Re: [Hammock Camping] Tarp

  • Scott Macri
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 9, 2006
      I agree as I was caught in a storm last week. It worked very well. Reading
      Ed's book also gave me some good tips to help out. I found a spot in some
      cover, which helped a great deal to block the rain and wind.

      I remained dry throughout the night, no matter how bad it got outside. It
      subsided midway through the night.

      I found that my tarp makes a good cover if I roll up the hammock, or move it
      out of the way. Rolling it up is great during rain because it prevents the
      hammock from getting wet. Here are some
      photos<http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/hacktorious/slideshow?.dir=/eda2re2&.src=ph>to
      give you an idea of what I mean.

      Have you ever tried an asym tarp on a Speer hammock? I would not think it
      would be any different. I am going to make a Speer hammock in the near
      future and am debating if I will make an asym, cat, or rectangle fly for
      it. Whatever I make, it has to be camo. LOL

      --
      Scott A. Macri
      Trail Name: Mowgli

      On 8/9/06, Carey Parks <cjp129@...> wrote:

      > I bought my HH Expedition during the father's day sale and it came with
      > their hex tarp in addition to the standard tarp. I like the hex tarp a lot
      > for a back up in case of ground dwelling, and I pitched it in addition to
      > the stock tarp for sun shade. Wanting to test the stock tarp however, when
      > storms approached I put on the stock tarp and took shelter. The storm was
      > doozie and my two trees had nothing but air between them and water on both
      > sides. The stock tarp worked fine. My bet is better than if I had used the
      > larger tarp, since the punishing winds would have had more to pull at with
      > larger tarp. The hammock got a little damp from wind-blown spray, but my
      > pal
      > got wet in his tent by rain blowing up under the fly and through the vent
      > holes at the top of his tent.
      >
      > Moral of the story - If properly pitched, I think the stock tarp is a good
      > solution to keeping you dry while in the hammock. If you are looking for a
      > place to cook and otherwise hang out when not in the hammock, then use
      > anything you like and forget about pitching it over the hammock. Just
      > pitch
      > it off to the side and enjoy. They don't supply that stock tarp just
      > because
      > it looks pretty!
      >
      > That's one man's opinion - YMMV!
      >
      > Safe travels,
      >
      > Carey

    • Dick Matthews
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 9, 2006
        Matt,

        The Campmor Ultralite Extension Poncho/Tarp will keep the hammock dry in
        a blowing rain, but if you want some room to cook and store gear the
        MacCat Deluxe is a great option.

        http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm

        Last weekend it rained from Saturday afternoon to Sunday morning in Lost
        Creek Wilderness. Cooking under the MacCat Deluxe Saturday evening was
        a real treat.

        Dick Matthews
        Wheat Ridge, CO

        lakewood_matt wrote:

        >Can anyone recommend a larger aftermarket tarp for the HH. The oem tarp is small and I
        >will be in rainy conditions this weekend. It would be nice to have a larger dry spot
        >underneath. Thanks!
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • lakewood_matt
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 9, 2006
          Thanks Dick,

          You always have great info plus you live in Colorado. Maybe we should
          do a trip sometime.I have looked at the MacCat and I like it too.
          I will order one soon. This weekend I suppose I will have to get
          creative with my space blanket tarp. We will be doing Kroenke Lake in
          the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness. Now it's only showing a 30% chance of
          rain which is fairly normal for Colorado.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dick Matthews <dick@...> wrote:

          > Matt,
          >
          > The Campmor Ultralite Extension Poncho/Tarp will keep the hammock
          dry in
          > a blowing rain, but if you want some room to cook and store gear
          the
          > MacCat Deluxe is a great option.
          >
          > http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/maccattarps.htm
          >
          > Last weekend it rained from Saturday afternoon to Sunday morning in
          Lost
          > Creek Wilderness. Cooking under the MacCat Deluxe Saturday evening
          was
          > a real treat.
          >
          > Dick Matthews
          > Wheat Ridge, CO
          >

          > lakewood_matt wrote:
          >
          > >Can anyone recommend a larger aftermarket tarp for the HH. The oem
          tarp is small and I
          > >will be in rainy conditions this weekend. It would be nice to have
          a larger dry spot
          > >underneath. Thanks!
          > >

          > >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 9, 2006
            hey scott, you got a posesed tree in yur yard. I'd be careful ifin
            I were you...

            Coy Boy

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Macri"
            <hacktorious@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > larger tarp, since the punishing winds would have had more to
            pull at with
            > > larger tarp. The hammock got a little damp from wind-blown
            spray, but my
            > > pal
            > > got wet in his tent by rain blowing up under the fly and through
            the vent
            > > holes at the top of his tent.
            > >
            > > Moral of the story - If properly pitched, I think the stock tarp
            is a good
            > > solution to keeping you dry while in the hammock. If you are
            looking for a
            > > place to cook and otherwise hang out when not in the hammock,
            then use
            > > anything you like and forget about pitching it over the hammock.
            Just
            > > pitch
            > > it off to the side and enjoy. They don't supply that stock tarp

          • Scott Macri
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 9, 2006
              It started yelling and calling me names when I tied the tree huggers around
              it. LOL :)

              --

              On 8/9/06, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:

              > hey scott, you got a posesed tree in yur yard. I'd be careful ifin
              > I were you...
              >
              > Coy Boy

            • lakewood_matt
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 9, 2006
                Thanks Scott,

                That is a great idea. That should get me by this weekend.

              • Scott Macri
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 9, 2006
                  Let me know if it works for you too.

                  --
                  Scott A. Macri
                  Trail Name: Mowgli
                  www.HikeHaven.com
                  http://360.yahoo.com/hacktorious

                  Let me know if it works out for you too.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 9, 2006
                    Nice little lake nestled between Harvard, Columbia and Yale. We want
                    pictures.

                    Dick Matthews
                    Wheat Ridge, CO