect the heat through the
                        matt
                        > upwards. Also personally love this system as I never slip and
                        slide
                        > off the matt and the bag volume gives me enough room to turn over
                        > easly.
                        >
                        > .
                        > .Thanks
                        >
                        > Randal

                      • Scott
                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 13 9:40 AM
                          Just a suggestion, but could everyone that uses abbreviations (ie: BA,
                          OP, and tons of others) type it out completely at least once in their
                          message? It's taken me a long time to find out what BA was, and that
                          was only because a link was provided by someone, and there are a lot
                          more that have left me (and probably other new people as well)
                          completely confused.

                          Again, just a suggestion.

                          Scott H.
                        • Bill in Houston
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 13 3:58 PM
                            Actually, if you would just ask, it would save us a lot of
                            time. "Needs of the many" and all.

                            OP stands for "original poster".

                            Bill in Houston

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scotth61@...> wrote:

                            > Just a suggestion, but could everyone that uses abbreviations (ie:
                            BA,
                            > OP, and tons of others) type it out completely at least once in their
                            > message? It's taken me a long time to find out what BA was, and that
                            > was only because a link was provided by someone, and there are a lot
                            > more that have left me (and probably other new people as well)
                            > completely confused.
                            >
                            > Again, just a suggestion.
                            >
                            > Scott H.

                          • Scott
                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 13 6:32 PM
                              How could it possibly "save a lot of time"? It takes me time to ask,
                              then it takes you time posting a second message when it could have
                              been made clear at the begining. Needs of the many? How about the
                              "many" new users that join the message board?

                              <zippydooda@...> wrote:

                              > Actually, if you would just ask, it would save us a lot of
                              > time. "Needs of the many" and all.
                              >
                              > OP stands for "original poster".
                              >
                              > Bill in Houston
                            • Rat
                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 13 6:39 PM
                                I think Bill meant to "Just ask" instead of making it an issue "of the
                                boards". OP= Original Post(er) OT= Old Thread BA= Big Agnes (gear
                                manufacturer). Most of them, like IIRC, YMMV, BOTOH you can type into
                                Google for the meaning.

                                Or you try looking here: http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/?lookup=I

                                So, if it's confusing, just ask!

                                Rat

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scotth61@...> wrote:

                                > How could it possibly "save a lot of time"? It takes me time to ask,
                                > then it takes you time posting a second message when it could have
                                > been made clear at the begining. Needs of the many? How about the
                                > "many" new users that join the message board?
                                >
                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill in Houston"
                                > <zippydooda@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Actually, if you would just ask, it would save us a lot of
                                > > time. "Needs of the many" and all.
                                > >
                                > > OP stands for "original poster".
                                > >
                                > > Bill in Houston

                              • Bill in Houston
                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 13 7:13 PM
                                  You can hit "reply" and type "What's a DAM?" or What's ENO?" and hit
                                  send. That will take less time than if we all spelled out Hennessy
                                  Hammock the 46 times in a day that it comes up. It's okay to ask
                                  questions.

                                  Bill in Houston

                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scotth61@...> wrote:

                                  > How could it possibly "save a lot of time"? It takes me time to ask,
                                  > then it takes you time posting a second message when it could have
                                  > been made clear at the begining. Needs of the many? How about the
                                  > "many" new users that join the message board?
                                • Ralph Oborn
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 13 7:41 PM
                                    Can we create new abbreviations for Speer Hammock (SH)
                                    Clark hammock (CH)
                                    Mosquito Hammock (MH)
                                    Risk test hammock (RH)

                                    Others?

                                    Ralph :] (HH, RH, RH)

                                  • Jeff
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 13 8:16 PM

                                      > Others?

                                      How about RH for Ralph's Hilarious? Oh wait, that's a conflict.
                                      Maybe RpH. Anyone volunteer to be the hcAC (hammockcamping
                                      Abbreviation Coordinator)?

                                      Jeff
                                    • Ralph Oborn
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 13 8:47 PM
                                        On 8/13/06, Jeff <jwj32542@...> wrote:

                                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@...>
                                        > wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Others?
                                        >
                                        > How about RH for Ralph's Hilarious? Oh wait, that's a conflict.
                                        > Maybe RpH. Anyone volunteer to be the hcAC (hammockcamping
                                        > Abbreviation Coordinator)?
                                        >
                                        > Jeff

                                        Actually Scott has a reasonable request. IMHO!

                                        I still get hung up, on DAM, And whatever the abbreviations you guys use for
                                        different grades of water proof material (DWR) ??? Urethane coated etc?
                                        And there are an awful lot of new people coming in, lets make it as easy as
                                        we can for them to be excited about hammocking. Lets make it easy for them
                                        to follow along with the discussions. Lets make it easy for them to have fun
                                        here also. Lets be nice to these guys.

