Re: [Hammock Camping] Tarp

  • Dick Matthews
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 9, 2006
      Matt,

      The Campmor Ultralite Extension Poncho/Tarp will keep the hammock dry in
      a blowing rain, but if you want some room to cook and store gear the
      MacCat Deluxe is a great option.

      http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm

      Last weekend it rained from Saturday afternoon to Sunday morning in Lost
      Creek Wilderness. Cooking under the MacCat Deluxe Saturday evening was
      a real treat.

      Dick Matthews
      Wheat Ridge, CO

      lakewood_matt wrote:

      >Can anyone recommend a larger aftermarket tarp for the HH. The oem tarp is small and I
      >will be in rainy conditions this weekend. It would be nice to have a larger dry spot
      >underneath. Thanks!
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • lakewood_matt
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 9, 2006
        Thanks Dick,

        You always have great info plus you live in Colorado. Maybe we should
        do a trip sometime.I have looked at the MacCat and I like it too.
        I will order one soon. This weekend I suppose I will have to get
        creative with my space blanket tarp. We will be doing Kroenke Lake in
        the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness. Now it's only showing a 30% chance of
        rain which is fairly normal for Colorado.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dick Matthews <dick@...> wrote:

        > Matt,
        >
        > The Campmor Ultralite Extension Poncho/Tarp will keep the hammock
        dry in
        > a blowing rain, but if you want some room to cook and store gear
        the
        > MacCat Deluxe is a great option.
        >
        > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
        >
        > Last weekend it rained from Saturday afternoon to Sunday morning in
        Lost
        > Creek Wilderness. Cooking under the MacCat Deluxe Saturday evening
        was
        > a real treat.
        >
        > Dick Matthews
        > Wheat Ridge, CO
        >

        > lakewood_matt wrote:
        >
        > >Can anyone recommend a larger aftermarket tarp for the HH. The oem
        tarp is small and I
        > >will be in rainy conditions this weekend. It would be nice to have
        a larger dry spot
        > >underneath. Thanks!
        > >

        > >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 9, 2006
          hey scott, you got a posesed tree in yur yard. I'd be careful ifin
          I were you...

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri"
          <hacktorious@...> wrote:

          > I agree as I was caught in a storm last week. It worked very
          well. Reading
          > Ed's book also gave me some good tips to help out. I found a spot
          in some
          > cover, which helped a great deal to block the rain and wind.
          >
          > I remained dry throughout the night, no matter how bad it got
          outside. It
          > subsided midway through the night.
          >
          > I found that my tarp makes a good cover if I roll up the hammock,
          or move it
          > out of the way. Rolling it up is great during rain because it
          prevents the
          > hammock from getting wet. Here are some

          photos<http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/hacktorious/slideshow?.dir=/eda2re2
          &.src=ph>to
          > give you an idea of what I mean.
          >
          > Have you ever tried an asym tarp on a Speer hammock? I would not
          think it
          > would be any different. I am going to make a Speer hammock in the
          near
          > future and am debating if I will make an asym, cat, or rectangle
          fly for
          > it. Whatever I make, it has to be camo. LOL
          >
          > --
          > Scott A. Macri
          > Trail Name: Mowgli
          > www.HikeHaven.com
          > http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious
          >
          > On 8/9/06, Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I bought my HH Expedition during the father's day sale and it
          came with
          > > their hex tarp in addition to the standard tarp. I like the hex
          tarp a lot
          > > for a back up in case of ground dwelling, and I pitched it in
          addition to
          > > the stock tarp for sun shade. Wanting to test the stock tarp
          however, when
          > > storms approached I put on the stock tarp and took shelter. The
          storm was
          > > doozie and my two trees had nothing but air between them and
          water on both
          > > sides. The stock tarp worked fine. My bet is better than if I
          had used the
          > > larger tarp, since the punishing winds would have had more to
          pull at with
          > > larger tarp. The hammock got a little damp from wind-blown
          spray, but my
          > > pal
          > > got wet in his tent by rain blowing up under the fly and through
          the vent
          > > holes at the top of his tent.
          > >
          > > Moral of the story - If properly pitched, I think the stock tarp
          is a good
          > > solution to keeping you dry while in the hammock. If you are
          looking for a
          > > place to cook and otherwise hang out when not in the hammock,
          then use
          > > anything you like and forget about pitching it over the hammock.
          Just
          > > pitch
          > > it off to the side and enjoy. They don't supply that stock tarp
          just
          > > because
          > > it looks pretty!
          > >
          > > That's one man's opinion - YMMV!
          > >
          > > Safe travels,
          > >
          > > Carey

        • Scott Macri
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 9, 2006
            It started yelling and calling me names when I tied the tree huggers around
            it. LOL :)

            --

            On 8/9/06, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

            > hey scott, you got a posesed tree in yur yard. I'd be careful ifin
            > I were you...
            >
            > Coy Boy

          • lakewood_matt
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 9, 2006
              Thanks Scott,

              That is a great idea. That should get me by this weekend.

            • Scott Macri
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 9, 2006
                Let me know if it works for you too.

                --
                Scott A. Macri
                Trail Name: Mowgli
                www.HikeHaven.com
                http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

                Let me know if it works out for you too.

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 9, 2006
                  Nice little lake nestled between Harvard, Columbia and Yale. We want
                  pictures.

                  Dick Matthews
                  Wheat Ridge, CO