                                        Now all we need is a strap limerick contest. :]

                                        Ralph

                                        PS IMHO = In My Honest (or Humble) Opinion

                                      • Matthew
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Aug 13 9:21 PM
                                          Rat,
                                          nice link. Hope everyone appreciates it and uses it. I know I will.
                                          Kinda got a little tense around here. Thought we were here to talk
                                          gear, not verbage.
                                          Everybody "Lighten up". LOL :)
                                          Matt
                                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rat" <hogn8r2004@...> wrote:

                                          > I think Bill meant to "Just ask" instead of making it an issue "of
                                          the
                                          > boards". OP= Original Post(er) OT= Old Thread BA= Big Agnes (gear
                                          > manufacturer). Most of them, like IIRC, YMMV, BOTOH you can type
                                          into
                                          > Google for the meaning.
                                          >
                                          > Or you try looking here: http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/?lookup=I
                                          >
                                          > So, if it's confusing, just ask!
                                          >
                                          > Rat
                                          >
                                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scotth61@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > How could it possibly "save a lot of time"? It takes me time to
                                          ask,
                                          (cut)

                                          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Bill in Houston"
                                          > > <zippydooda@> wrote:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Actually, if you would just ask, it would save us a lot of
                                          > > > time. "Needs of the many" and all.
                                          (cut)
                                          > > > Bill in Houston

                                        • Keith
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 13 10:41 PM
                                            I'll volunteer for the hcAC position if you'll sign up for the ogKE
                                            slot, Jeff!! :P

                                            (old guy who Knows Everything)

                                            Joking!!

                                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Oborn" <Ralph.oborn@>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Others?
                                            >
                                            > How about RH for Ralph's Hilarious? Oh wait, that's a conflict.
                                            > Maybe RpH. Anyone volunteer to be the hcAC (hammockcamping
                                            > Abbreviation Coordinator)?
                                            >
                                            > Jeff

                                          • Scott
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Aug 13 11:13 PM
                                              I wasn't trying to start any wars about it... just making a suggestion
                                              that would be very helpful to new uwers, such as myself. Those of you
                                              that have been around since the group started have the advantage over
                                              just about everyone else. I know, and I suspect that pretty much
                                              everyone that uses computers now, are aware of most of the 'standard'
                                              acronymns (IMHO, IIRC, etc.), but now that you mention it, OT usually
                                              stands for OFF TOPIC on message boards. It doesn't take someone
                                              that's already typing very long to finish typing a word completely.
                                              Maybe it'd take a couple of seconds more, and I don't have to post a
                                              message, and then wait even longer to see a reply. I can read it once
                                              (not '46 times a day') and continue happily reading, and understanding
                                              more.

                                              But anyway. As I said, it was just a suggestion. If some of you feel
                                              that it's just too much trouble to make things more understandable for
                                              everyone, then forget it.

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Aug 14 3:42 AM
                                                no, it`s a good point. i`ll try to be sure & remember... when talking about something that`s not already been clarified in a recent post, to start w/ spelling it out, then adding the abbreviation... big agness (BA).
                                                i`ve looked up or figgured out most of the abbreviations but there are a few i still need to look-up on the link someone gave :~) ...tim

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Aug 14 1:13 PM
                                                  *http://tinyurl.com/5o61* <http://tinyurl.com/5o61>

                                                  On 8/13/06, Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:

                                                  > Actually, if you would just ask, it would save us a lot of
                                                  > time. "Needs of the many" and all.
                                                  >
                                                  > OP stands for "original poster".
                                                  >
                                                  > Bill in Houston

                                                • Bill in Houston
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Aug 14 2:42 PM
                                                    Thanks Scott.

                                                    Some of these may differ from their online use since they are for
                                                    text messaging.

                                                    Bill in Houston

                                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri"

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Aug 14 5:28 PM
                                                      Ralph Oborn wrote:
                                                      > Can we create new abbreviations for Speer Hammock (SH)
                                                      > Clark hammock (CH)
                                                      > Mosquito Hammock (MH)
                                                      > Risk test hammock (RH)
                                                      >
                                                      > Others?

                                                      <giggle>

                                                      Risk
                                                    • Dylan Anderson
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Aug 23 9:21 AM
                                                        Hello Randal, and welcome to the forum.

                                                        I must apologize, I have been off the board for a
                                                        couple of weeks, so I am sorry this is late getting to
                                                        you, but I might be able to offer a bit of help. I
                                                        too am from AZ, the Arrowhead section of Phoenix to be
                                                        precise, and own a pair of Hennessy's. One is the
                                                        biggest, the Safari Model with the stock (2lb) Hex
                                                        fly. The other is an Explorer model, though I don't
                                                        recall if the ultralight version was out when I
                                                        ordered it. In any case though, I would be happy to
                                                        get together so that you can try them out in person.
                                                        Heck, I am always looking for local people to camp
                                                        with and would even be up for a weekend overnighter if
                                                        schedules could be worked out. Just let me know if
                                                        you are interested and we can go from there!

                                                        http://mail.yahoo.com